What' s in a name? Syrio Forel.... any others?

pourthedamhypocras

So after reading fascinating theories involving everything from martial arts training, "strategery" and just plain "the odds of his dumb luck". I'm ready to commit to why I really think Martin hasn't killed Syrio. His name is too good. Why did GMMR pick that name anyway? There's always his first name "Syrio" hmmm.... sounds a lot like Cyrano, a very famous literary "duelist" whom despite overwhelming odds, seems to survive scrapes with whole armys. I used to teach, so I can't just give everyone the significance of his last name...hands up..who's got it?

So after reading fascinating theories involving everything from martial arts training, "strategery" and just plain "the odds of his dumb luck". I'm ready to commit to why I really think Martin hasn't killed Syrio. His name is too good. Why did GMMR pick that name anyway? There's always his first name "Syrio" hmmm.... sounds a lot like Cyrano, a very famous literary "duelist" whom despite overwhelming odds, seems to survive scrapes with whole armies. I used to teach, so I can't just give everyone the significance of his last name...hands up..who's got it?

Well Forel is Dutch for Trout...dont know if thats relevant

Anyone have the idea that Syrio was actually the faceless man that gives her the three deaths. Perhaps even the head of the church. After all what was the faceless man doing in the dungeon to begin with? He was a faceless man. They are assassins that aren't caught. It always bothered me how Jaqen H'ghar ended up in a dungeon.

Dear Teach, I agree about "Syrio." It really sounds like "Cyrano." As for "Forel," I suggest "to the front" or "forward" from the root "fore." As for "Arya," maybe I am too literal, but it sounds like "aria" in the operatic sense "an elaborate melody sung by a single voice." I think she's blazing her own trail,

"Sansa" come from the Latin/FR/IT for "without" or "sans" or "san." She is the one Stark without her direwolf. Which explains the name of "Sandor" which I think means literally "without gold." Or "san;" without plus "d'or;" "gold."

I have posted before that the name "Hodor" most likely comes from the MD "hodde" which is a tray or trough carried over the shoulder" (usually in stone masonry). Bran may feel like a ton of bricks to Hodor by the time they get beyond the Wall.

Was interrupted so I came back to edit a bit. Anway, I'm sure there are more. I LOVE the name "Beric Dondarrion." Sometimes I have to say it out loud for no other reason than to say it out loud.

Syrio. The root is Greek referring to Osiris, the Egyptian god of the underworld. He is reborn every year when the Nile floods to fertilize the land.

do you have any link for that? because I think if that was the case then it wouldn't be spelled with a "y" but Sirio instead...

plus that could be a hint that Syrio will return :P

Some parallels to Nordic mythology are in these names, too:

Hothr is a demigod or human hero who killed Baldr, the god of the sun. He's also connected to the mother-godess Nanna. Hodor, anyone?

Tyr/Tiw is a god of both war and justice who lost a hand. The Lannisters (Tyrion, Tywin andd Jaime all fit some aspects)

Frey® is a god of fertility. Quite fitting for Lord walder an his breech army.

do you have any link for that? because I think if that was the case then it wouldn't be spelled with a "y" but Sirio instead...

plus that could be a hint that Syrio will return :P

Spelled Sirio, it seems to mean a person from Syria.

Archived