The Lands of Ice and Fire: a new map book out in Oct 2012

Werthead

Well, the only Dothraki thing I've noticed is that Vaes Graddakh place. But I'm more interest in these kingdoms. South of Vaes Graddakh there seem to be a huge "Kingdom(s) of S...". I wonder what it is.

This is interesting, as the 'Kingdom of...' seems to lie in what should be the northern Dothraki Sea.

What intrigues me the most is that there seems to be a huge kingdom we've never heard of near the forest of Qohor. I wonder if Martin is going to include some info about every place on the map.

That's not the Forest of Qohor. This is way, way to the east, north of Vaes Dothrak (more or less).

Kingdom of Ifeqevron is so close to the Vaes Dothrak.

That's the location of Vaes Dothrak on the HBO map. On the Lands of Ice and Fire map, I believe Vaes Dothrak has moved some distance southwards.

Probably, as Ran said last page at page 6

the Lands of the Shrykes

That's from a different preview, which seems to be of a totally different part of Essos (way off in the far east, I'd guess).

Yeah. At first I though it was right next to Qarth, but that Leng island is pretty large and it's not in that huge HBO map that seems to be official now. Now Yi Ti is the only mysteryous place remaining.

The HBO map is only official for the HBO show. GRRM completely changed his vision of the east of Essos after providing the very early draft of the map. Now it appears that Essos looks more like this (a very rough outline based on some earlier images of the maps), with the Jade Sea running south of Essos (rather than being an indentation in its east). Asshai is right down in the bottom-right corner.

NOTE: Ran did say some time ago that the map would 'hint at' a hitherto-unknown 'continent'. The landmass south of the Saffron Straits may well be it (Sothessoryos?).

The maps will not be usable in the wiki. They're copyrighted, and we're not going to be getting permission to use them. Posting the whole maps would not be a fair use.

What's the lowdown on someone creating their own outline map using the LoIaF as a baseline but not the actual maps themselves (i.e. similar to what's been done on the Wiki with the fan-created maps of Westeros and Essos already)?

I'm assuming that there are some Dothraki scholars around. Anyone able to translate "Ifeqevron"? I know that someone said that it means foreigners but apparently there's a more specific translation that's relevant to future plot points.

I'm assuming that there are some Dothraki scholars around. Anyone able to translate "Ifeqevron"? I know that someone said that it means foreigners but apparently there's a more specific translation that's relevant to future plot points.

Wait.

There's a kingdom way up north whose name translates to some version of The Others?

The HBO map is only official for the HBO show. GRRM completely changed his vision of the east of Essos after providing the very early draft of the map. Now it appears that Essos looks more like this (a very rough outline based on some earlier images of the maps), with the Jade Sea running south of Essos (rather than being an indentation in its east). Asshai is right down in the bottom-right corner.

NOTE: Ran did say some time ago that the map would 'hint at' a hitherto-unknown 'continent'. The landmass south of the Saffron Straits may well be it (Sothessoryos?)

Where did you get that map? Who made it and based on what? Or are all the lands east of Qarth just pure speculation? Because that's my favorite world map now :cool4:

Wait.

There's a kingdom way up north whose name translates to some version of The Others?

WHAT :eek:

That's from a different preview, which seems to be of a totally different part of Essos (way off in the far east, I'd guess).

Thanks! Really interesting, Essos is freaking huge! The Jade see seems to be very huge.

Is Asshai at the far east of Essos or this Shrykes lands are even farther?

Where did you get that map? Who made it and based on what? Or are all the lands east of Qarth just pure speculation? Because that's my favorite world map now :cool4:

It's based on a preview Bantam released of the maps several months ago, as discussed earlier in this very thread.

Surely not......that'd be far too crucial a piece of information to reveal in a mapbook. Good thinking though.

It's a real shame the UK has to wait an extra week for this, I may have to avoid this thread after Oct 30th to retain maximum excitement at opening mine.

As a map freak, I'm sooo getting this :)

Could the "City of waste/refuse" refer to the fact the city is at the mouth of some big river and all the crap and waste people drop in the river ends up there?

About the Ifeqevron, assuming this means "those who walk" as opposed to Dothraki riders, it's quite appropraite. If they live in forests, they don't have many horses, not to mention that, that North, possibly North of a sizable mountain range, climate might not allow for much horse breeding.

What interests me is that Asshai is surrounded by actual Ghost grass. Specially because it seems to be in Essos, and there's actual land connexion with the Dothraki Sea. Their "end of the world" sounds a bit more possible, now.

If Ifeqevron indeed means Walkers/The Others it would definitely explain why both Essos and Westeros have dealt with them in the past,and why they have left signs of warning in both cultures: Winter is Coming and AA prophecy. However,Essos being more in touch with magic,even years after the magic have disappeared,have maintained more tangible knowledge rather that Westeros - Starks.

The map Werthead posted, (this one =http://geek-news.mtv...AF-map3-MTV.jpg) made me think that this place is in the other continent next to Sothoryos (http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/Werthead/Maps/LandsofIceandFireMaps.jpg the one next to Qarth), mainly because of this place called N'ghai, similar to Asshai and others. It must be closer to Qarth but not that far east as Asshai.

Are we sure it isn't in Sothoryos? It gives sort of quasi-African vibe. Or did Martin explicitly say there won't be any Sothoryos maps?

What we'll see of Sothoryos will essentially be what we've seen so far in the ADWD and ASoS maps, with just a little bit more to the east before it disappears off southwards. You can see that on the preview I linked earlier.

The Grey Waste/Bleeding Sea area is on the world map, the same as Asshai and the Shadow. Based on the relative sizes of the typefaces, the Grey Waste/Bleeding Sea area seems to be relatively large. Only really mainland Essos has the room for it.

Is the Dothraki Sea really as big as these maps are making it out to be?

Yes. On the HBO map the Dothraki Sea is really not that big (a bit bigger than the North in Westeros, but nowhere near the size of, say, Westeros as a whole). It's substantial but not really the 'vast, never-ending plains' the books give the impression of. GRRM seems to have reconceptualised its size and extent for these maps.

Archived