[BOOK SPOILERS] Why did they kill Rakharo ?

Why on earth did they have to go and kill Rakharo?

I don't remember him dying anywhere in ACOK.

It's ok when they don't mention at all a character or replace him with someone else (like the Ironhand guy, or the Black fish and so many others...) but killing someone who wasn't supposed to...

I don't know, it upsets me!!!

heres the thing. The TV audience wont remember the name of rahkaro or Mago by the time they become really relevant so it's easy to replace them with dothrakhi's with other names, Theres so many story lines and character for each story that people like that are hard for the audience to remember properly.

Horses are difficult to direct. And time-consumingas well, I assume. The series rarely shows horses when it can reasonably avoid it.

Also, in this specific case it would be quite a challenge to respect the horse's well-being without making it appear too healthy for the situation.

I was more curious as to why they killed Silver than Rahkaro.

I will second that. They needed some kind of melodrama in the 1st episode ?

Not really, no particular plot advancement there.

We don't even see Cat arrive at Rendly's camp on horse, I know there are some in E4...

There is a particular scene coming up that gonna look diminished if Dany is on foot.

I have seen and read stories of how , well modern directors and producers, don't like the problems horse cause with production shoots, and that's movies, even dogs.

Must not have bothered John Ford.

Because the actor, Elyes Gabel, moved on to other projects (World War Z). I think most people were sad to see him go.

They could've replaced him easily, nobody would've noticed. I know i wouldn't, I wouldn't even know his name if i hadn't read the books.

I'm guessing they had another reason to kill him, can't imagine why, though.

I think they took advantage of him leaving to create some emotional import. So far that and the silver dying is all that's happened in dany's story so far this season. Also, recasting can be cheesy, and there are lots of people who liked the actor. There is even a small contingent of Rakharo/Irri 'shippers.

I hope that is all we hear of it. I doubt they needed any closure because a minor character quit. He could have just dissappeared without mention.

The change is problematic in that one might believe that it is a setup for future retribution against the Dothraki that does not occur in the book. They might replace an enemy that Dany does encounter for sake not needing new location

Meh, I was disappointed too. I rather liked the actor, too. I also found it quite cheap. I mean, I cared about the character but those sentiments came mostly from the book. His show-dead was only a disappointing annoyance, not dramatic at all.

Theres nothing like the old 'Head in the Bag', scene to give a boring storyline some bite...and a bit of good old wailing always helps.

As far as poor old Silver's concerned....well .... :drool: Horse Burgers will keep the group going for quite a while...got to be practical....

it was either that of Dragon Kebebs and they wouldnt have fed nearly as many.......as well as stuffing the story up altogether .. :dunce: .

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, personally I feel that this is quite a big deal. I mean don't her Bloodriders have a role to play in the negotiation in Meeren, as hostages? Also, WHY would anyone want to kill off Silver? That is one of Dany's ties to Drogo! Almost every time Silver is mentioned in the book she remembers Drogo and draws strength from that!

• 4 months later...

I will second that. They needed some kind of melodrama in the 1st episode ?

Not really, no particular plot advancement there.

We don't even see Cat arrive at Rendly's camp on horse, I know there are some in E4...

There is a particular scene coming up that gonna look diminished if Dany is on foot.

I have seen and read stories of how , well modern directors and producers, don't like the problems horse cause with production shoots, and that's movies, even dogs.

Must not have bothered John Ford.

Martin has said that one of the things he really misses having on set are HORSES! His knights are supposed to be riding horses! But he said the locations all over the place, and the cost and the production problems of making them do what they are supposed to in a scene were too much. Westerns took place in a limited area, and where horses were aplenty. Not so in this series.

• 2 weeks later...

Martin has said that one of the things he really misses having on set are HORSES! His knights are supposed to be riding horses! But he said the locations all over the place, and the cost and the production problems of making them do what they are supposed to in a scene were too much. Westerns took place in a limited area, and where horses were aplenty. Not so in this series.

indeed. I found the battle for Kings Landing particularly difficult with everyone on foot.

Archived