Norvos

mor2

I just stumbled on this on the wikia, labelled as info from the books:

Norvos is described as a city in two parts. The low city sprawls along the river with numerous docks and wharves, whilst the high city extends along the hilltops. Both are walled and fortified. The city as a whole is a theocracy ruled by the Bearded Priests. However, the nature of their religion is unknown.

The city is mercantile, and its wealth is based upon lying the trade route from Pentos to Qohor and the Dothraki sea, as well as minerals mined from the Hills of Norvos, which stretch from the city to the Shivering Sea.

Soldiers and warriors are trained in the city, recruited by the Bearded Priests when they are just boys. Some Norvosi prefer the use of axes in battle to the more traditional swords.

there was any mention of Norvos docks and wharves?, Its walls today, on both parts?(though I can be assumed, from the war and since even the small villages around are walled), there caravans and they are located on the trade route but is this is the source of their trade?(I thought they produce all those dye and carpets) and mines in the hils of norvos? that they are a theocracy? ruled by the Beareded priests? I thought they were a militant order like he faith militant. How are the bearded priest connected with city soldiers? I thought they just train the boy the get?

Is there any particular book I need to reread, is this speculation/wrong or maybe insight from some companion book ?

What little information there is in the books is most likely in the chapters of Areo Hotah - so in aFfC and aDwD. Some of that stuff you quoted doesn't ring an immediate bell (no pun intended) as being from the books, and may not be canon.

This what I was going by but since It's missing info from adwd, I checked adwd as well and then double check the previous books, but maybe the magic of search in a digital version doesn work so well and missed some info :dunno:

EDIT: still my main question is if there is some info that is not in the books and I am not aware of?

Some of that information comes from the rulebook of the Game of Thrones RPG, published by GUARDIANS OF ORDER, INC, the year 2005.

Since it was an official game that received GRRM approval, most people I know consider all the information the rulebook contains canon unless directly contradicted by the books themselves.

I need to dig this one to check/add references, because the new RPG books has none of that.

There were people from westeros.org who helped make the game, so they could answer better than me:

"Special Thanks To

Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and Linda Antonsson of www.westeros.org for special support, writing, and consultation.

Michael Siciliano for his interview with George R. R. Martin.

Troy Duffy, Andy Fix, David de Jong, and Paul Jackson for phase II playtesting above and beyond the call of duty.

Joe Saul, who started this whole ball rolling.

Ryan Dancey, for always picking up the phone when it rang."

There must be someplace around the forums where Elio M.Garcia and Linda Antonsson talk about the RPG, and about Michael Siciliano interview with GRRM about the game.

Anyway, only a part of the text in the wiki could come from that rulebook "Lying to the east of Pentos, this continental city is ruled by a theocracy. The rulers are a hereditary sect of bearded priests, who do not discuss their gods with outsiders. Norvos is a land of gentle hills and sprawling farms with small villages behind stucco walls. The Norvoshi are known as masters at creating intricate textiles, including fi ne tapestries that are renowned the world over. The Norvoshi men tend to grow their moustaches long, dye them, and sweep them up into points."

I don´t know where the rest could come from.

I created the Norvos article based on the RPG entry (mentioned above) and, basically, the WoIaF article. The mining stuff I did from memory from ADWD, but I have a suspicion that might have been a reference to Qohor (there was something about minerals coming down the Darkwash from the Axe, but that would involve passing through Qohorik territory, not Norvosi).

Feel free to edit :) You don't even have to sign in to change the Wikia.

There were people from westeros.org who helped make the game, so they could answer better than me

Which is why I posted it here ;) the question is how much speculation based on canon vs cannon was there and how much of it is still relevant...

ETA: I forgot mention that, in the new RPG book it said that. Norvos is ruled by a High Magister and a council of religious protectors rule it.

Feel free to edit :) You don't even have to sign in to change the Wikia.

Thanks, but I barely have time here. Beside, I dont like that new skin of yours... for that matter you know you could always come here, we the books crowd, surely appreciate anyone with a good knowledge of the books :)

p.s. in the books my ass ;)

Archived