Would the TV series benefit from narration?

mtwebster

This obviously goes against the POV format in the books, but it seems to me the main thing lacking in the TV version is context - and without that, the writers are forced to hit viewers over the head with things that would benefit from much more subtlety. A narrator would lend some setup to the various sub-plots, and in my opinion allow them to flow better than their current format, 'here this subplot is, hope you read the books.'

Sure, a Galadriel like overview might help connect some of the dots or help introduce a new location like Dragonstone or the Pyke. Since it's not the books, the mode of data flow doesn't have to mirror the inner monologue or exposition the same way.

They could do it by having another Ros sexposition while pouring over a map of "where will I go next? The Great Waste looks like a wonderful place this time of year!"

Sure, a Galadriel like overview might help connect some of the dots or help introduce a new location like Dragonstone or the Pyke. Since it's not the books, the mode of data flow doesn't have to mirror the inner monologue or exposition the same way.

They could do it by having another Ros sexposition while pouring over a map of "where will I go next? The Great Waste looks like a wonderful place this time of year!"

They could do one of those Indiana Jones map transisitions, but instead of showing them in a plane, you've got Ros riding a customer all the way to Pyke!

No, and using a narrator is the opposite of being subtle. It's way too late now to add a narrator, and I'm glad the show never used one. Had the first episode opened like Lord of the Rings with a long voice over narration of the history of Westeros, I think a lot of new viewers would have changed the channel.

A narrator would be a terrible idea.

And "the writers are forced to hit viewers over the head" is not a view that I'd share. They do it because they consider the average viewer has limited comprehension skills (and they might be right). But it's not a requirement. At all.

Archived