Walking Dead: Show and Graphic Novel Comparison

Young Wolf

Wow what a massacre.

Pretty exciting show tonight. I really do hate Lori for the mentioned reasons. How can they make a character so unlikable? Sophie's mom is annoying but I guess she is the balance Daryl needs. I would be shocked with the news Rick delivered but I don't see the point in reproaching him for it. What difference did it make? Would they have liked to know then so they might have made an informed decision at the CDC and let themselves be blown up?

So I did a quick search on the samurai chick and it said she was a similar character to Andrea in that she was an attorney who is adapting to the zombie Apocalypse. Is that to imply she is a self taught samurai? That is full on retarded if that is the case. One does not simply pick up a sword and become a samurai.

She isn't a samurai. She found the sword in her geeky neighbor's house. She's had had ample opportunity to use it on zombies, but she isn't a samurai.

I suppose practise makes perfect. You just get the impression from that quick glance that she was wielding it with the proficiency of an actual samurai, which is a life long study. But so long as they make her character good I'll be happy.

With the prison foreshadowed for next season what can we expect? I have not read the comics but now I fear we will have them safely locked away from the zombies and focusing on the character drama.

I think they are going to have to make a few more changes or reliable additions to the group, to set up shop in the prison. In the comics that motherfucker was overrun big time. There were 4 inmates in there? The group was a bit bigger as well and could do more of a clean up outside.

If I had to guess they are going to make the prison either (1) less infested with zombies, (2) bolster the group with a few more bodies like a couple of surviving guards or prisoners, or (3) allow Hershel to bust out his Shotgun of Neverending Ammo again, along with his +5 Dexterity Cloak and let him go to town.

I also wanted to add I liked comic Dale much better than tv show Dale. Im interested to see if they even bring up

you can cut off a limb that is bitten and survive

?

Well, I already talked about most of the season finale in the other thread, but hells! I loved Hershel's little speech about how he had though resurrection would come in a different way hauhauhauha that was one of my favorite things in the GN. And by the end of the episode I was actually expecting Rick to give his "we are the walking dead" speech. It would have been fitting. And now things begin to get interesting, Michonne has finally arrived with her samurai sword and zombie slaves! I kept waiting through the farm attack sequence for her appearance, to see any three shadows walking too closely together, because I had read she would appear in the season finale, and what better way than saving Andrea's ass? (talking about ass, anyone else was amused that even though the world is falling apart Hershel still finds the energy to reprehend his daughter's use of bad words? xD)

Anyone else thinks ex-suicide girl's fate in the show will be similar to what happens in the comics?

And Rick turns into his post-zombie world self, how lovely. His people only know how to complain, really, what a burden... and then Rick ceases to be Ralph, but his Piggy was Jack, how confusing can that be?

I havent read the GN but from what Ive seen people here post about them, I don't know how they are going to incorporate most of what has been said about the governor into the show. It's TOO much, you know? We already LOVE a show about Zombies, do we really NEED to be shocked by how fucked up human beings can be? And I will say, as much as I hate Lori, I really don't want babies or kids to die, either. So that will be interesting too.

On the contrary, I'll only keep watching the show if they delve deeper into how fucked up humans being are - which the season finale suggests will happen. I really don't know how much they plan on putting in the Governor's story, if they intend to humanize him or if they will keep his over the top cruel self, but I sincerely hope it's the latter. The show can use this sort of terror and political disputes (I classify any disputes between communities of survivors as political in this series, except for the one with the cannibals, I guess)

I suppose practise makes perfect. You just get the impression from that quick glance that she was wielding it with the proficiency of an actual samurai, which is a life long study. But so long as they make her character good I'll be happy.

With the prison foreshadowed for next season what can we expect? I have not read the comics but now I fear we will have them safely locked away from the zombies and focusing on the character drama.

She had a few months traveling on her own in an infested world to learn how to use the sword like a boss xD

Oho, the prison saga is anything but focus on character drama! Okay, that's a lie, there are good opportunities to delve deeper into the characters, and from the season finale I expect we'll have at least two episodes of Rick dealing with Carl and Lori's reaction to his killing Shane and everyone accepting Rick's dictatorship after that, but I guess the Governor's presence is going to help them realize they need Rick and could do a lot worse, so...

Anyone else think it's possible they'll use Michonne to defy, or consolidate, Rick's leadership?

I think they are going to have to make a few more changes or reliable additions to the group, to set up shop in the prison. In the comics that motherfucker was overrun big time. There were 4 inmates in there? The group was a bit bigger as well and could do more of a clean up outside.

If I had to guess they are going to make the prison either (1) less infested with zombies, (2) bolster the group with a few more bodies like a couple of surviving guards or prisoners, or (3) allow Hershel to bust out his Shotgun of Neverending Ammo again, along with his +5 Dexterity Cloak and let him go to town.

I also wanted to add I liked comic Dale much better than tv show Dale. Im interested to see if they even bring up

you can cut off a limb that is bitten and survive

?

I laughed :bowdown:

Well, I think they will put less zombie, since it would be too much after the farm. They might have help from inside, but they have something much better now: good ole Michonne. I don't know how believable it would be to have them deal with more than four prisoners/guards, since their group is smaller in the show than in the GN, but I do agree it would be a good addition, especially if they don't kill them off all at once. And adding to the Governor storyline, I begin to think they'll have too much to deal with next season O.o How many episodes will that be, anyone knows? But, well, maybe if i takes them five episodes to settle in the prison before the Governor appears, that won't be as much... Though that helicopter at the beginning, responsible for the herd, makes me wonder if the crash won't happen sooner than necessary...

About what you put under tags, well, I certainly expect they will find out about that in the show. They might realize now hat it's not the bite that kills you, so...

This interview with the showrunner has some pretty interesting comments about the show, it's differences from the comic and what they have planned for season 3.

Highlights for me were;

"The prison will be a significant part of season three, but we're also going to be opening up the world with things such as the Governor and his settlement of Woodbury," the writer said. "There's other factors out there in the world, and Rick's group will begin stumbling into that larger society moving forward."

- exactly what I was hoping to see in season 3.

"Mazzara looks forward to bringing in other new characters such as Tyrese, as well as revisiting unresolved characters such as Morgan and Duane from the pilot episode."

- YES on Tyreese! It would also be great if they could get the same actor back to play Morgan as well. Looks like the cast will become a lot stronger in terms of their african-american characters. Speaking of which...

“I admit that T-Dog has been off to the side and forgotten recently. Part of my goal when I became showrunner was to really develop Rick’s character and other stuff, and poor T-Dog was left off to the side. Actor IronE Singleton’s really done a fantastic job of establishing the T-Dog character despite having very little to say. I think moving forward, the strength of the show is allowing characters like him to develop in a significant way. We haven’t done our work with T-Dog, but the writers are going to get to that.”

- It's good that they openly admit their neglect of T-Dog. Sadly no mention on the Atlanta question as of yet. I do wonder where they will find time to develop him if they are adding Michonne, the Governor, Tyrese and Morgan. I assume there'll also be some other people in the prison as well as some henchmen for the Governor and the shows track record for handling a large cast hasn't been concistent. Maybe a lot of unamed prisoners and henchmen on the horizon and Herschel's daugher will have to remain silent.

Yeah! Tyreese! I just hope they won't introduce him as one of the prisoners, or someone from the Governor's group, the character can do a lot better than that. And I'm really curious to see his interactions with Daryl, since they're so alike. Morgan, well... I'm not much of a fan, bbut I hope they

keep his son alive. Carl needs another kid around, and since they killed Sophia...

it would be nice to see the contrast between those two kids with different, but similar, zombie apocalypse experience (does this sentence even make sense?).

Yeah! Tyreese! I just hope they won't introduce him as one of the prisoners, or someone from the Governor's group, the character can do a lot better than that. And I'm really curious to see his interactions with Daryl, since they're so alike. Morgan, well... I'm not much of a fan, bbut I hope they

keep his son alive. Carl needs another kid around, and since they killed Sophia...

it would be nice to see the contrast between those two kids with different, but similar, zombie apocalypse experience (does this sentence even make sense?).

I was thinking the same thing about keeping Morgan's son may be good for Carl.It will stop him trying to make friends with zombies

I think if they will stop spending so much time on the Lori/Shane/Rick drama storyline they will be able to move on and develop some new characters wihtout problem. I'm so glad Shane is gone. Honestly, there are some good actors in this show, and there are some not so great actors in this show, and I don't think Shane, Lori, Dale, and Andrea are good actors. Well, maybe Andrea is alright... I just get a huge whiff of cheese from her.

I think the guy who played Dale is a good actor; the way they wrote the character was what ruined him. But yes, Shane and Lori... not so sure. And Andrea, well... if they write something more challenging for the character next season, which I believe will happen, then we'll have a chance of seeing how good an actress that one is.

I think the guy who played Dale is a good actor; the way they wrote the character was what ruined him. But yes, Shane and Lori... not so sure. And Andrea, well... if they write something more challenging for the character next season, which I believe will happen, then we'll have a chance of seeing how good an actress that one is.

I thought Shane had some good moments. I bought that he genuinely thought he was doing the right thing despite being crazy although some of the OTT moments were very OTT.

Thinking back to the prison storyline, I'm thinking they may need to find some more kids unless they drop one of the prison stories, It's not an essential story though.

Thinking back to the prison storyline, I'm thinking they may need to find some more kids unless they drop one of the prison stories, It's not an essential story though.

If you mean the one with Hershel's daughters, well... they still have suicidal girl, I assume one would be enough for that. O.o

I don't think little girls need to die, it could be anyone, but I do think that story is significant for Rick's response. Showing him maybe going over the edge a bit. Though they will probably show that in other ways.

Plus everyone knows all the onscreen violence against little girls is done by Rick. He's at an average of 1 little girls shot per season.

I was viewing those as a progression- the murderer (it need not be a child if they even include him) setting him off and then Rick just getting fed up and killing the other guy when he became too much of a problem. But who knows, I am sure they will have some people already holed up in the prison, but it will probably be completely different from the comic.

Who do you think is going to lose a limb to drive home the science behind the bites? They need to prove that the bite alone can't turn you, and that you can cut off an arm/leg to stop the spread of the 'kill quick' saliva.

Doubt that they are going to bother. I believe Kirkman said he didn't want Rick to lose an arm in the show, so there isn't really any reason to go there.

Who do you think is going to lose a limb to drive home the science behind the bites? They need to prove that the bite alone can't turn you, and that you can cut off an arm/leg to stop the spread of the 'kill quick' saliva.

Doubt that they are going to bother. I believe Kirkman said he didn't want Rick to lose an arm in the show, so there isn't really any reason to go there.

Just started reading the comic. TBH there's just as much sitting around talking about feelings in the comic as in the show.

And the comic is only on the farm for like two issues, it's amazing how the show drug that out.

I don't see how the show ever catches up at this rate.

Archived