Why is everybody son intrigued by the crypts of winterfell?

Vinterhed

There seems to be a lot of people being intrigued by the crypts of Winterfell.

First person is Robert, and that is not so strange since Lyanna is burried there.

Then the frog eaters.

Then Mance.

Anyone else?

Why is everybody so eager to go down there?

There seems to be a lot of people being intrigued by the crypts of Winterfell.

First person is Robert, and that is not so strange since Lyanna is burried there.

Then the frog eaters.

Then Mance.

Anyone else?

Why is everybody so eager to go down there?

This I don't remember. However, there is also lady Dustin and Jon's weird dreams.

About Mance to quote myself from another thread:

Anyone else thinks that Mance is interested in the WF crypts because he is still searching for the same thing as when he was opening graves in Frostfangs?

Overall, I think that every person has hers his own different reason.

The Starks are one of the oldest families in Westeros and Winterfell is likely one of the oldest Castles, circa the age of Bran the Builder. Much like other places built from that era (The Wall, Storm's End), there is probably power in place like that. Power and secrets.

There is a sleeping dragon on the lowest level. It is known.

Seriously, I think that most people are attracted to old, shadowy, mysterious places. There might be some secret power there that attracts them.

I'm pretty sure there's something important for Jon hidden there, the rest have different reasons. Mance I thought was looking for someplace to hide with his spearwives, but idea that's he was down there looking for something is good, too.

Little Walder was killed at or near the Old Keep, the location of the entrance to the crypts. It's thought that Big Walder killed him. I pictured a LOTR kind of scene, where Little Walder found something that Big Walder wanted, so Big Walder offed him. I have absolutely no textual evidence for this, but GRRM does give shout-outs to other authors so I filled in the blanks accordingly.

Thanks Vinterhed for this thread. I've wanted to see what other folks thought about these crypts but not gotten around to starting a thread.

Thanks SS#9 for giving me some reason Mance was asking about the crypts. Even though Bran, Rickon, et. al. hid down there it didn't occur to me that it was just for a hiding place. It's not like George reuses plot situations, eh?

So, here are the things that are mysterious to me, with some possible explanations. I'd like to hear what others (small o) think as well.

1. Why did Lyanna get a statue? Starks other than Kings and Lords are buried there, but only the Kings and Lords have statues.

a. She's not really buried there; the statue is part of a "glamour" perpetrated by Ned.

b. Because she married Rhaegar, she is a princess or queen so is entitled to a statue.

2. What is in the lower levels that we don't know about yet?

a. Dragon eggs, a dragon, the Horn of Joramun? All these have been suggested here on the boards.

b. Some weapon or information which will be useful in fighting Others.

c. Rickon has been playing down there; has he found anything interesting?

3. What was Barbrey Dustin's interest in the crypts?

a. She was looking for signs that Bran and Rickon have been hiding there. Not sure if she is working for Wyman or Roose. She fed Theon a lot of hate speech about Ned. I think it was all meant for Theon to repeat to Ramsay, and that she is still loyal to the Starks.

b. If so maybe she went back later and slipped Ned in where he belongs.

4. Is there a connection between White Walkers and wights and the iron swords across the tombs? We are told that the White Walkers hate iron, and that the swords are placed there to keep the souls in their tombs.

5. Why is Jon dreaming about the crypts? Is there information buried in Lyanna's tomb that establishes his identity?

6. What is Mance's interest in the crypts? SS#9 thinks he was looking for somewhere to hide after the "Arya" escape. Any other ideas about what he is looking for?

There is definetely something going on with the crypts...GRRM makes a point to mention how they go down even further, to levels no one has explored (that we know of!). I assume that something or someone of importance is down there! Either someone hiding out in Winterfell or something that someone (Jon?) needs to find.

About Lyanna's statue...yes, it is strange that she is there among the kings. I have always assumed that there was some clue to why she met her fate and Jons identity down there where she is buried.

Thanks Vinterhed for this thread. I've wanted to see what other folks thought about these crypts but not gotten around to starting a thread.

Thanks SS#9 for giving me some reason Mance was asking about the crypts. Even though Bran, Rickon, et. al. hid down there it didn't occur to me that it was just for a hiding place. It's not like George reuses plot situations, eh?

So, here are the things that are mysterious to me, with some possible explanations. I'd like to hear what others (small o) think as well.

1. Why did Lyanna get a statue? Starks other than Kings and Lords are buried there, but only the Kings and Lords have statues.

a. She's not really buried there; the statue is part of a "glamour" perpetrated by Ned.

b. Because she married Rhaegar, she is a princess or queen so is entitled to a statue.

Ned buried Brandon and Lyanna in the crypts because he loved them so much, even though neither of them technically should be buried there since they're not the lord of Winterfell. Bran mentions it to Osha in a chapter iirc.

Perhaps the tomb of the Stark who fought the Night King, or even Bran the Builder himself, contains something important? Winterfell is supposed to be made around the time of the Long Night so it's not impossible.

I think there's a possibility of Jon, having discovered he's a Targaryen, will prove himself a true Stark in the tomb.

Ned buried Brandon and Lyanna in the crypts because he loved them so much, even though neither of them technically should be buried there since they're not the lord of Winterfell. Bran mentions it to Osha in a chapter iirc.

He does. However, the given reason doesn't have to be the real one. Bran specifically says "that's for kings and lords" - Lyanna could be a queen and Ned couldn't give her a statue without also giving one to his brother. Besides, Brandon may have been a lord for a minute or two if he didn't predecease his father.

2. What is in the lower levels that we don't know about yet?

a. Dragon eggs, a dragon, the Horn of Joramun? All these have been suggested here on the boards.

3. What was Barbrey Dustin's interest in the crypts?

a. She was looking for signs that Bran and Rickon have been hiding there. Not sure if she is working for Wyman or Roose. She fed Theon a lot of hate speech about Ned. I think it was all meant for Theon to repeat to Ramsay, and that she is still loyal to the Starks.

1 or he simply loved her.

Speaking about Rickon I think it has some connection with his dreams

I have a crackpot that dead in cryps are connected with the last hero and the story old Nan never told whole. Maybe some backup army of dead Starks that can be awoken in time of need.

I have a crackpot that dead in cryps are connected with the last hero and the story old Nan never told whole. Maybe some backup army of dead Starks that can be awoken in time of need.

There is a relevant theory developed about that. I only keep in mind one snippet. It is told that the Others are repelled by iron and dragonglass. We have not seen any Others destroyed by iron, but it is said that each statue in Winterfell crypts must have an iron sword. So this might indicate some sort of control/connetion to the Others. If not an ability to lead them, then to destroy them. And I always remember those underground tunnels Ygritte spoke of. How people went down and never came out and might be living there still. Children of the Forest seem fond of such thing too. I can not quite connect them nicely, but there are a lot of those details...

They explain it was just Eddard's love for her that made him give her a statue, but it is entirely possible that she got one because of being a princess by way of marriage to Rhaegar - I actually love this theory. But did Brandon state that only the kings and queens of the North get a statue?

I do not believe that she is not really buried there and her grave is empty, Eddard would not want her to lie anywhere else. And everybody knew that he was carrying her corpse North, maybe he wanted to carry something else and hide it in the crypt, but I cannot think of anything that important

5. Why is Jon dreaming about the crypts? Is there information buried in Lyanna's tomb that establishes his identity?

Maybe there is, maybe that is what Eddard hid in her tomb. But I do not imagine what that could be. About him dreaming about that, I think it is mostly connected to his unsure position among the Starks and problems he has because of it.

Jon states to Sam he keeps having a dream in AGoT, where he is wandering alone through Winterfell with the crypt looking for someone but he doesn't know who. He runs to find himself at the front door to the crypts. He's afraid of what is waiting for him down there. He screams that he is not a Stark, that it isn't his place, but it is no good and he feels he has to go down, so he starts, with no torch to light his way. It gets darker and darker, until he wants to scream, and then he wakes up.

I hope in his next dream he does go down there.

And everybody knew that he was carrying her corpse North, maybe he wanted to carry something else and hide it in the crypt, but I cannot think of anything that important

Maybe there is, maybe that is what Eddard hid in her tomb. But I do not imagine what that could be. About him dreaming about that, I think it is mostly connected to his unsure position among the Starks and problems he has because of it.

There is that chance that Jon, as every newborn Targaryen, could have been given a dragon egg. Others speculate that Rhaegars rubies are mentioned far too often to not figure into the story somehow (but they are not a thing that would indicate much to Jon, I think).

Archived