Who wants to be king for the 'right' reasons?

Northern Soul

As narratively intricate, thematically rich and grown up as ASOIAF is, there is still a child in me that gets caught up in the medieval romanticism when reading about the series' kings and queens... before I remember that they are, of course, unelected rulers seizing and retaining power through aggression and fear rather than through the consent and support of those they govern. 

Accepting the current model of government, which would-be rulers have wanted to hold the top job for the 'right' reasons? Who has had the nearest thing to a mandate? Who has the most worthy policies, values and character? Who thinks they would actually do the best job?

I don't count birthright as being the 'right' reason. Ditto vague prophecies. So I'd rule out Dany. Joff too. Tommen as well. 

Stannis would be a decent ruler, but has no popular support; just retainers, cult-followers and small-time lords. 

Respect to the Iron Islands for at least meeting and mooting for a king - closest thing this world comes to an election. But the Ironborn all just want to be king for their own sake.

Not sure 'Aegon' counts? Or Jon. Or Mance. 

Robb and Renly have struck me as the most worthy characters that have gone in for a spot of kinging. They seemed to genuinely want to be king for the good of their people and realm. 

They saw the king's role as serving the people, and seemed relatively respected and popular amongst nobles and commoners alike. 

What do you think? 

I believe that Mance made a good king, he put so much work into doing what he did for the survival of the Wildlings. But yes, aside from a select few Essos governments (Props to Volantis' Triumvirate) an elected ruler is almost unheard of. Robb was basically chosen to rule by his bannermen, Euron chosen at the moot, and Renly was beloved and understood that bloodline is no right to power - if for the wrong reasons.

I think Stannis would be the best king considering how he feels that it is his duty not his right. Besides although Aegon has been groomed to rule he IS still a boy out for glory whereas Stannis has seen and fought many wars and is one of the few people left in Westeros that can lead men against the Others

I think people would have liked to have Renly for their king the most. Renly would not have been harsh and people would like his youth and charms. Practically no common person sees their king in their lives, so if he is not taking things from them and is nice to talk about, it will do. Smallfolk would feel included in some sort of a party only by talking about His Shiny Grace :D Margaery and Olenna would have made sure that he would not be taken advantage off and all.

Stannis could be the best now, but he must patiently build upon his few current advatages. Because things he has to offer, people start to value only in time.

Stannis doesn't want to be King but he feel he has too being Roberts heir. That makes him a King for the right reason.

Robb was picked as King he didn't proclaim himself King, in my mind that is a reason to be King. If your people pick you to rule then its (Rightful)

Mace doesn't claim to be King of the 7 Kingdoms, only King to his people. (Rightful)

well it is Stannis' throne by "right".

If we are talking about birth rights, the throne is Dany's, and not Stannis'. Or YG's, considering he really is who he claims to be...

But I'd give my vote to Renly. I think he's the only one who actually understood what being king meant!

Robb had a good sense of justice and duty, just as Jon does. But as Starks, they are not flexible to handle de court and its games and intrigues...

Every character tends to believe Stannis is too "hard" to be king, and I kinda agree with that...

If we are talking about birth rights, the throne is Dany's, and not Stannis'. Or YG's, considering he really is who he claims to be...

But I'd give my vote to Renly. I think he's the only one who actually understood what being king meant!

Robb had a good sense of justice and duty, just as Jon does. But as Starks, they are not flexible to handle de court and its games and intrigues...

Every character tends to believe Stannis is too "hard" to be king, and I kinda agree with that...

Wrong.

The Targaryen dynasty is no longer on the throne. Remember the little rebellion?

Archived