The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Am I geeky enough to have a framed world map at the end of my bed? Oh Gods, I think I am...

You're not the only one I have dragon poster's in my room along with a dragon clock ( not related to ASOIAF though) and I would love a complete poster map or a poster of ASOIAF.

I'd really like a map of Winterfell. I always have a hard time imaginging the layout and scale of the place. For example, at first I thought the Godswood was a relatively small thing, like you could easily see who was in it from the outside. But other passages (and the TV show) make it seems like it's huge, so when you're in it it's more like just being in a forest in the middle of nowhere. I know it's meant to be 3 acres in size, which is apparently the size of an American football field, but it's still hard to imagine that fitting into how Winterfell looks in my mind (or in the TV show, for that matter).

• 2 weeks later...

Good news that we won't need to order from America to get this :)

Am I right in thinking that there's quite a bit more info in that link than we've had before? The 'thirds' of Essos and the character paths maps I wasn't aware of. The eastern third should be a good map.

I've seen this before, though I don't recall where. I am very interested to see the character path maps to see how much information there is in them and whether they tie up with the work I've done on the timeline and the routes I've plotted in my head.

I think I'll be using Goat's online versions - at least until the last volume of the series is written. They are great!

Thank you tKoF, very nice of you to say. But I do feel the need to point out that everything east of where the Free Cities map ends is wrong.

I will be updating my online map to match the official maps but it may take several months to complete that work. If the map of the known world is really extensive it may take closer to a year.

Am I right in thinking that there's quite a bit more info in that link than we've had before? The 'thirds' of Essos and the character paths maps I wasn't aware of. The eastern third should be a good map.

I am not sure there will be character path maps, all it says that the maps "provide another view of your favourite characters’ epic journeys". Overall its the exact same description that is featured on the batman product page.

The_Lands_of_Ice_and_Fire

So by my reckoning, that link gives us the full twelve does it not?

1. Complete map of the world

2. Alternate version tracking protagonists

3. Western third

4. Middle third

5. Eastern third

6. Full map of Westeros (wouldn't this be pretty similar to western third?)

7. Dothraki Sea and Red Waste

8. Braavos city map

9. Kings Landing city map

10. The Wall and Beyond the Wall

11. The Free Cities

12. Slavers Bay, Sothoryos, Valyria

• 3 weeks later...

Bantam have released an image of some of the maps.

The bottom one shows some the re-conceptualised areas on the eastern side of the Dothraki Sea and Red Waste (including Qarth). Same general idea as the HBO map but a little bit different. Valyria also looks a little squashed (like in the title sequence to the TV show) compared to the book version, which is odd. The map to the immediate above-right is Slaver's Bay, and the one to the above-left is the entire world (including the Summer Islands, from the look of it). It looks rather different to the big world maps seen so far extrapolated from the HBO one (I can't make out the Jade Sea at all on it, and Sothoryos looks odd). The city map of King's Landing is towards the top-right of the image, and I think the Beyond the Wall one is near the top-left.

EDIT: Wait, on the new world map it looks like the Jade Sea has not just been slightly changed but completely changed. It now appears that Qarth is on the northern coast, and a large island divides Qarth from Sothoryos, so there are two ways into the Jade Sea (one by Qarth and the other south of the island). That's...weird. I thought Qarth's riches came from it being the sole way into the Jade Sea? Asshai must be right down in the bottom-right corner of the map. Sothoryos is basically still just that bit we see from the ADWD/ASoS maps.

Interesting changes. Essos looks a hell of lot more interesting now.

I can't tell if that's a big island south of Qarth, or just a peninsula with a very narrow isthmus connecting it to Sothoryos (which would make it like the Sinai Peninsula).

Essos from the Free Cities to the Red Waste looks a lot bigger now compared to Westeros.

The foreshortening on the map makes it impossible to work out the precise placements, but this should work as a very, very, very rough outline of the world map from the above. A quite notable difference from the HBO version.

That is pretty different. There's a huge gap between the big island south of Qarth and Sothoryos, which makes your question definitely well-founded.

Maybe it ties into the "circular trade" aspect of the Jade Sea, with some type of ocean current that curves around the coast-line through Qarth and back west between the big island and Sothoryos. Or perhaps going between the big island and Sothoryos means that you have no secure sheltering points between there and Asshai/Yi Ti unless you want to risk sheltering somewhere on Sothoryos's jungle-infested north coast. Or there's rough seas, like going around the Arm of Dorne.

Yeah, if you check the Slaver's Bay map, you can see there is no isthmus between Sothoryos and the big island, but there are several smaller islands inbetween them (which look a bit like a solid mass on the big map). There are various explanations that can be found (the smaller islands being ill-omened, pirate-infested or whatever).

It's at the very limits of legibility, but I think one of the other maps on the table is the historical map. It may just be an optical illusion, but it does look like Valyria is still whole on that map.

Interestingly, the maps do appear to have scales on them as well (although it's worth reiterating Bantam's point that these maps are rough and not final, but presumably they should be in the right ballpark).

• 2 months later...

Bumping this, for no real reason other than that we should all be much more excited about it than we seem to be. Only two months away from a pretty major I&F release.....? Spells good times in my books.

Can't seem to find any additional info on it.......I would have thought it would make sense to give us a preview before the release? Give us a taste of what the maps look like more precisely? I'm personally hoping for the green-blue colour of the maps to be overlaid with an aDwD esque font for all the place names (in the picture we have of the maps layed out on the table, they don't appear to have any writing on other than the titles?)......I think that'd look amazing. Can't wait.

Bantam have released an image of some of the maps.

The bottom one shows some the re-conceptualised areas on the eastern side of the Dothraki Sea and Red Waste (including Qarth). Same general idea as the HBO map but a little bit different. Valyria also looks a little squashed (like in the title sequence to the TV show) compared to the book version, which is odd. The map to the immediate above-right is Slaver's Bay, and the one to the above-left is the entire world (including the Summer Islands, from the look of it). It looks rather different to the big world maps seen so far extrapolated from the HBO one (I can't make out the Jade Sea at all on it, and Sothoryos looks odd). The city map of King's Landing is towards the top-right of the image, and I think the Beyond the Wall one is near the top-left.

EDIT: Wait, on the new world map it looks like the Jade Sea has not just been slightly changed but completely changed. It now appears that Qarth is on the northern coast, and a large island divides Qarth from Sothoryos, so there are two ways into the Jade Sea (one by Qarth and the other south of the island). That's...weird. I thought Qarth's riches came from it being the sole way into the Jade Sea? Asshai must be right down in the bottom-right corner of the map. Sothoryos is basically still just that bit we see from the ADWD/ASoS maps.

Interesting changes. Essos looks a hell of lot more interesting now.

It appears they're mapping a lot more east than i thought they would, I like it!

Archived