The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Later this year, Bantam will be releasing a product called The Lands of Ice and Fire (previously announced as Maps of Ice and Fire). This product is a collection of twelve large poster maps of locations from the world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Five of the maps will be familiar to readers of the books:

• A full map of Westeros, combining the North and the South.
  • A map of the lands beyond the Wall.
  • A map of the Free Cities.
  • A map of Valyria and Slaver's Bay.
  • A city map of King's Landing,

The remaining seven maps will be all-new. We don't have a full list yet, but we do know the following maps will be included:

• A map showing the 'known world', stretching from Westeros to Asshai (and presumably including Ibben and the Summer Isles).
  • A map showing the Dothraki sea and the Red Waste.
  • A map showing the area around Qarth and extending east.
  • A city map of Braavos.

The other three maps are unknown. They could be additional city maps (Volantis, Meereen, Oldtown, Qarth or White Harbour could all be possibilities) or possibly 'historical' maps showing fallen lands (hinted at by a prior blurb).

The artist for the product has been announced as Jonathan Roberts, whose work can be seen on the Fantastic Maps blog. The current release date is 30 October 2012 for the American edition from Bantam Books. HarperCollins Voyager will be publishing the British edition on 8 November. You can see a mock-up of the product here.

Awesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesomeawesome!

I do loves a good map. Better be available in the UK....

I wonder if they'll look the same as the aDwD maps? Or will they have their own distinct style (the fourth by my count)? Also do you think they'll be pull out, unfold style maps or just a massive book?

God I'm excited.

They're pull out and unfold, stored in plastic covers inside a book-like hardcover pack. You can see a mock-up of what it looks like on the link in the first post. And yes, I believe an all-new artist has been contracted to create the maps in a uniform style.

Just maps, I think. Maybe some kind of leaflet or small book with a list of locations is possible (maybe like the John Howe Middle-earth map books), but nothing more than that.

I'm assuming the maps have been drawn from The World of Ice and Fire, which will be a much bigger book with tons of new background information on the setting. That doesn't sound like it's due until 2013 however.

Anyone know if this is being sold world wide?

It only has a US publisher at the moment. It should be relatively freely available in the UK via Amazon and the Book Depository. Elsewhere in the world, I'm not sure.

Interestingly for the design mock-up they've used some of my (outdated) artwork - the Coats of Arms of some of the Houses.

Ha! Thought they looked familiar :)

This is cool, but it's way too late in the game.

So you are 5/7 of the way there? Guess there's no harm in giving you the map now.

I was so confused about Dany's location before ADWD.

You're not the only one. They need to show the maps in better details. Many of the places I can't even find on the map in the front of the book. To name a few: Raventree, the bog where the Reeds come from, and other small villages.

Finnaly a map of the whole world, that will be great, we can finnaly see what Essos fully looks like

Known world anyway. I agree though.

I'm most psyched about the Braavos map. Hopefully there's some other maps of the free cities in there as well.

Archived