Filming locations for South of Westeros

Westerosi Dude

Does anyone else think that it doesn't make sense that King's Landing scenes are filmed in the Medditeranean (Malta in Season 1, Croatia in Season 2), but scenes in the Reach and Stormlands (e.g. the Renly camp scenes in season 2) are filmed in Northern Ireland, despite the fact that The Reach is south of King's Landing?

Surely the casual viewer will think that since they're in a colder, more temperate climate, Highgarden is to the north of King's Landing, and this will create massive confusion.

I thought about it. However there were many scenes from Essos and just outside of King's Landing that were filmed in Ireland last year. For instance the tourney and many of the Dothraki travelling scenes (The grass sea and the entrance to Vaes Dothrak). You could explain that the Stormlands look colder because of the windy climate, while King's Landing is more secluded. I don't think we will see scenes from the Reach at all. Everything at Bitterbridge seems to have been moved to a coastal camp near Storm's End.

You can't really see the temperature on camera, so the best indicator is vegetation. If it is just a grassy rocky seaside (as the previews seem to indicate), it could be anywhere, really.

We don't visit Highgarden in the books, so I guess we won't visit it in the series, nothing important takes place there, as far as we know.

I always pictured King's Landing a bit more Western-Europe medievalish. In the series it was a bit too tropical I thought. It even had palmtrees which struck me as a bit weird. But we all have different views, ofcourse.

I always pictured King's Landing a bit more Western-Europe medievalish. In the series it was a bit too tropical I thought. It even had palmtrees which struck me as a bit weird. But we all have different views, ofcourse.

I thought that as well. At most it's supposed to be a sort of French climate, whereas in the show there's an almost middle-eastern vibe to it.

I thought that as well. At most it's supposed to be a sort of French climate, whereas in the show there's an almost middle-eastern vibe to it.

Well Malta is in the middle of a sea right below France, so...

Perhaps it has something to do with the landscape? Even before the series I envisioning KL as sort of hot and dusty and brown, next to this wide expanse of water with a sandy beach. But Storm's End I always thought would be more vernal, with a rockier shore--the tumultuous weather that first garnered the castle its name would suggest a muggier and swamplike environment.

Or maybe I'm just blowing hot air, but that's what I thought...

maybe I'm biased, but I live in Scotland, and there's plenty of places you could film here too...

Scotland and Ireland aren't all that dissimilar. The place where they've filmed the Iron Islands stuff looks a lot like my hometown.

The place where they've filmed the Iron Islands stuff looks a lot like my hometown.

Even though that's Croatia ;)

Really, I'd just let the location scouts do their work. Few of us will ever explore the true breadth and range of a country so we really don't know everything that can be found, especially in allotted time. We can say that Dorne has to be shot in a real desert, but there can be a very different interpretation as to the climate so long as all of the visual style matches. I think the main point about the Stormlands though, it being too similar to the North, is a bit misled given that it's against the water. That's an important factor.

If I'd ever want them to go somewhere really exotic though, I'd say go to Tibet. Wonderful country, that.

We don't visit Highgarden in the books, so I guess we won't visit it in the series, nothing important takes place there, as far as we know.

We have a few POV chapters with Samwell and Victarion as well as the Prelude to AFFC in the Reach.

Regarding Dorne, South Africa might be a good place to film for dry arid scenic places.

Cast The Great Karoo as the desert and The Orange River as the Greenblood. Plus Namibia and it's "proper" desert opens up if you are in Cape Town. Plus in South Africa you can drink the water, eat the food and drink beer. All three are not possible in morocco for a film crew used to operating in Belfast.

Archived