The future of Jaime and Brienne?

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but what do you guys think the fate of Jaime and Brienne will be?

Here are some possibilities I've considered:

1.) The most unlikely case, take the scenerio at face value. Brienne somehow escaped her hanging, Sansa escapes the Vale and the Hound is still out there alive. Jaime realizes his love for her and they get it on? Very unlikely but you never know with Georgie.

2.) Brienne is leading Jaime into a trap to save the lives of Ser Hyle and Podrick. Perhaps the word she yelled out was "Jaime!" or "Kingslayer!" Although Brienne's fondness of Jaime and whole honour and oathkeeper thing makes this seem unlikely, being on the edge of death can change a person in such a way. Maybe Cersei will lose the trial by combat, and her and Jaime will be excecuted simultaneously. "We came in this world together, we will leave it together..."

EDIT: I'm aware GRRM confirmed the word to be "Sword!" but the same idea applies.

3.) Brienne was hung, but the word she yelled before she died made Catelyn realize she was wrong to hang her. She passes on the "Kiss of life" to Brienne. Jaime described Brienne as looking 10 years older, but that could also just be a result of her feverish episode after her encounter with Biter. This however would explain Brienne's reason to lead Jaime into a trap. Both Beric and Catelyn were described to be "different people" in their ressurected forms.

Or maybe it is a mix of one of these theories, or something completely different altogether! What do you guys think?

She's almost certainly alive. Chances are she yelled "sword" to save the lives of Pod and Hyle, and is pretty much resigned to luring in Jaime for their sake.

I think this spells the end of Jaime, sadly. I could see him demanding a trial by combat, and being granted it purely because he can't win it. From Cat's point of view, it could be the perfect way to add insult to his downfall, but still... he is the Kingslayer; it's a risk. It's worth mentioning that he's been missing in-verse for months now, too... It's not like Cat is using him as a hostage. Her MO seems to be "hang first, don't bother with questions," so yeah. What value does Jaime have that could stop her from stringing him up on a tree?

I'm pretty sure Jaime or Brienne will die. Possibly both. UnCat needs to become a very personal menace, and killing off one of those two would be a good way to paint that picture.

I don't think George will write off Lady Stoneheart this soon. I also have an inkling that Jaime will become a sort of hero of the series, so he won't die yet.

But I really don't dare to guess what's happenign with there storyline, because it seems like anything can happen...

She's almost certainly alive. Chances are she yelled "sword" to save the lives of Pod and Hyle, and is pretty much resigned to luring in Jaime for their sake.

I think this spells the end of Jaime, sadly. I could see him demanding a trial by combat, and being granted it purely because he can't win it. From Cat's point of view, it could be the perfect way to add insult to his downfall, but still... he is the Kingslayer; it's a risk. It's worth mentioning that he's been missing in-verse for months now, too... It's not like Cat is using him as a hostage. Her MO seems to be "hang first, don't bother with questions," so yeah. What value does Jaime have that could stop her from stringing him up on a tree?

I'm pretty sure Jaime or Brienne will die. Possibly both. UnCat needs to become a very personal menace, and killing off one of those two would be a good way to paint that picture.

I thought about why Stoneheart owuld keep Jaime alive and came to a theory, even if very unlikely:

Stoneheart wants the death of all the participants of the RW, plus revenge against the Lannisters. If she kills Jaime, she will kill one of the plotters (that's what she thinks anyway, thanks to Roose Bolton). If she keep him alive, she could use him as a hostage to send Brienne on some errands and could gain some information about the different hosts along the Riverlands, since Jaime was the commander and knows how strong they are and what are the commanders' personalities. With that information, tha BwB could rescue the prisioners from the RW, take Darry, Riverrun, Harrenhall and maybe even rescue Edmure.

So, if she is not just a vengeful spirit, but also has some cunning in her, she could use a live Kingslayer, instead of just feeding a few crows.

If Jaime was to die now, I'd be so sad, but it would be the real irony and bitterness of it... he's redeeming himself, becoming a greater man, and him to die in the shade, without having a single chance to prove himself, dying with still the unfamous image of the Kingslayer would be the total irony, realism and cynism and in a way, I'd love that.

And since I really dont see UnCat dying anytime soon, I guess there are fair chances for Jaime to die.

Moreover, GRRM said he still had other scenes to write as difficult as the Red Wedding, maybe this is one of them: final deaths of Jaime, Brienne, Podrick and Hyle Hunt... who knows but him?

Brienne is alive, she'll bring Jaimie to UnCat. Jamie will demand Trial by combat which will be granted since his right hand is missing. UnCat will make Brienne her champion. Brienne will die, maybe voluntarily, because she is more unable to kill Jaime than Jaime is unable to kill Brienne.

And maybe then UnCat revives her and we have UnBrienne sticking Oathkeeper into Jamie and becoming Zombie Jeanne d'Arc.

All of you are forgetting the prophecy made to Cersei which states 'her valanqor will kill her'. Cersei is certain it is Tyrion, but GRRM is sure to twist it as Jaime being the answer. If he still has that role left, he cannot be killed by Stoneheart. Jamie is already incensed by Cersei's lack of restraint with men, he barely needs a trigger to kill her (like all their children dying as said the prophecy)

Passing on the kiss of life to Brienne is absurd, it was originally passed on because it was such a central character like Cat who has seen her honorable son and husband being murdered. Doing it twice would make it child's play.

I'm ignoring all the prophecies because I consider they do not deserve the story and spoil it, I hate them all, so I pay no attention to them.

And they can all be... false...

It's worth mentioning that he's been missing in-verse for months now, too...

Wait, when is this mentioned? Also, I like the theory of him demanding trial by combat, and unCat making Brienne her champion, thus paving the way for Brienne to redeem herself by purposefully losing to him. unCat would then still demand his death, but the rest of the band might be contrary, hopefully.

IIRC didn't Jaime have a dream in which he and Brienne were fighting side by side in the dark against shadowy figures - think it was AFFC? And as a result of the dream Jaime felt that they were joined in fate somehow which in turn guided his decision to keep her alive (from the bearpit) and assist her in the quest to find Sansa? They both have the twin swords in their possession, at the onset of winter snows/darkness, and like twins they seem to need each other to compliment each other as a fighting unit (particularly with Jaime being short a hand).

I also see Brienne being involved in the Lannister siblings end-game as well somehow - not sure yet, perhaps if Cersei was jealous enough to off Brienne it would give Jaime cause to seek vengeance.

Lady Stoneheart will confront Lord Walder Frey and or Littlefinger. I am sure of it. As for Jaime, he will see Cersei one last time. Jaime, I guess is about to meet Lady Stoneheart thus making his spiritual rebirth as a better man and knight complete. I suspect he will be inspired and will do the right thing and help get the Norther hostages released and help get Sansa directly. Jaime and Briene ride again.

IIRC didn't Jaime have a dream in which he and Brienne were fighting side by side in the dark against shadowy figures - think it was AFFC? And as a result of the dream Jaime felt that they were joined in fate somehow which in turn guided his decision to keep her alive (from the bearpit) and assist her in the quest to find Sansa? They both have the twin swords in their possession, at the onset of winter snows/darkness, and like twins they seem to need each other to compliment each other as a fighting unit (particularly with Jaime being short a hand).

I also see Brienne being involved in the Lannister siblings end-game as well somehow - not sure yet, perhaps if Cersei was jealous enough to off Brienne it would give Jaime cause to seek vengeance.

They don't have the twin swords. Oathkeeper is Jaime's, the other is probably with Tommen right now. But it was a nice catch, the dream thing.

I'm guessing the word Brienne shouted was "Oathkeeper," and Lady Stoneheart spares her in exchange for delivering Jaime. I dont think Jaime will die though, I agree that it will be him who kills Cersei. I also think there's a pretty good chance Jaime and Brienne will hook up

I'm not really sure what Jamie will make of Uncat. Reviving Breinne from death would probaly finish Stoneheart of just like it did to Beric. I definitely feel that she leading Jamie into a trap. I don't know if they plan on trying to kill him or capture him.

All we need here is something to interrupt the execution of Jaime. This is George, absolutely any sequence of events could happen from left field. If we're pressed for options, may I suggest Nymeria and her giant wolf pack, or maybe the Blackfish stumbles into Hollow Hill? The Freys finally launch an offensive? Are any of the Bloody Mummers left? Zollo's still alive, right, the one who chopped off Jaime's hand? There you go, poetic justice.

Anyway, bang, Jaime and Brienne escape - forever changed! - and go on to complete whatever their story arcs are going to be. I do hope Catelyn and the BwB become more prominent threats, though, I love 'em. So much potential.

I'm guessing the word Brienne shouted was "Oathkeeper," and Lady Stoneheart spares her in exchange for delivering Jaime.

I've reread the chapter last night, first time I reread it, and it became obvious for me that the word was "sword", yet, I still can be mistaken.

I agree, I don't think Brienne died at that point. And if she had, Catelyn surely wouldn't have given up the precious gift of her own UnLife. She's too hell-bent on revenge, and the retrieval of her daughters. (And I hope & pray Sansa nor Arya nor Bran nor Rickon ever have to see their dead!Mother like that.)

I'm 100% confident that Brienne is alive; Jaime thought she looked 10 years older because of the horrific experiences she's been through since they parted.

In my perfect world, Brienne told Jaime the fib about the Hound & knowing where Sansa was so that she could lure him away from the others, and they could talk privately. She then told him the truth about all of it. Their plan: ride out, just the two of them, alone (which, we know they did, because news of that got back to Cersei.) Before they leave, Jaime confides in two (trusted?) archers and bids them follow along behind. Tell no one, follow at a distance so as not to be seen by any of UnCat's potential spies. (Or, ride ahead, hide themselves well, and wait for their arrival.) Jaime & Brienne get back to the BwB, get Pod and Hyle to safety, and then the arrows are unleashed. They all escape unharmed.

[/wishful-thinking] :lol:

Jaime has got quite a story arc remaining for him as evidenced by his page in the White Book which is still two thirds empty.

I think Bran is going to intervene at his execution - which would be really ironic given that Jaime is the one that tried to kill Bran and now Bran is saving his life.

Jaime will get some mission to come and assist Jon in the North. And in this way, Lightbringer (Oathkeeper) will end up with Jon.

The rest is fuzzy, but I think something significant will definitely intervene when Catelyn tries to execute Jaime.

Archived