Gendry knows who he is

a free shadow

I was thinking that if Gendry is not the slowest person in Westeros, he has figured out that he is Robert's son by now.

I do not imagine him making anything of it except maybe smiling angrily. No one would be able to manipulate him unawares now as well.

Did his origns matter only as a way to place him together with Arya?

He could rise in the BwB (BwB has previously named themselves king Robert's men), but I do not imagine Gendry revealing himself.

Was he were to contrast Joffrey?

Does anything of it matter for the rest of the story?

It is Sunday and I am starting a slow thread! :D

Actually I think he has no idea that he's Robert's bastard. He might have given it a thought or two, but not more. :dunno:

His family tree might very well come to play in the story, but I think it might be revealed to him via someone else. Brienne? Again :dunno:

You should have left this thread to die :lol: It was rashly done.

How could Gendry not pick up on things?

1. He is given an apprentiship no one of his birth get without money/protection.

2. Both of the kings Hands come in questioning his origns.

3. Queens men ride miles and miles to seize him on her orders.

4. Brienne comments on his looks, asks if he has ever seen king Robert and again talks about his origns eager to reveal something.

I mean it is impossible not to figure this out than it is all about you.

If he didn't then Arya is kind calling him stupid. :fencing:

Edited for grammar. What is with my head today?

I do not think he knows who he is. He was absolutely shocked and had no idea what we as going on when Brienne mistook him for Renly.

His parentage was important because Eddard compared him and Barra to the children of incest. I am not sure it will be important again, maybe some or the other king will legitimise him, but seeing as he is now a rebel of the BWB, that is not very likely. I sure hope he appears on page again, I like him. Possibly in Arya's chapter ...

I do not think he knows who he is. He was absolutely shocked and had no idea what we as going on when Brienne mistook him for Renly.

His parentage was important because Eddard compared him and Barra to the children of incest. I am not sure it will be important again, maybe some or the other king will legitimise him, but seeing as he is now a rebel of the BWB, that is not very likely. I sure hope he appears on page again, I like him. Possibly in Arya's chapter ...

I'm thinking a Jaime chapter actually.

Brienne is probably not the only one who commented on his looks. It's very likely someone else did tell him his/her thoughts on his parents. Yeah, I've got a feeling that the next time we see Gendry, we know who he is.

Gendry is stupid. I don't think he knew who he was. You raised some good points, but he's so stubborn and pig-headed he probably believed he was given the apprenticeship because of his talent/eagerness/whatever. Or he thought the smith had had sex with his mother, and did it to appease her :dunno: Don't know why I think she was a whore - was she? Anyway, even if she wasn't, taking her boy in would be a way of getting to her heart, or doing something nice in respect for her memory if she was dead.

I think Robert's bastards are going to have a big role to play. I don't know what, or why I think that, but it's a feeling I get. I highly doubt that characters like Gendry, Edric, Mya and Bella (?) were put into the story just to show how obvious it is that Cerseis' kids aren't Roberts'.

Gendry and Arya, King and Queen in the North! :commie:

I don't think he knows...he knows that he was being looked for by the king's men, but does not know why! Despite the 'clues', why would someone from his background (who has basically been brought up to believe they are nothing or less than nothing!) have any reason at all to suspect they are in any way related to a king (even if they are 'just' a bastard).

I think he will have a part to play in the future...Brienne will reveal his origin to him when she gets (hopefully) a chance to explain more about him looking like Renly. I think he will reunite with Arya at one point...we will get on some level a Stark-Baratheon alliance. I am not necessarily talking about a relationship (though Arya would never go for some 'lord', she has been through way too much to be able to tolerate someone who has only grown up entitled...and she and Gendry have a history already...they are set up to become a possible couple).

I think his blacksmithing skills will be needed. I think he will reforge ICE!

Gendry and Arya, King and Queen in the North! :commie:

:commie:

I don't think he knows...he knows that he was being looked for by the king's men, but does not know why! Despite the 'clues', why would someone from his background (who has basically been brought up to believe they are nothing or less than nothing!) have any reason at all to suspect they are in any way related to a king (even if they are 'just' a bastard).

I think his blacksmithing skills will be needed. I think he will reforge ICE!

This. It is the way the peasants think, he would not get that idea. Gendry also has a very bad opinion of the highborn, even if he got the idea, he would refuse to believe himself.

Him forging any important sword would be nice, Ice would be the best.

I don't think he knows...he knows that he was being looked for by the king's men, but does not know why!

Oh, it is not like that was the only fact he could have picked up upon. A string of fantastical things happened to him and they all are leading (a very short way) to Robert. All people showing a very unusual interest in him were from his closest circle.

I have opened his and Brienne's talk for me right now, it is longish, but things are obvious:

“You have black hair and blue eyes, and you were born in the shadow of the Red Keep. Has no one ever remarked upon your face?”

“What’s wrong with my face? It’s not as ugly as yours.”

“In King’s Landing you must have seen King Robert.”

Renly answers and answers some more...

“Listen to me,” Brienne began.

I don't think for one minute Gendrys's stupid...uneducated perhaps, but not stupid. As far as seeing both Robert and Renly and noticing any similarity between either of the brothers and himself; I feel would be stretching the bounds of probability too much. I could believe that he was confused with the attention from both 'Hands', but with the context of his parentage it would all have gone over his head.

Even with Brienne commenting on the family similarity I don't feel it would have twigged about 'DADDY', yet. It may however have started the cogs turning to a point where he starts putting the pieces together......an interesting twist in a storyline for the future perhaps!

I do agree it would have made/make and interesting little 'aside', an Arya/Gendry reunion.....

So many possibilities yet so little space...who'd be an author :bang:

Oh, it is not like that was the only fact he could have picked up upon. A string of fantastical things happened to him and they all are leading (a very short way) to Robert. All people showing a very unusual interest in him were from his closest circle.

I have opened his and Brienne's talk for me right now, it is longish, but things are obvious:

“You have black hair and blue eyes, and you were born in the shadow of the Red Keep. Has no one ever remarked upon your face?”

“What’s wrong with my face? It’s not as ugly as yours.”

“In King’s Landing you must have seen King Robert.”

Renly answers and answers some more...

“Listen to me,” Brienne began.

I think there are plenty of things to pick up on, but I don't think he would pick up on them, for the reason I stated above...he is very, very lowborn...his mother was a whore..therefore, he'd be trained from birth to think that he is, essentially, nothing. Unless somebody spells it out for him directly, his peasant upbringing is going to prevent him from noticing anything...

I don't think that Gendry has any idea. He wouldn't pick up on things that seem obvious to us. His focus would be on finding food, a place to sleep, maintaining way to make his way in the world. When he and Arya shared a story line, he would get angry/upset when he was reminded that Arya was 'of House Stark". With Jon Aryn and Ned coming to see him, I can't imagine him doing much more than shrugging his shoulders, figuratively speaking, chalking it up to 'crazy high-borns, who can figure them out', and then getting back to work seeing nothing they had to do with him.

If Brienne hadn't been attacked at the inn where Gendry was, she might have gone on with her questions and given him some idea then, but she wasn't able to. And, given the state of war and pillage, again, his focus would be on much more basic things, such as survival.

I do hope Arya connects with Gendry when she returns to Westeros. I just don't want his character to be 'abandoned' - and am hoping that Martin laid too significant a foundation (w/ respect to Arya, and maybe to the BWB, too) for him to just be dropped from the story line.

I agree that Gendry is not the sharpest tool in the box, but I don't consider him particularly stupid. I think his interactions with Brienne and Arya will help him work it out sometime soon.

However, unlike Edric Storm, I don't think Gendry will care one bit. He never had any help from Robert, seems proud to earn and work for his goals, and doesn't seem to place a lot of value on nobility.

Even if Stannis is alive he dose not have a male hair so the only way the great house of Baratheon will continue is if one of Roberts bastards gets legitimised, Arya and Gendry getting married would finally unite houses Stark and Baratheon

Shireen could inherit the throne if all other male heirs are exhausted. It's not that women can't inherit, just that all possible males needs to be exhausted before they do.

I also think Stannis would legitimize Edric Storm (who's been acknowledged and is noble on both sides and Stannis' kin by marriage, too) before Gendry.

As for Gendry, I don't think he's stupid, but I don't think he's picked up on who he is.

Archived