Edmure and Tom Sevenstreams (minor spoilers for AFfC)

Tewks44

Hey, I was wondering what Tom Sevenstreams relationship to Edmure Tully is. Jaime picked up Tom at the Frey camp and apparently used him as leverage against Edmure Tully. However, what is the relationship between these two men? Am I missing something from a previous book, am I being ignorant to George R.R. Martin's subtlety, or is my question answered in a future book? I'd really like to know, but no spoilers for ADwD please!

if you need your memory refreshed I'm referring to this part

"Edmure seemed to see the man (Tom Sevenstreams) for the first time. 'No. Not him. Get him away from me.'"

Totally forgot about this, didn't understand it either. Was expecting an explanation in AFFC/ADWD, but there was none. We probably missed something in the book.

Tom is the reason why Edmure hates singers. After an "accident" that Edmure had with a woman, Tom composed a song about his "floppy fish". This is mentioned before AFFC, but the singer's name is never revealed. But Edmure's reaction is seeing Tom says it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tom is the reason why Edmure hates singers. After an "accident" that Edmure had with a woman, Tom composed a song about his "floppy fish". This is mentioned before AFFC, but the singer's name is never revealed. But Edmure's reaction is seeing Tom says it all.

Don't remember this part. Can you provide any more details as to where it occurs in the book?

I was definitely confused at first too with Edmure's reaction to Tom o' Sevens. Thought I had missed something, guess I did. I was starting to think it was just that Edmure had a general distate for singers, especially after the RW, but he said 'him.'

Also, I was thinking that Tom basically snuck his way into Riverrun to kill Emmon Frey. Remember, he is still a part of BWB.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't remember this part. Can you provide any more details as to where it occurs in the book?

It's mentioned in a Cat chapter in AGOT I believe at the Inn of the Crossroads, when Marillion brags about having played at Riverrun and Cat doesn't believe him (although doesn't say anything) because she knows her brother hates singers.

The business about Edmure's floppy fish is in an Arya chapter in ASOS when she is being dragged around by the Brotherhood without Banners and discussing taking Arya to Riverrun to ransom her.

• 5 weeks later...

The above is true, but it was a lucky accident that Jaimie found Tom. Jaimie was trying to unnerve Edmure by having Tom play Rains of Castamere, the trigger song for the Red Wedding.

I'm expecting to hear more about this as for all we know Tom is still part of the BWB.

• 2 years later...

Mother Stark: What is it you think you got wrong?

It's implied that Tom was the spy who gave the BWB the info of Ser Ryman's movements back to the Twins, and yes, it is implied that he has his sights set on Lord Emmon (and his parchment haha).

Jaime: "Weren't you Ser Ryman's man when I found you?" he asked.

Tom O' Sevens: "Only for a fortnight."

Jaime: "I would have expected you to depart with the Freys."

Tom: "That one [Emmon]'s a Frey"...

And we know what the BWB does with Freys...

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On March 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Corvinus said:

Little things like this is why George is a genius. Throw away lines that add so much backstory and flavor. 

This world is so real.

• 4 months later...

I also thought he was just one of the bards at the Red Wedding, but then I thought the dialogue was too strange so I looked Tom up and learned about the whole "Floppy Fish" thing.

I love how they use previous characters like this though, because now I remember how he and the lemon cloak guy and all them had interactions with Arya in A Storm of Swords.

Archived