What' s in a name? Syrio Forel.... any others?

pourthedamhypocras

Besides the obvious Cersei-Circe mythological and literary reference, there is also a comic book character named Circe who battles Wonder Woman, mainly because of an oracular prophecy.

The Jacob/Esau reference regarding one twin holding the foot of the other during birth has been noted previously, but is still cool. Interestingly, though, it is Jacob who tricks Esau out of his inheritance, and here, at least IMO Cersei tricks Jaime out of his inheritance.

There was a previous thread where a person posited that many of the characters' names were anagrams. It is an very impressive listing and quite interesting and started because of the Alleras/Sarella thing, IIRC.

Regarding teal'c, that is exactly how I read it. Yes, I'm Southern, as bliss craft wondered about you, but doesn't saying the name Frey as "fry" make Frey pies that much cooler because it rhymes? Sorry, it may be wrong, but the Freys will always be "fries" to me.

P.S. Sorry for all the name references, but I'm having trouble getting my "quote" function to work, or it could just be me.

Ooohh, I did not realize until I did a quick Google search that Jaime, usually a Spanish or Portuguese name, is one of the Anglicized versions of Jacob. Cool. It means "the supplanter." IMO, though, GRRM uses the name more for its French meaning, i.e. J'aime=I love.

Mors was the ancient Roman personification of death, a crow (symbol of death) once took him for dead and ate his eye (he responded by pulling an Ozzie on it)

IIRC this as also the story behind an Umber right? not Whoresbane but the other one.

For everything else never expected to learn so much about history in here though it's really facinating :P ETA: I recalled it was Crowfood

Regarding teal'c, that is exactly how I read it. Yes, I'm Southern, as bliss craft wondered about you, but doesn't saying the name Frey as "fry" make Frey pies that much cooler because it rhymes? Sorry, it may be wrong, but the Freys will always be "fries" to me.

P.S. Sorry for all the name references, but I'm having trouble getting my "quote" function to work, or it could just be me.

Well the only south I am from is south of Boston, but from now on in my head, Frey rhymes with pie!

"Samwell" sounds like "Samuel" which means "listens to God." I'm not sure how this really fits with Samwell. Remains to be seen in Oldtown.

I have always associated "Sam" with "Sam" from the LOTR. He is the "true friend" to Jon Snow, as "Sam" is to "Frodo."

Besides the obvious Cersei-Circe mythological and literary reference, there is also a comic book character named Circe who battles Wonder Woman, mainly because of an oracular prophecy.

The Jacob/Esau reference regarding one twin holding the foot of the other during birth has been noted previously, but is still cool. Interestingly, though, it is Jacob who tricks Esau out of his inheritance, and here, at least IMO Cersei tricks Jaime out of his inheritance.

There was a previous thread where a person posited that many of the characters' names were anagrams. It is an very impressive listing and quite interesting and started because of the Alleras/Sarella thing, IIRC.

Link ?

IIRC this as also the story behind an Umber right? not Whoresbane but the other one.

For everything else never expected to learn so much about history in here though it's really facinating :P ETA: I recalled it was Crowfood

Yes, I was referring to Crowfood Umber

Val means "valiant"

Aeron is a form of Aaron, the brother of Moses who was the High Priest, the name meaning "enlightened"

Oberyn is a form of Oberon, the king of the fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream, it fits as Oberon wrecked a few relationships; Oberyn's sleeping with the Yronwood paramour and Yronwood's death from the duel lead to the wrecking of his brother's marriage when Doran sent Quentyn to foster at Yronwood

Doran means "to persist, to stand the test of time" so it describes him well

Edmure means "prosperity and protector", Edmure is noted by Eddard to defend everyone who calls him lord

Asha means "wish, desire, hope, awesome, expectation, prospect, success"

Tully is an Irish surname meaning "quiet, peaceful"

Martell means "hammer"

Archived