[No Spoilers] My favorite line / scene of E01 - Cersei vs Tyrion

Envie

One of my favorite, and most charged exchanges was when Tyrion arrives at the small council to announce his position as Hand. He and Cersei have some words about the war and then the conversation gets really tense:

Cersei: "Joffrey is King"

Tyrion: "Joffrey is King"

Cersei: "You are here to advise him"

Tyrion: "Only here to advise him... And if the King listens to what I have to say, the King might just get his Uncle Jaime back."

Cersei: "How?"

Tyrion: "You love your children. It's your one redeeming quality. That, and your cheekbones. The Starks love their children as well; And we have two of them..."

Cersei: "... one ..."

Tyrion: "One?"

Cersei: "Arya, the little animal, she disappeared..."

Tyrion: "Disappeared. What, in a puff of smoke?! We had three Starks to trade. You chopped one's head off and let another escape. Father would be furious. It must be odd for you... to be the disappointing child."

Cersei's squirming was positively palpable at this point. It is at this very moment I think most viewers start to realize that Cersei's slip is starting to show and she's headed for disaster. You realize earlier on her kid is a total brat and out of control, but now you see that Cersei's really not in control of anything at all.

I am so glad Peter Dinklage won an Emmy... he runs verbal circles around everyone else with his amazing acting.

Gosh, it has so many undertones to it...I'm gathering that they have a respect for each other (family name) but she definitely is not very fond of him unlike his bond with Jaime.

I look forward to each week to see what Tyrion is going to do in Kings Landing!!

• 1 month later...

As much as Peter Dinklage has done a great great job so far 'it must be hard for you to be the disappointing child' sounded off, I felt his intonation didn't really carry over the meaning and it just sounded weird. One of 3 or so lines that bothered me this episode.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived