bwheeler

He sounds kind of foreign to me, even though I am not familiar with the Danish accent.

Must admit that I find NCW's accent perfectly clear, and much easier to understand than someone like Sean Bean's when he mumbles! Don't forget that NCW is undoubtedly multi-lingual (three languages at least) and probably subconsciously slightly adapts his English accent to wherever he is.

I just don't think anyone can compare Dinklage and Waldau's accents. Waldau is a non-native, so his accent is PHENOMENAL considering the circumstances. Dinklage's accent is appalling for a native actor, I think he could've done better. Anyhow, I've got used to him and just think of it as a certain "quirk" the character has.

Dinklage does the typical English accent for which almost all American actors train themselves: him, Robert Downy Jnr, Johnny Depp. Plumb in mouth upper-middle class.

That's not the accent he's playing. It might be what an American hears, but that's not how he sounds.

I just don't think anyone can compare Dinklage and Waldau's accents. Waldau is a non-native, so his accent is PHENOMENAL considering the circumstances. Dinklage's accent is appalling for a native actor, I think he could've done better. Anyhow, I've got used to him and just think of it as a certain "quirk" the character has.

I agree Peter Dinklage's accent is just awful, which is too bad because otherwise he is perfect.

Dinklage's accent is appalling for a native actor, I think he could've done better.

A "native" actor? What sort of an accent do you think he should have, to have "done better" ? The books don't make a thing about accents, so why all the fuss? Frankly, unless it is absolutely critical for someone to have a particular accent or speech pattern in a role (like Colin Firth's stutter in The King's Speech) , I don't care what sort of accent the actor has - as long as he/she can actually ACT, then for me the accent is a complete non-event. And Peter Dinklage can act :D

George mentioned at eastercon that part of the attraction to medieval fantasy in American authors is that America didn't have a medieval period. As many other have said here, an American accent in a medieval setting just doesn't work.

Exhibit A: Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (even though it's a superb film!).

To the American members, Peter Dinklage does _not_ have a passable English accent. It's a contrived mess! Perhaps good enough to American ears. The rest of his performance is fantastic!

Richard Madden has no trace of Scottish accent in his performance, YouTube his interviews to confirm. The ability of non-American actors to sound "American" definitely exceeds the reverse. I'm not sure the need arises enough.

The only actor who would venture into RP would be Charles Dance. That's DARNCE to you in the US of A!

It's Daaaaaaaaance for much of the UK too - north of England and Scotland. That's how I'd say it. That's how the STARKS would say it ;)

I agree Peter Dinklage's accent is just awful, which is too bad because otherwise he is perfect.

How can it be awful? It's a 'fantasy' accent. He can take elements of a Southern English accent if he wishes.

I would say Liam Cunningham as Davos is using a mild "Geordie" accent,that is from the Newcastle-North East England area.

I really can't hear that I'm afraid. Actually, no, tell a lie. I can see where you're coming from, because Irish accents are sometimes mistaken for Geordie for whatever reason. But I generally just hear a slightly Anglicised Irish accent. No Geordie.

The subject of accents and dialects is one I've always found intriguing and I was very much looking forward to seeing how they would be handled on the show.

Overall, I am very very impressed. Dan and David have done a brilliant job of trying to give each area of westeros a native regional accent and identity. I'm not sure whether it was decided before or after Sean Bean was cast that the accent of the North was going to be a vague Yorkshire one but Natalia Tena said in an interview that they were all told to get as close to Bean's Sheffield accent as possible. All things considered most of the actors (Allen, Madden, Harrington etc.), though sounding slightly different to each other, easily got close enough to be believable. It's just a real shame that the kids have clear southern English accents which does break immersion, I have to admit.

The Vale of Arryn clearly takes inspiration from Wales, as it's geography is very similar, so I'm glad D&D decided to go that way with it. Just listen to Ser Vardis, he's intentionally Welsh sounding. The South and Southwest of Westeros are marked by generic southern English accents which makes sense as that mirrors the actual situation in Britain. We haven't met many folk from the Riverlands yet but judging by Cat's accent and those met at the Inn in s1, I think they are going to have a slight Irish twang.

One thing I found very interesting was that even though the Stormlands are in the far south and Renly speaks with a southern English accent, they did not try to change Mark Addy's native York accent. This is a bit stupid because obviously the Yorkshire accent is supposed to indicate a northman. Furthermore, the producers have obviously told Stephen Dillane to speak in a similar way to Robert as his accent as Stannis is markedly northern. I still don't quite understand this decision.

And don't get me started on the Lannisters. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, and the three kids all have dramatically different accents! Where is the logic in this?

Probably a silly idea, but maybe they thought that British English is easier to understand for non-English-speaking audiences? It definitely is for me.

Not for me. When I was kid watching the 1st Harry Potter, I can barely understand what they're saying. American accent is the standard and neutral English for me while British accent (what I feel it is) is an old accent that dates back during Merlin's time (if he's real). That's the reason why it also fits better with fantasy/medieval settings.

Brit accent can sound classy to hear but hard for me to imitate, I find it "tedious" for the exaggerated pronunciation of some words (but I also don't like Cowboy English and their excessive twang, still understandable though).

But anyway, this might be just me.

fantasy usually has strong elements of the medieval era/culture/influence and considering most high profile fantasy writers speak english its a more or less given they are going to sound english along with most mainstream tv and film being in english, if you had a american accent it would be out of context as if someone used a machine gun against a guy with a sword in a fight for example lol, i mean if it isnt in a english accent or a american accent what other accent is it going to be in lol? south african? lol.

its brought up alot due to the fact most mainstream movies etc are produced/created in america, america didnt even exist when the old world had the medieval age, i dont understand why its even a issue with some people to be honest with some americans i spoke to as well, americans will say "i speak american" well... no you dont you speak english in a american accent, america is the only country in the world that has its own version of sign language everyone elses is the same, personally in my opinion its in their ego, they need to be different/special one/top of the food chain. in my personal opinion alot of arrogant especially the youth of america even unaware they are being so and from that just breeds stupidity as they think they know it all and makes me facepalm.

Not for me. When I was kid watching the 1st Harry Potter, I can barely understand what they're saying. American accent is the standard and neutral English for me while British accent (what I feel it is) is an old accent that dates back during Merlin's time (if he's real). That's the reason why it also fits better with fantasy/medieval settings.

Brit accent can sound classy to hear but hard for me to imitate, I find it "tedious" for the exaggerated pronunciation of some words (but I also don't like Cowboy English and their excessive twang, still understandable though).

But anyway, this might be just me.

^^

Peter's accent is not perfect and it does annoy me at times but alas

Katie Dickie (Lysa) actually did a great job of covering up her accent. I mean I have seen interviews and she has this thick Scottisch accent, and she toned it down for the show.

Same with Michelle Fairley. Would have been funny tho, if Lysa spoke with an Scottisch accent and Cat with an Irish one.

Another northern Brit here (Manchester) to identify my region. Nic sounded pure American to me - a sort of gentle American. I didn't realise he was Danish until I Googled him. But it certainly doesn't get in the way at all for me - I'd rather he nailed Jaime's character nuances than spend time worrying about his accent. Dink is concentrating very hard on his accent - and there again, when he makes slips I don't care because his overall performance and characterisation outweighs any odd trans-Atlantic burrs that come through now and then.

There is one character who hasn't been mentioned on the thread: Samwell Tarly. John Bradley West is a Manchester lad, so his accent is just there, and to my Manchester ears sounds like a lad I would chat to in the local pub.

Sean is Yorkshire, and Richard Madden is definitely doing a Yorkshire accent. Kit (from Worcestershire) is also having a go at the Yorkshire. Everyone's doing a decent job so it sounds churlish to carp at anyone, but for a local northern gal like me, I can hear as much concentration going into Richard MNadden's and Kit Harrington's accents (to put on the Yorkshire sound) as I can in Dink's.

Peter's accent is not perfect and it does annoy me at times but alas

Katie Dickie (Lysa) actually did a great job of covering up her accent. I mean I have seen interviews and she has this thick Scottisch accent, and she toned it down for the show.

Same with Michelle Fairley. Would have been funny tho, if Lysa spoke with an Scottisch accent and Cat with an Irish one.

By the by has anyone noted that this not OUR Earth!

But Georges's parallel Earth.

Westeros is not GB nor is Essos Africa.

Modern UK accents are no more authentic to mediaeval English than modern American or Australian. They have all changed just as much over time.

GOT could have gone either way. The books were written in a self-consciously ye-olde-Englishe style that can become a bit annoying (nuncle, must needs, etc) but they also have a lot of phrasing that makes it clear that the author was American.

Yeah, I think this is an important point. I've actually read, though can't remember where or when so forgive the lack of a link, that there are some regional accents in the US that are probably closer to what an 18th century Brit sounded like than the modern British accent. I think what makes the accents work in fantasy works for me, as an American, is that it heightens the "fantasy" aspect of it; it enhances that it is a different world from the one I live in, because the people aren't talking like I am. I've wondered, though, if it it can make it seem too familiar to British people? Maybe it loses a level of the fantasy element because the characters are speaking just like you or your compatriots speak everyday.

I think the main reason that a lot of fantasy uses a British accent is because most fantasy uses medieval Europe as a backdrop, so it kind of makes sense to base accents off that region. Specifically, with Game of Thrones, Westeros is basically a very large British Isles, and the history is (very loosely) based off of the actual history of that region.

Interestingly, the Dragon Age fantasy games give dwarves American accents, instead of the usual Scottish used most often. I thought this was a nice change from the usual.

Archived