The future of Jaime and Brienne?

9 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I think Brienne losing her "maidenhead" to Jaime is very likely, and I really hope this happens. There has been enough foreshadowing for it, anyway.

Also believe Brienne will ,outlive Jaime, probably survives the series, and if she does with a child in her belly I'll be completely satisfied. It also perfectly fits the bittersweet ending announced by George.

I think the reason we got to like those two is because it starts with utter antagonism on both parts but there is also almost "healthy competition."  They are both great with the sword and that is in a way their foreplay just like some people might flirt by having a friendly, silly pillow fight.  We could see the bond growing, even all the nasty things he said to her were almost playful in a way. He was clearly trying to get a reaction.  Also of course the fact that she is so honourable when, despite what he pretends, it really bugs him that people keep calling him the opposite, added to his interest and his reputation maybe to her curiosity (but not entirely sure on this last point).  The way I would see a sex scene with this two, although not very imaginative, I know, would be with a sort of play sword fight.  Of course she is better shape than him despite not being in a great shape right now because he has lost his sword hand but I think they could practice and tease and hey, exhausted or not bang!  Either that or just before or after a hugely dramatic moment in the series when confronted with imminent death or something like that...

35 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I personally don't see how people can see something consensual (say Sansa and Sandor) as "rapey" in the environment they are in the books.  In today's society, yes, she would be underage, so her and anyone would be child abuse but where they are this is the norm.  People fight, die young, life is brutal, it's how it is so women marry much much younger as do men, so I don't find it a problem in that context at all.

when I say rapey, I don't mean because she's underage, I was rather thinking about him holding her down her bed, with a knife at her throat, and forcing her to "sing" for him.

2 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

when I say rapey, I don't mean because she's underage, I was rather thinking about him holding her down her bed, with a knife at her throat, and forcing her to "sing" for him.

lol I think he probably would be just the opposite, what is not necessarily expected (other than by his super fans of course).  I think there is a soft spot somewhere inside him that he doesn't allow to surface because his survival mechanism is looking tougher than tough but no I don't think it would be like that but hey that's just my opinion ;)

2 minutes ago, Morgana Lannister said:

lol I think he probably would be just the opposite, what is not necessarily expected (other than by his super fans of course).  I think there is a soft spot somewhere inside him that he doesn't allow to surface because his survival mechanism is looking tougher than tough but no I don't think it would be like that but hey that's just my opinion ;)

I completely agree with you. As much as Sandor want people to think he is an ultra violent nihilist (which he is partially), there is a part of him who thrives for justice, honor, and all those "knightly virtues" he forced himself to abandon after what his brother did to him (and after he was rewarded for it).

And of course Sansa calls to that part of himself that he's been burrying deep inside for years.

3 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I completely agree with you. As much as Sandor want people to think he is an ultra violent nihilist (which he is partially), there is a part of him who thrives for justice, honor, and all those "knightly virtues" he forced himself to abandon after what his brother did to him (and after he was rewarded for it).

And of course Sansa calls to that part of himself that he's been burrying deep inside for years.

I still maintain that someone like Brienne, more sporty and less chatty would be a better match for him but I have never doubted that there is a lot of good in him.  Mayhaps I give the impression that I don't like him because I would find him hard work as I am a total chatterbox and I like playfulness but I think for the right person he would be really good.

9 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

I still maintain that someone like Brienne, more sporty and less chatty would be a better match for him but I have never doubted that there is a lot of good in him.  Mayhaps I give the impression that I don't like him because I would find him hard work as I am a total chatterbox and I like playfulness but I think for the right person he would be really good.

I think Sansa, after all she's been through, longs for that kind laconic but appeasing type. People have been chit chatting her a lot when she was in KL, and it was all lies and deceit. I think she wants truthful silence now.

That said, I get the appeal of Brienne Sandor, they are a lot alike. But I'm orthodox that way,  and the chemistry between Jaime and Brienne is just blowing my mind on every reread.

51 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I think Sansa, after all she's been through, longs for that kind laconic but appeasing type. People have been chit chatting her a lot when she was in KL, and it was all lies and deceit. I think she wants truthful silence now.

That said, I get the appeal of Brienne Sandor, they are a lot alike. But I'm orthodox that way,  and the chemistry between Jaime and Brienne is just blowing my mind on every reread.

I could actually agree with this and yes, I think the chemistry between Jaime and Brienne is huge so not saying for a moment that she will end up with Sandor, only that in my mind they would be more compatible.  With Sansa we will have to see... Could be years yet before we get the end of the story lol

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, the tower of albion said:

My tuppence, Jaime is once again a hostage to be involved in a prisoner exchange. Events are occurring relative to each other, Jaime suggests his exchange for Arya (even though he knows she's a fake) or exchange for the survivors of the red wedding?

I've thought about that, but the BwB have spies in Riverrun, and I think they're already setting up a Red Wedding 2.0. They don't need Jaime. 

Jaime might cheat them with fArya, but I doubt it, and Brienne knows the truth and might not go along with it.

Finally, LS wants him dead. She didn't ask for Brienne to bring him back, only to kill him, so she doesn't seem to want anything from him.

On 1/21/2016 at 3:20 AM, HairGrowsBack said:

And the chemistry is there between Sansa and Sandor, too. The same sort of chemistry, in fact. Why, one might think he was telling the same kind of story for these two pairs. :) Plus Sandor is chatty, sparks flew between them, they were just what the other needed.

As for Jaime, I think they may make use of him, tell him to put his money where his mouth is. You want to make up for what you did? Then do something constructive. He knows things, it would be a waste to kill him right away. Could be they were just testing Brienne.

5 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

And the chemistry is there between Sansa and Sandor, too. The same sort of chemistry, in fact. Why, one might think he was telling the same kind of story for these two pairs. :) Plus Sandor is chatty, sparks flew between them, they were just what the other needed.

As for Jaime, I think they may make use of him, tell him to put his money where his mouth is. You want to make up for what you did? Then do something constructive. He knows things, it would be a waste to kill him right away. Could be they were just testing Brienne.

Yeah the two stories mirror each other, they are and will remain the big romances of the series (not counting what Dany and/or Jon might be up to next). Sandor is chatty in a good way, yes, because his words aren't empty like everyone's around Sansa.

Be it Sansa/Sandor or Jaime/Brienne, I admit I'll be very upset if George doesn't finish what he started. You just can't build up these amazing relationships and arc and not follow through. So, no, I don't think Jaime is ready to die just yet, and yes, I think this is a test for Brienne : George wouldn't have given her a POV so late in the story if he didn't want her to undergo some serious changes and dilemmas.

I have recently found myself thinking Sandor somehow ends up in the tournament in the Vale. When there he recognizes Sansa and ends up winning the tourney and crowning Sansa "The Queen of Beauty" or whatever it's called.. In doing so, he will "Out" her identity unless she manages to speak to him and warn him first. But anyway I agree wholeheartedly that Sansa and Sandor end up together.. I just want the next dang book!

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Justin Amey said:

I Know of yall like to think that Cat passed on the kiss of life to Brienne but ask yourself this question; Cat was raised by 7, how would she know how to pass her life to another?

uh ? Brienne didn't die, no need to give her the kiss of life.

I, like many others on this thread it seems, don't believe (or really bloody hope not!) that Jaime and Brienne aren't going to die any time soon. I'm also hoping Pod and Ser Hyle are spared. Pod just because he's had such an unfair life to date, and Ser Hyle because I would very much like to see more about where his story goes with Brienne. 

I just can't see how LSH is going to spare some/all of them. This out of all the plot lines (even Jon's) is what I've been returning to time and again while waiting for TWOW to be finished. Some of my favourite characters in the whole series. 

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've been lurking for a while but this will be my first post. 

I don't really have anything to back this up but I really don't think either Jaime or Brienne will die yet. I've always felt that when Jaime dies it will be a great, noble and heroic deed that costs him his life, but just like his heroic act of killing the mad king to save the city, the rest of westeros (the resteros?) won't know any of the details and he will be hated for it. 

I guess Brienne could die sacrificing herself for Jaime but I still feel like they have something left to do together, a fight of some sort taking on enemies side by side, dying at the hands of Stoneheart just wouldn't feel right for either jaime or Brienne. I can't see either of them dying without the resteros knowing about it, if LS kills them only the bwb would ever know what happened to them. 

On 10 Φεβρουαρίου 2016 at 9:07 PM, HairGrowsBack said:

I've thought about that, but the BwB have spies in Riverrun, and I think they're already setting up a Red Wedding 2.0. They don't need Jaime. 

Jaime might cheat them with fArya, but I doubt it, and Brienne knows the truth and might not go along with it.

Finally, LS wants him dead. She didn't ask for Brienne to bring him back, only to kill him, so she doesn't seem to want anything from him.

Jaime can help BWB enter Riverrun unnoticed.His uncle is the new Lord of Riverrun.LS wants him dead but some in her team (BF if he is there/Brienne/Thoros) can think more logically.

2 hours ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

Jaime can help BWB enter Riverrun unnoticed.His uncle is the new Lord of Riverrun.LS wants him dead but some in her team (BF if he is there/Brienne/Thoros) can think more logically.

It may be so, yes. We can debate of what is likely or not, in the end if George wants it that way he'll come up with something credible, I am sure.

I also don't dislike the idea (nor do I dislike the idea of he and Brienne becoming outlaws of sorts), so long as he doesn't die along the way.

• 5 months later...
On 4/19/2012 at 8:48 PM, Stargareyen said:

Cat already had a bad time allowing trial by combat for Tyrion at Eyrie. She won't repeat the mistake twice. And as such, her new form doesn't care much about justice, but more about revenge. Brienne would not lure Jamie for getting killed. They will explain the circumstances to Stoneheart and continue on their mission to find Sansa. Someone in the Brotherhood might have stumbled on information about Littlefinger and his bastard daughter. Cat will see through it and dispatch Jamie and Brienne to save her.

Well, the Mad Mouse keeps appearing in little scenes where either Brienne or Sansa are involved.  I do wonder if Brienne/George is not tricking us by the name "the Hound."  Of course the first thing that comes to mind logically is Sandor but the name "hound" could be used to refer to anyone (man or beast) who is hunting out someone.  Now, we do know that ser Sadhrich said that much to Brienne and now, coincidentally or not, he turns out at the Tourney in the Vale...  One thing that made me think is that he said something to Brienne in terms of never sharing the bounty with her or others and I get the feeling than more often than not when we here the word "never" being uttered by a character the opposite might well come to pass.  One explanation could be that it is too difficult for the Mad Mouse to spirit Sansa away from the Vale by himself and needs help...

Now, okay, assuming for a moment, very wrong as I may be, that Brienne was not lying to Jaime but speaking in tongues as it were, what can happen next?  We don't know if there is a time schedule Brienne has to bring Jaime or Pod and ser Hyle hang or what but I am sure LSH is not prepared to wait very long.  Now bringing Sansa to her, even if they could possibly find her and either capture her or persuade her to come doesn't sound very likely.  For one thing that could probably lead to the worse case of post-traumatic stress disorder yet suffered by anyone in the series lol  I mean your undead mother, no!  Sansa would not believe them and I don't think Brienne would put her through that either.  So I would have to assume that Brienne will bring her ser Jaime but they will both promise to find Sansa or get her to safety or something.  Now, Oathkeeper has to play a part in this.  It has that name for a reason and I think it is forged from Ice for a reason.  I am not too clear as to what this means but I am certain in means something that we will see playing out in that encounter.

I agree that Jaime cannot die yet.  Now, another thing that keeps bugging me is the oath of fealty that Brienne sworn to Cat and Cat back to her saying something like "I will not ask anything of you that may bring you dishonor."  Although I know the show is not much to go by, that phrase was kept there too when she sworn to Sansa and I think it will be important.  Also although there isn't a huge amount of magic in the series as fantasies go, there is some... what if Brienne is ask to execute Jaime with her sword (attempts at persuading UnCat to go and rescue Sansa having been unsuccessful, say...) and that doesn't work because of, okay this gets complicated and very tin-foily but let's see, because Jaime gave her the sword for a purpose (retrieving Cat's daughters) and it would bring dishonour to Brienne to kill the person who gave it to her for that reason and say for that, although she goes through with it and stabs Jaime it doesn't work or something... and then Thoros or someone decides that the Lord of Light has spoken or something...

I know this whole scenario is very, very far fetch but it just seem to bring together a lot of elements that seem to be floating around and could get them off the hook.  Opinions on this, positive or negative, most welcome.

• 7 months later...
On 5/4/2012 at 1:30 AM, Eugene Toussaint said:

after watching the show and rereading A Clash Of Kings, the vow exchange between Cat & Brienne really stood out to me and it made me think that Brienne might of shouted out something like "your vow" or just "vow" since Cat vows to never ask anything of Brienne that would bring her dishonor and to always have a place at her table for her

I have been absolutely convinced for a long time that this is going to be paramount in Jaime/Brienne/LSH encounter.  Granted, may need the intervention of someone like Thoros, some Deux ex Machina situation and or a duel or all of the above but the fact that even the show made a big point of having the vows in full to me means that this will be relevant in an important way at some point.  The dishonor for me is that she cannot be asked to kill a man who saved her from certain death...

Archived