Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Myshkin

Nobel Literature Prize Speculation 2017

245 posts in this topic

Kazuo Ishiguro wins. Very surprised by this choice, but also very pleased. Ishiguro is awesome, I just didn't think he'd win for another decade or so.

Some thoughts: 

This choice proves the Swedish Academy isn't completely allergic to massively popular writers. 

Two English language winners in a row means that next year's winner probably won't be writing in English.

Ishiguro's win means that Rushdie won't be winning anytime soon.

Probably hurts Murakami's chances of winning too. Murakami and Ishiguro are tied closely together in the public mind, based solely as far as I can tell on the facts that they are both hugely popular and both are of Japanese descent. Doesn't really seem to matter that they write in different languages and different traditions. 

The Swedish Academy pulled off choosing a very deserving and well known writer, while still managing to surprise pretty much everyone.

Ishiguro comes closer to writing genre than any previous winner. Never Let Me Go is straight dystopian SF. It's also one of the most beautiful novels I've ever read. If you're looking for a place to start with Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go is a good choice.

Posted (edited)

I should get back to reading The Buried Giant. It was interesting, but oh my goodness it meanders a lot.

Never Let Me Go is astonishing. The Remains of the Day, on the other hand, I didn't get on with at all.

By the way Myshkin as a fan what book of Rushdie's is best to start? I tried Midnight's Children and pretty much hated it. The humour displayed there drove me up the wall, so anything with a different ambience in that regard would be nice.

Edited by polishgenius

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

By the way Myshkin as a fan what book of Rushdie's is best to start? I tried Midnight's Children and pretty much hated it. The humour displayed there drove me up the wall, so anything with a different ambience in that regard would be nice.

Well if you didn't like Midnight's Children, Rushdie just might not be for you. If you're determined to give him another go though, I'd say try The Enchantress of Florence. It's not so thematically heavy as Rushdie's other works, but instead really focuses of the beauty of the language. And language is where Rushdie really shines. 

6 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Some thoughts: 

This choice proves the Swedish Academy isn't completely allergic to massively popular writers. 

Two English language winners in a row means that next year's winner probably won't be writing in English.

Ishiguro's win means that Rushdie won't be winning anytime soon.

Probably hurts Murakami's chances of winning too. Murakami and Ishiguro are tied closely together in the public mind, based solely as far as I can tell on the facts that they are both hugely popular and both are of Japanese descent. Doesn't really seem to matter that they write in different languages and different traditions. 

The Swedish Academy pulled off choosing a very deserving and well known writer, while still managing to surprise pretty much everyone.

Ishiguro comes closer to writing genre than any previous winner. Never Let Me Go is straight dystopian SF. It's also one of the most beautiful novels I've ever read. If you're looking for a place to start with Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go is a good choice.

Actually I am relieved that Margaret Atwood did not win. Two Canadians in close proximity would have made us unbearably smug as a country.