When did Jon Snow become your favorite character?

I love Jon. His "bastardness" has been thrown on his face continuously as if it were his fault, yet he has always maintained his dignity and love for his siblings. I did not like Cate's resentment of him, but I don't know how I would have reacted if I had been put in that position. I wish he hadn't hooked up with Ygritte. I don't think this was too consistent with his character, but I guess that was the best way for GRRM to give us an inside view of the Wildlings (no pun intended). I hope he makes it.

Jon was never my favorite character, in fact I skipped his chapters until ADWDs because they were boring, then I went back and skimmed them and they were mildly interesting, but killed by his depressed nature.

Since the first chapters of the books. Being the bastard, and of course resenting the unfair stigma it put on him (tis only human, and not even in a bad way, because it is unfair, and irrational, and cruel, like many other timeworn customs), but obviously caring about and looking out for his younger half-siblings anyway. Persuading Ned to let his "trueborn" children keep the first five direwolf pups, then spotting another one, which turned out to be the coolest anyway (ha ha). His other interactions with his other family members. Just kept getting better from there, from my POV. Like, actually learning and maturing and stuff.

Did he really say "I think not Greyjoy, this one's mine?" Kid had foresight. Should have said, "go get yerself sum squidz, dude."

Not my favorite. Didn't actually like him for a long time, always had a cool story thou.

Then I read ASOS.

Wow! Every chapter after(& including) that old man getting his throat slit by Ygritte till after the battle of castle black was awsome

At the point in Clash when he chose not to kill Ygritte.

Also, when the wildlings pursued Quhorin and Jon across the Frostfangs. Pure adrenaline. Damn, I love a good chase scene.

For the first few chapters, when he was bonding with Tyrion, Tyrion stole Jon's chapters. I mean his opinion on books and just the line "For once in his life, Tyrion stood as tall as a king."

But then I realized that there was 2 sides to that relationship, and once Tyrion left the wall, I realized jon was a great character to.

So I guess when he started learning lessons on the wall, and realized the wall wasn't what he thought it was

Jon was never my favorite character, in fact I skipped his chapters until ADWDs because they were boring, then I went back and skimmed them and they were mildly interesting, but killed by his depressed nature.

Skipping chapters on a first read?Way to read a book.

I don't get the Jon hate.Not as witty as Tyrion or Jaime POV's,but that's what Dolorous Ed was for.

He has made mistakes,but he is barely a man grown.

Someone mentioned the Halfhand and it made me wonder if it foreshadows a Nissa Nissa event?

ETA The bit where he gives Arya Needle and her recurring fond recollections of him,and his for her.

Because I always like third sons and bastards, I've liked Jon from the start, and he's never given me a good enough reason to grow out of like with him. Unlike Dany and Tyrion, about whom I'm currently somewhat on the fence after the last book.

On my first read I wasn't initially a massive fan. But his chapters with Qhorin, the rangers and Ygritte in the Skirling Pass really changed my mind. Those chapters in particular are among my favourite in the series, and since then his POV has been one of my favourites. His chapters in Storm and Dance were consistently excellent, and now I always look forward to them (and hopefully we get plenty more of them!)

Archived