Walking Dead: Show and Graphic Novel Comparison

Young Wolf

I don't know anything about this Morrisey guy who was hired to play the Governor, but I sure hope he can play batshit insane.

Also wonder if they'll include his daughter.

If the daughter isn't in there, they've done something wrong.

The prison/guv/doc thing starts a central theme (at least to me) in the books. I never pays to keep a zombie around for a pet/sport/experiments. That shit always ends poorly.

That and the penis vs. nail scene needs to be in there as well.

Oh, I think they will keep all the disgusting or creepy details, not to worry. Even his pulling out her teeth to be able to kiss her zombie-self, I imagine.

Has any of you read that book on the Governor (Rise of the Governor, is it?)? Do you think they might somehow include that background information on the show?

Oh, I think they will keep all the disgusting or creepy details, not to worry. Even his pulling out her teeth to be able to kiss her zombie-self, I imagine.

Has any of you read that book on the Governor (Rise of the Governor, is it?)? Do you think they might somehow include that background information on the show?

I dunno. Keeping him nameless/mysterious has a certain appeal. On the flip side of that, fleshing the guy out might be beneficial to the TV crowd to show the rick/guv parallels.

Season 1 of the show was actually just as good as the comic. It kept the overall feel but sent everyone on a different path to CDC which was ejoyable (but a tiny rewrite here and there made Lori 20times worse. egads, I've never wanted to kill a chara with my bare hands before!)

season 2... not so much good... outside of episode 1 and all of "Daryl in the woods looking for a kid" scenes

altho I am glad for show having Daryl, he's awesome. Too bad about loss of Dale tho

Really hoping show won't have The Governor.. 'cause.. really... thats not same w/out Michionne and would be a tad too violent for telly anyways

Season 1 of the show was actually just as good as the comic. It kept the overall feel but sent everyone on a different path to CDC which was ejoyable (but a tiny rewrite here and there made Lori 20times worse. egads, I've never wanted to kill a chara with my bare hands before!)

season 2... not so much good... outside of episode 1 and all of "Daryl in the woods looking for a kid" scenes

altho I am glad for show having Daryl, he's awesome. Too bad about loss of Dale tho

Really hoping show won't have The Governor.. 'cause.. really... thats not same w/out Michionne and would be a tad too violent for telly anyways

?

They've already cast him:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/02/walking-dead-david-morrissey/

I'm actually kind of upset tyrese hasn't shown up yet.

While I agree the show has rambled a bit on occassion the same could be said for the comic.

I actually like the TV show in that the use the comic as a basic structure that they then remodel/shape as they see fit - so unlike the TV version of AGOT, for example, there are enough surprises that people that have read the comics can enjoy them without the problem of knowing what happens next.

I'm slowly reading the comics (just finished volume 2) and I have to say I like some of the tv characters better than the comics. I like tv Andrea, Herscel and Shane. In fact I really liked crazy ass Shane but he was overdue to die and I think they wrote him off superbly. That scene between Rick/Shane was amazing.

Daryl has definitely been a great addition to the story. I hope they do eventually put his character in the comics.

The irony of this thread is that now I'll panic someone spoils the comics. as i only read it in GN format! Could we have spoilers on non-collected issues by any chance? A third thread would seem crazy.

I still think there was only really episode 1 and 6 of the first season that were really good. I'd say the midseason break episodes have been the strongest on the whole.

I wonder with Robert Kirkman being so heavily involved if there are parts of the show where he's correcting mistakes he made in the comic? For instance he maybe wished he'd kept Shane around for longer or had them account the CDC? Maybe he thinks Dale doesn't have theat much to contribute (although i think that was probably the actor wanting out more than anything). The fact he's putting Darryl in the comic is fun to me in the sense that Kirkman is cross-pollinating ideas from the show and comic.

In terms of the shows pacing it does seem crazy how it is slower than the comics. Then again I read the comics in 6-8 issues sittings whereas I watch the show weekly (or save up several and watch one a day).

I really, really hope that we get a season in the prison. There were some great stories in there and I'm hoping the presence of the governor doesn't speed up their time at the prison. At this stage i'm worried that they just arrive at the Governor's town and spend a season trying to escape (although that could be interesting if handled well).

I agree with others that Tyreese and Michonne need to be introduced into the show soon. Tyreese had some great moments and his death (along with the other main cast deaths) really give the "siege" storyline a massive emotional punch (and still remains my favourite arc in the series - it has yet to top the prison era IMO). Having the Governor without Michonne also seems like madness - unless they want to put Andrea through all of that shit (I don't think her character is strong enough to endure it given her suicide issues).

As for David Morrisey I'm sure he can do insane. He's quite a versatile actor (he kind of played Doctor who for an episode and was excellent in "red riding"). Given how many actors turned up in Game of Thrones from "red riding" I was kind of hoping he'd turn up in that show at some stage. I guess there's still time for him though.

I wonder with Robert Kirkman being so heavily involved if there are parts of the show where he's correcting mistakes he made in the comic? For instance he maybe wished he'd kept Shane around for longer or had them account the CDC? Maybe he thinks Dale doesn't have theat much to contribute (although i think that was probably the actor wanting out more than anything). The fact he's putting Darryl in the comic is fun to me in the sense that Kirkman is cross-pollinating ideas from the show and comic.

From what I've read they decided to keep Shane longer because they loved the actor's characterization, and Dale's death was just their way to say: No one but Rick is safe, anyone can die at any moment. And that part of the reason they may be putting Daryll in the comics was the actor's insistence to become a comic book character xD

I think Kirkman might be enjoying the opportunity to write a different version of the GN (like a prolonged "What If" in the Marvel universe), but I really don't see how one could depend on the other. They're wholly different stories, that seems clearer to me after season two.

I don't believe Tyreese will be cast at this point - I mean, his main purposes in the comics was to balance Rick and help him become a stronger leader (what Shane already did, in a way), get involved with Carol (but we do have Daryl ^.^) and have the kids killed for them to learn that everyone would turn into zombie as they died anyway (which Shane's death has already done). He could show up in different circumstances, of course, but I think if they do create a character named "Tyreese" for the show, nothing but his name will be the same as in the comics, and maybe the existence of a stupid daughter (kind of like they did with Carol and Sophia). Well, if he was as badass as in the GN I certainly wouldn't complain of his appearing! And Michonne, they revealed she will be next season - they wouldn't dare eliminate her with the samurai sword and the governor conflict!

Now, as to comparing TV show and graphic novel... I think the first season managed to be as great as the GN, the changes didn't ruin anything. But the second season... really, did they have to stay in the farm that long? What I like about TWD, both comics and show, is the human drama of living in post-zombie apocalypse world. The GN are simply perfect in that sense, as was the first season, but the second season was turned into an alpha-male warzone, and there's nothing more annoying than that - not to mention the soap-opera subplot with Lori divided between two men, only worsening their alpha-male fight. That was the main reason why I wanted Shane to be killed as soon as possible - when the character was reduced to that, in both GN and show, he lost all appeal to me. I have nothing against a slow pace and focus on human problems instead of brainless action - on the contrary, I love it! But only when it's well-written enough to focus in the group, not just three or four characters.

I mean, look at all of them. Each character had an important role only in one, two episodes at most - except for T-Dog and Hershell's son, of course. I want to see their development, dammit! Not just a bunch of people on the background while Rick and Shane try to decide who's the strongest wolf in the pack!

As to the changes they made in the characters... well, I love book!Andrea, but so far show!Andrea has been nothing but annoying. I had hoped Dale would be the one to make her interesting once more - but then they killed him (btw, I think Dale was the only one to remain the same from the comics, and maybe Glen as well). Carol, well... her crazy-self version interested in getting into Lori's and Rick's bed was much more fun to read. I mean, if they kept working on her after Sophia's death I wouldn't complain, but the way it's going... I will always love Hershell, no matter how inadequate to that world he is. ^.^ And Maggie, well... I just hope that in the show she won't become as irrelevant as in the GN. But I do find it interesting that it's taking longer for show!Rick and show!Carl to become their harder selfs. It sounds more realistic in this case, since winter hasn't even arrived yet. (or am I reading too much ASoIaF?). And Lori is the one who manages to be as annoying in the show as in the comics - kill her already, Kirkman! That way Rick would grow, at least...

I will put this under spoiler tags because it seems there are people who haven't got that far in the comics yet. This refers to what happens after they leave the prison:

Well, I assume they won't return to the farm in the show, since, apparently, it will shortly be ruled by zombies. So what do you think will happen when/if they are forced to leave the prison, if it happens in the same violent way as in the comics, with half the group dying? (I doubt it, they will not want to fire that amount of actors at once, but still) They will simply hit the road and end up in Washington? Or Kirkman will create a new place, like the CDC? Because they will need more time to heal after the slaughter... I'm just curious as to how they'll find Abraham's group ^.^

I don't know if it was posted in the other thread or somewhere else but there's a web-comic that has a funny (though sad) take on why Dale died. I can't find it, but the summary was basically: an AMC suit stepped in and killed Dale because he was one of the more known actors on the show, thus cost too much. Jon Hamm needed to buy a new condo in Belize, so Dale had to die.

The irony of this thread is that now I'll panic someone spoils the comics. as i only read it in GN format! Could we have spoilers on non-collected issues by any chance? A third thread would seem crazy.

Are the GN different from the comics? I thought the GN's were just a way to buy and read a consecutive set of comics at once? I think just to be safe maybe spoiler tags should be used after the prison era...just to be safe. But honestly, I am so dang ass nosy I always have to look at the spoilers just because I just HAVE to know. So spoiler tags really make no difference to me but I get why others want them.

From what I've read they decided to keep Shane longer because they loved the actor's characterization, and Dale's death was just their way to say: No one but Rick is safe, anyone can die at any moment. And that part of the reason they may be putting Daryll in the comics was the actor's insistence to become a comic book character xD

I think Kirkman might be enjoying the opportunity to write a different version of the GN (like a prolonged "What If" in the Marvel universe), but I really don't see how one could depend on the other. They're wholly different stories, that seems clearer to me after season two.

I don't believe Tyreese will be cast at this point - I mean, his main purposes in the comics was to balance Rick and help him become a stronger leader (what Shane already did, in a way), get involved with Carol (but we do have Daryl ^.^) and have the kids killed for them to learn that everyone would turn into zombie as they died anyway (which Shane's death has already done). He could show up in different circumstances, of course, but I think if they do create a character named "Tyreese" for the show, nothing but his name will be the same as in the comics, and maybe the existence of a stupid daughter (kind of like they did with Carol and Sophia). Well, if he was as badass as in the GN I certainly wouldn't complain of his appearing! And Michonne, they revealed she will be next season - they wouldn't dare eliminate her with the samurai sword and the governor conflict!

Now, as to comparing TV show and graphic novel... I think the first season managed to be as great as the GN, the changes didn't ruin anything. But the second season... really, did they have to stay in the farm that long? What I like about TWD, both comics and show, is the human drama of living in post-zombie apocalypse world. The GN are simply perfect in that sense, as was the first season, but the second season was turned into an alpha-male warzone, and there's nothing more annoying than that - not to mention the soap-opera subplot with Lori divided between two men, only worsening their alpha-male fight. That was the main reason why I wanted Shane to be killed as soon as possible - when the character was reduced to that, in both GN and show, he lost all appeal to me. I have nothing against a slow pace and focus on human problems instead of brainless action - on the contrary, I love it! But only when it's well-written enough to focus in the group, not just three or four characters.

I mean, look at all of them. Each character had an important role only in one, two episodes at most - except for T-Dog and Hershell's son, of course. I want to see their development, dammit! Not just a bunch of people on the background while Rick and Shane try to decide who's the strongest wolf in the pack!

As to the changes they made in the characters... well, I love book!Andrea, but so far show!Andrea has been nothing but annoying. I had hoped Dale would be the one to make her interesting once more - but then they killed him (btw, I think Dale was the only one to remain the same from the comics, and maybe Glen as well). Carol, well... her crazy-self version interested in getting into Lori's and Rick's bed was much more fun to read. I mean, if they kept working on her after Sophia's death I wouldn't complain, but the way it's going... I will always love Hershell, no matter how inadequate to that world he is. ^.^ And Maggie, well... I just hope that in the show she won't become as irrelevant as in the GN. But I do find it interesting that it's taking longer for show!Rick and show!Carl to become their harder selfs. It sounds more realistic in this case, since winter hasn't even arrived yet. (or am I reading too much ASoIaF?). And Lori is the one who manages to be as annoying in the show as in the comics - kill her already, Kirkman! That way Rick would grow, at least...

I'm so glad they did keep Shane because Jon Bernthal made the character so very awesome. I think Rick has been the voice of reason balanced out by Shane, the voice of impulsivity. And Shane is believable to me because I know many a man that think on that level of impulse, whereas in my encounters women are more the likely candidate for the voice of reasoning.

After I read the GN's I was kind of put off by Carol's character - it's so different from the show - I liked that she was not as weak and timid but

when she keeps trying to get in Rick/Lori's pants but then decides that when Tyreese actually does get a little side action, it is worthy of a suicide attempt? Really? That just seemed like a really teenage move to me and only served to work my last nerve

I actually like the pace of the show as well - just because it focuses on the internal group struggles. Plus, like I said, I really liked Shane's character. But I also like the Lannisters, so I guess I just love the craziness all the "villain" characters lend the more grounded ones.

Both Hershel's are fantastic. I like the show Hershel because he reminds me of any Grandpa you might meet and I loved the story arc of him coming to the realization that they are no longer in a moral world.

But Lori.... either version is annoying. At least in the GN most of her behavior was justifiably blamed on hormonal mood swings. I know first hand that pregnancy hormones can do some awful stuff to an otherwise sane and rational person, so it didn't seem that far-fetched to me. However, it is still obnoxious even if it is justifiable.

The Graphic Novels are exactly the same as the comics but they can only come out after 6-8 issues (depending on the story) of the comic have been released. As such people reading the comics can be 8 months ahead of GN readers so they can potentially spoil things.

Lady Octarina. I didn't mean the stories depend on each other. I'm just saying there's plenty of evidence that Kirkman is taking advantage of two alternative stories about the same thing. He's adding new characters/plots to the show (that he maybe regreted not having in the comic), ditching characters he maybe felt were uneccessary and now he's adding characters made for the show into the comic. I think this is a very clever approach, personally. Although I'm hoping GRRM doesn't do the same thing and introduce Ros into the winds of winter!

After I read the GN's I was kind of put off by Carol's character - it's so different from the show - I liked that she was not as weak and timid but

when she keeps trying to get in Rick/Lori's pants but then decides that when Tyreese actually does get a little side action, it is worthy of a suicide attempt? Really? That just seemed like a really teenage move to me and only served to work my last nerve

[...]

Both Hershel's are fantastic. I like the show Hershel because he reminds me of any Grandpa you might meet and I loved the story arc of him coming to the realization that they are no longer in a moral world.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not that I like GN!Carol, it's just that I had fun with her craziness! :rofl:

And Hershel, well... he's ultra religious in both versions, but the show did add a little more believability with the alcoholism story and his finally acknowledging that world was doomed (I don't recall that happening in the comics).

Although I'm hoping GRRM doesn't do the same thing and introduce Ros into the winds of winter!

So much THIS. After all the changes they made in True Blood and The Walking Dead, I really fear what they will do with GoT, but that's another discussion. ;)

And Hershel, well... he's ultra religious in both versions, but the show did add a little more believability with the alcoholism story and his finally acknowledging that world was doomed (I don't recall that happening in the comics).

In the comics he has his "come to Jesus" moment after he kicked Rick and the group off the farm (after he found Glenn and Maggie in bed together). After they find the prison, Rick goes back for Hershel and his family and discover they'd been attacked and Hershel is much more willing to follow from that point on.

Archived