[Book Spoilers] EP201 Discussion

Ran

But Summer was weird... or was it the water that gave such impression?

I totally agree. Summer looked too dark. I'm like "Oh, I think that's Shaggy" but then it was obviously supposed to be Summer. Hum. Anyway, very minor issue there.

What is up with Craster? Not what I expected there. And er............. that Petyr/Cersei scene was odd to say the least and what's up with killing all the bastards? Did that even happen? Possibly my fault for not having read book 2 in a couple years but I have no memory of that.

Otherwise, it was alright but a little lackluster.

Cersei definitely had more than one bastard killed. Besides Barra there was the one at Casterly Rock.

It was a good choice to have Janos Slynt do the deed himself. Viewers may not remember him betraying Ned but they will definitely remember this.

Need to watch it again but:

- did not like that Ice was not included in the terms

- did not like that they didn't have Robb work over Catelyn with the "Send Umber instead" ploy that shows he is maturing as a leader and king.

- so Lightbringer gets left on the beach? kinda disappointed they didn't have all of the 7 in one bonfire - if they had shown that they were in the same pattern as the wildling bodies/Drogo's pyre that would have been one thing but this seemed haphazard

- Crasters was way too organized & clean, the focus being on Jon being pretty got a little cloying

excited it is back on, but it does have a great season 1 to follow up as well as a tough book to cover well.

This is exactly how I felt about it. All in all I did love it. Husband (the non book reader) also loved it.

I like that the show adds scenes like Cersei vs. Littlefinger. The show would be boring if it followed the books exactly. I want to be surprised a little.

I love the episode overall but I only have one complaint...the death and self sacrifice of Maester Cressen wasn't as dramatic/tragic as in the books. They could have played it up a little more.

Was stunned by the Cersei and LF scene. Wondering if was to make LF a bit more reactionary and therefore a seed to why he actively begins to betray the Lannisters.

I had heard about Tyrion's line to Cersei about how it must feel for her to be the disappointment. Loved it.

So totally agree on both points. LF seems to have prospered pretty well under the Lannisters, why would he betray them without a pretty good reason. Although I did like Cersei's smackdown when he tried to intimidate her.

Didn't like how clean and well-fed Craster was, didn't like the LF/Cersei scene, and I thought the show jumped around a little too much. Not sure much could be done about that though; although I don't think the second Bran scene was necessary, there'll be plenty of time later to show that he has strange dreams.

Otherwise I really liked it. Thee way Joffrey's tournament looked and the Dragonstone scenes stand out in particular; also Peter Dinklage was just knocking it out of the park, as always.

I expected Craster to be like Frey, too.

I did as well.

Loved Greywind snarling in Jaime's face.

Having to introduce so many new characters, Arya got stuck with the pointy end. ;) I was looking forward so much to seeing her!

Loved it. Thought it was great. One thing I did notice is how they mixed around the Stannis story (Burning of the gods/Maester Cressen poisoned). Trying to poison Melisandre was actually the prologue, and the burning of the gods was Davos's first chapter.

Also, Jon didn't see Craster until about half into the book. This makes me think that either a few episodes will be spent at Crasters or Jon's S2 story will have a lot of book 3 in it.

Dany's scene pretty much mirrored what her first chapter was, but because she only has 5 chapters in book 2, I think they will probably have some of her book 3 story in here too.

The final scene with Cersei killing the bastards was great. I'm glad they gave this more attention in the show than in the books.

Overall great way to start season 2. Did not dissapoint me.

I find it weird that it's felt Baelish needs some sort of set up -- like a petty remark getting him beat up by Cersei (figuratively) -- to explain why he might betray the Lannisters. He's already revealed a propensity for betraying people if he believes he can profit by it in the long term. He never tied himself to the Lannisters.

I really do think it's out of character even for the TV character -- it's a good point that his speech in the brothel scene in Ep 1 kind of required him not to do exactly what he did there -- and the fact that he's a 40-something year old with 15+ years of time at court under his belt, it's weird to imagine that he has so little tolerance of more powerful people picking on him.

Eh. Didn't like the scene, anyways. Even just from a dialog angle -- it was flat for me, too obvious.

Cersei definitely had more than one bastard killed. Besides Barra there was the one at Casterly Rock.

I know they were killed, but I don't recall their murdres in the book. I believe it was "off-screen" but I could be wrong.

I had a lot of the same issues as other people, but I realize that they are quite small and only matter because of how attached I am to the book. Taken in a vacuum, they are mostly fine.

Question though, who is the lord requesting masons from Winterfell? And then I didn't make out the name of the fat lord whom Maester Luwin called forth before it cut to the wolf dream.

I also found I'm liking Lena's Cersei more than I did in season 1. She is much more animated and emotional than she appeared in Season 1 which is definitely how I pictured Cersei.

I so agree! I made this comment to my husband. I was not a fan in Season 1 and I thought she did an excellent job in this episode.

I like that the show adds scenes like Cersei vs. Littlefinger. The show would be boring if it followed the books exactly. I want to be surprised a little.

For me, it's not a question of fidelity. I absolutely loved all the non-Ros additions to season 1 (the Robert/Cersei scene in particular was one of my favorites). The reason I disliked the Cersei/Littlefinger scene is that it's completely out of character for Littlefinger. He had that big speech in S1 talking about how 'fighting them was their game', and demonstrated that he was very well aware of his strengths and limitations. There is no advantage to giving away his game like that, and quite a big disadvantage. Littlefinger isn't stupid, and that was an amateur move.

Archived