What' s in a name? Syrio Forel.... any others?

pourthedamhypocras

has anyone thought of the greyjoys as Grey Joy, meaning they're no good or no fun?

Yes, or the idea that their joy is some how bad or wrong. Somewhat like these 3 characters from Edmund Spenser's poem, The Faerie Queene:

Sansfoy, Sansjoy and Sansloy (names from the old French meaning "Faithless", "Joyless" and "Lawless"), three saracen knights who fight Redcrosse in Book One.

I could swear that there is Aegon reference in the Faerie Queene, but I cannot find it.

Also, what about the story of Bran the Blessed of Welsh origin? Didn't he receive a pierced thigh or foot injury? The whole story of Bran the Blesssed, the Welsh one. Is quite interesting. Something about it is the reason ravens are allegedly still kept at the some Tower in London.

This is so much Fun.... thanks everyone! Love Berc Dondarion as well. But how fitting to have an Aria (Ayra) in a "song of ice and fire :)

Varys= varies and you doubt his loyalty. I'm sure there is an app to rearrange the letters of a word and we'd get some good ones some folks just have a knack for it , keep them coming these are great!

Personally I make the connection Varys as Var=Wargs ys=ice?

Ashae= ash eye, Melisansdre study the ashes with her eye.

Stark in swedish means strong, and is actually a surname in Sweden

Hmmm, my theory about the name Targaryen might be a little offensive but here goes.

So the Targ part is Dragon, shorten to drag, replace d with a t (they're dentals and very similar sounding) and switch the r and a to make it less obvious.

Now the aryen part is like Aryan - Hitler's perfect race who had blue eyes and blonde hair. Just change colours a shade from blonde to silver-gold and blue to purple. My tuppence. If this offends, report me.

The Targs do practice eugenics by marrying within the family, and they amassed a huge empire by torching their enemies with dragon fire (crematoriums?). The concentration camp victims were used as slave labor. I think the Aryan parallel holds up.

And not offensive unless you are sympathetic to the Nazis rather than their victims.

Lyanna

French (Lianna) - bound, tree covered with vines

English -(Lianna)-lily

Greek -form of Helen - Light, Mercy (seem to recall that Helen was kidnapped by Paris, which started the Trojan War)

Hebrew- God has answered

i wonder if her character is, in any sense, a bringer of light. . .

Arya - Proto-Indo-European for "free".

Syrio Forel - Syrian trout. :P

Euron is supposed to be pronounced as "yoo-rohn".

Btw, some names are simply generic medieval English names, such as those of Tywin, Jaime, Cersei, Robert and so on.

Found a few other ones

Melisandre- variation of Melisande it is German and means Strength, Determination (determined to her cause and she obviously has strength/power)

Theon- is Greek and means godly. As a character I dont see it but considering the Iron Islands devotion to the Drowned God it makes sense

Joffrey- maybe a bit of a stretch but I always saw it similary to GEOFFREY which ironically means gods peace or peaceful place

Found a few other ones

Melisandre- variation of Melisande it is German and means Strength, Determination (determined to her cause and she obviously has strength/power)

wait, where's that coming from? I'm a native German speaker and never heard the word 'Melisande' or some such - and it doesn't make any sense in German anyway.

• 2 months later...

This is a bit of a stretch. But the name Casterly (ie- the seat of the Lannisters, Casterly Rock) could be derived from the name Castor.

In myth Castor was twin to Polydeuces (roman form Pollux). Just as Jaime and Cersei are twins.

Castor and Polydeuces got in a dispute with two other men which was followed by a terrible battle. During this battle, Castor, was killed and Polydeuces (refusing to be left behind) begged the gods to allow him to follow Castor into death, a request the gods granted.

Maybe it's partly alluding to the whole "born together, die together" theme that Jaime and Cersei have got going on?

It's a persian name, it means faithful/friend

It's also a well known name in the Middle East and South Asia.

It fits more with the Hindu-Buddhist definition of "Arya":

The word ārya (Pāli: ariya), in the sense "noble" or "exalted", is very frequently used in Buddhist texts to designate a spiritual warrior or hero, which use this term much more often than Hindu or Jain texts.

In Buddhist texts, the āryas are those who have the Buddhist śīla (Pāli sīla, meaning "virtue") and follow the Buddhist path.

The Mahāvibhasa [40] states that only the noble ones (āryas) realize all four of the four noble truths (āryasatyāni) and that only a noble wisdom understands them fully. The same text also describes the āryas as the ones who "have understood and realized about the [truth of] suffering, (impermanence, emptiness, and no-self)" and who "understand things as they are".[39] In another text, the Yogācārabhūmi (Taishō 1579, vol. xx, 364b10-15), the āryas are described as being free from the viparyāsas.

"ARYA" is both Persian and Sanskrit in origin. (Indo-European)

Also, Arya named her direwolf Nymeria, who was a warrior queen of the Rhoynar people that allowed them to flee to Dorne when their lands were invaded by the Valyrian Freehold. She's esteemed as a heroine in Dorne.

Arya suffers firsthand the horrors of war as she's in the midst of it while traveling in the Riverlands (suffering). She witnesses/hears her father's beheading (impermanence), she pulls her mother's corpse from a river as Nymeria and ever since then, she describes herself as having "no heart" and void of emotion (emptiness). Then in Braavos, she trains under the order of the Faceless Men to embrace an identity as "no one" (no-self).

Archived