Could Coldhands be the Night's King?

DoctorSwerve

But Bran the Builder was never Lord Commander of the NW? Or is it mentioned somewhere? And he built the wall - The Night's King is supposedly the 13'th Lord Commander which means that there would have been some considerable time going by.

Or did the Night watch exist before the wall?

Yes it's a large amount of evidence pointing to Bran Stark = NK mostly assured by Old Nan. I just need som explaining here...

• 3 weeks later...

The Night's King should have been cut in so many pieces it would never be possible to walk as a wight ever again.

I believe Coldhands is a wight, but warged by Bloodraven. It could well be he is indeed Brandon the Builder, but only if THEY killed him long time ago. And also that would make him about 8000 years old. For me it's not recessary Coldhands is a character we know, him helping both Sam and Bran's group is cool enough for me.

One question keeps nagging me: Is it even possible to warg a wight? I always assumed that you can only warg into something that is really alive, and even though the wights can move and attack and such, I guess we can be pretty sure that they are dead.

CH=NK sounds intriguing, though.

One question keeps nagging me: Is it even possible to warg a wight? I always assumed that you can only warg into something that is really alive, and even though the wights can move and attack and such, I guess we can be pretty sure that they are dead.

CH=NK sounds intriguing, though.

I do like the NK theory, but I had always thought that Coldhands was the result of a long-past Stark warging into the wight that was killing him at the moment of death. Hence the partial wightdom.. NK could still fit that category.

Coldhands is the NK, aka Brandon the Builder.

End of the first Bran chapter in ADwD:

"I'm your monster, Brandon Stark."

Bran is never referred to as Brandon Stark, simply saying, Coldhands is referring to himself here.

As many threads have been devoted to this subject, I dont think that I have ever seen this pointed out before. Good catch. Kinda makes since too.

If that is not the answer, then I always thought that Jon or Benjin Stark. Maybe even old skull-less Ned will rise out of the crypts.

• 4 weeks later...

Great theories. I can buy any of those.

I always thought to think that Benjen was Coldhands but, after a few deliberations I came to thinking about the fact:

Coldhands well, hands are black, so are his feet. You only get that "dying" effect (livor mortis) if you died upright (hanging comes to mind) and still upright for more than 12 hrs after death. It is possible that "wighting" CAN occur before livor mortis (less than 12 hrs, maybe more with the extreme cold). But the other wights (brothers from Benjen's ranging) came lumbering up from being dead at least a day after they were dead.

Was the Night King hanged?

Great theories. I can buy any of those.

I always thought to think that Benjen was Coldhands but, after a few deliberations I came to thinking about the fact:

Coldhands well, hands are black, so are his feet. You only get that "dying" effect (livor mortis) if you died upright (hanging comes to mind) and still upright for more than 12 hrs after death. It is possible that "wighting" CAN occur before livor mortis (less than 12 hrs, maybe more with the extreme cold). But the other wights (brothers from Benjen's ranging) came lumbering up from being dead at least a day after they were dead.

Was the Night King hanged?

I can't remember exactly but someone gives a Westeros scientific reason for the black hands and feet seen on all wights...probably some form of frost bite

I am of the opinion that Coldhands is no one important, just a body used by Bloodraven that exists in the story to set the precedent that dead things can be warged.

Skinchanging with the dead. That's a hard concept to follow. When a skinchanger's body dies while a warg (I know it's not proper but, I don't know how to put 'while on a wolf' in general), he/she goes back to his true body. So, I'd say its a stretch that dead men can be warged.

I can't remember exactly but someone gives a Westeros scientific reason for the black hands and feet seen on all wights...probably some form of frost bite

I don't recall wights being mentioned as having black hands/feet (unless I'm pretty stoned and read through it without actually understanding). But the blackening isn't caused by frostbite as per Coldhands (or was it Jojen) referring to them as blood setting to the extremities.

I'll also apologize for this:

It is possible that "wighting" CAN occur before livor mortis

I wikied it and found the chapter where Waymar Royce's corpse got reanimated just moments after his death.

Skinchanging with the dead. That's a hard concept to follow. When a skinchanger's body dies while a warg (I know it's not proper but, I don't know how to put 'while on a wolf' in general), he/she goes back to his true body. So, I'd say its a stretch that dead men can be warged.

I certainly got the impression that Coldhands was just a vessel being used by Bloodraven, but I suppose we'll find out next book.

"I'm your monster, Brandon Stark."

I think it is Benjen, and he said this because everyone calls him 'Bran' but his uncle knows him as Brandon.

Coldhands could be the son of the nights king/wight wife. They said there was interbreeding but what is said of the offspring? The history was made by the Citadel thousands of years after it happen and they seem to hide secrets about the past and magic. I think we will see the Citadel as a major player in the next two books

I think Coldhands took crasters saceafices to use the babies as a 'life for life' spell. This gives him the ability to live, speak and think. Although when craster died, he kills deserters instead. New life is worth more

I certainly get it. I do not mean to say it's not possible, just that it's my opinion. And with GRRM being GRRM, who knows. I just hope (along with everybody) that TWOW comes sooner than customary.

Of course, whats possible for Bloodraven (and Bran if he continues mentioring him) could go far beyond the abilities of an average skinchanger. I could believe that Bloodraven is capable of warging a wight.

• 2 weeks later...

But Bran the Builder was never Lord Commander of the NW? Or is it mentioned somewhere? And he built the wall - The Night's King is supposedly the 13'th Lord Commander which means that there would have been some considerable time going by.

Or did the Night watch exist before the wall?

Yes it's a large amount of evidence pointing to Bran Stark = NK mostly assured by Old Nan. I just need som explaining here...

I don't believe that the Builder is NK either (would bring a lot of unnecessary darkness to the Stark history, their greatest hero being so evil). There is evidence on both sides. However i will suggest that the Nights watch was formed to fight the Others, period. Nobody specified once the Wall was built. I always believed the Nights Watch formed during the Long Night, which means they could easily been onto their 13th LC by the time the wall was built.

That being said, I sincerely hope I am wrong about the NK!!!

Archived