bwheeler

Would it be better, in many people's opinion, if the accents weren't toned down? One can just imagine the lovely Rose Leslie coming out with, "Ee-arrr, Jon Sneuh, it ain't arf nippy in ere, get over t,door Jon and put wood in t'oil."

I would have loved native English (Common tongue) speaking wildlings to sound Scottish. Like Begsbie from Trainspotting. Although they would've been very hard to follow. But I also really like Tormund's accent, and I really like that they're casting Icelanders fir the Thenns.

Yeah, I can just imagine that. "Right, ya radge, ye cannae keep us oot wi' the fuckin' Othirs aboot any longer. Gie us any lip, Jon, and ah'll rip yir fuckin' heid aff. Ah'll tell ye this man, ah'm fuckin' Mance Rayder, right, so shove that right up yir erse."

It goes back a long ways... I understand it was done in Kubrick's 1960 Spartacus to differentiate the patrician Romans from the plebeian slaves.

The major roles were Laurence Olivier , Charles Laughton and Peter Ustinov, all of whom were great,, Ustinov won an Oscar.

There were two odd men out, John Dall as Marcus Publius Glabrus, and why they picked John Gavin for a young

Julius Caesar Errbeats me, it's a small role but they did not even pick a actor who looked like Caesar, but that's happened before.

For Jean Simmons they had a clever ploy she was a slave from Britannia.

The slaves were all Americans , I don't think any hidden meaning was implied.

Kirk Douglas , an otherwise good actor seemed preoccupied being the producer.

Tony Curtis seemed miscast even tho he gave it a good go.

This film benefited from one of the best movie scores of all time by Alex North.

1930s UK cinema produced a lit of historical dramas.

Universal Studios used lots of English and British actors in their horror and historical movies.

But I'd trace it back to 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' (early 30s) and Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood". Then in the late 40s and 50s there were lots of Knights and Damsels movies with British actors (eg 'Prince Valiant')

I still find it constantly bizarre when siblings don’t have the same accent. It’s far easier to find pairs of siblings with differing accents than it is to find pairs with similar ones.

I know a family with 5 kids. 1 parent is originally from Kentucky and the other parent is from New Zealand. They've lived in Hong Kong and Australia. None of the 5 kids have exactly the same accent as another, but they all have traces of their parents accents. One of the kids speaks eith a noticeable Hong Kong accent when they're tired.

Yeah I know, but maybe it's meant to help people realise the geographical location of The Wall if everyone has a northern accent.

...Or they could have just had a brain fart.

Pyp's on the Wall and he has a southern accent. The Night's Watch is supposed to be made up of people from all over.

Not that a few inconsistencies matter all that much.

Bran and Sansa don't sound Irish at all. In fact, Sansa has a rather posh sounding English accent.

Sansa sounds exactly how Septa Mordane trained her to sound. And then living in KL made it stick

I'm guessing Samwell's accent is very like his tutor's or perhaps his mother's accent.

And as to Thoros, who someone mentioned. Who taught him Westerosi? Any accent would be valid. But it makes sense that he sounds like someone who has picked up some of Robert Baratheon's influence, and Robert spent a lot of his formative years with Starks and their armsmen.

Would it be better, in many people's opinion, if the accents weren't toned down? One can just imagine the lovely Rose Leslie coming out with, "Ee-arrr, Jon Sneuh, it ain't arf nippy in ere, get over t,door Jon and put wood in t'oil."

http://imgur.com/g83dENH

"E's a bahsterd of Wintahfell, Ned Stahk's sohn!"

"E's noh crohhhh"

"Tahm to meet the king beyahnd the wahll, Jon Snuhhhhh"

Does anyone else think they may have given Sam a northern accent because the character he's based on had a northern accent in the film versions of Lord of the Rings? Samwell Tarly = Samwise Gangee. Even Martin admits that.

Unlikely, seeing as Sam Gamgee was neither attempting nor arriving at a Northern accent.

He was attempting West Country

Archived