How would you rate episode 203?  

451 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in "The More You Love," here: http://i.imgur.com/7wbpH.jpg

Not great quality, but you can make the figures out. I can't think of any other reason Joffrey would meet (and have cause to play rough with) Ros the prostitute.

Oooh, they are gonna explore Joffrey's sexual life now? Was it ever established if he died a virgin in the books? It's not necessarily a bad change from the books, but perhaps it would be best to save the creepy sexual stuff for the Bastard of Bolton?

Oooh, they are gonna explore Joffrey's sexual life now? Was it ever established if he died a virgin in the books? It's not necessarily a bad change from the books, but perhaps it would be best to save the creepy sexual stuff for the Bastard of Bolton?

Hes a bit younger in the books so I think the most action he gets is having Sansa stripped by the kingsgaurd. I don't recall if they say he was a virgin but we can assume so.

Also if i had to nitpick "Loras" should have learned to pronounce his own last name properly.

I waited until I'd seen the episode, but knew I'd have a nitpick with this comment, Oberyn. :D I had a suspicion that Finn would be pronouncing Tyrell correctly - and I was right. Tyrell is an English surname with a long, long history, and in this country has always been pronounced 'Tirrel' (think of Maclaren-Tyrell Formula One etc). Whilst I can just about put up with 'Ti-rell' I absolutely cringe to hear 'Tye-rell'.

But at the end of the day - what does it matter? We just love these little nits, but this episode was outstanding for me. And I didn't mind the Renly-Loras scene at all - in fact, not to put too fine a point on it, I found it one of the more convincing 'lust' scenes we've had in the entire two series.

I don't quite know where to start with the praise. I just found the whole episode mesmerising and give it a 9. The one is knocked off for my personal bete-noire - Aidan Gillen, who never manages to convince me in anything, I'm afraid, and although he did well in the Ros scene last week, he was back to his old monotone self tonight.

But nothing could have ruined tonight for me. Brienne's introduction was wonderful and I think Gwen Christie is a superb addition to the show. Natalie Dormer bugged me a wee bit at the tourney, but made up for it in the pavilion. Nothing further needs to be said about Tyrion and his three-way dupe, and that scene was beautifully edited to cut through so many pages of the book. I do sometimes think we should trust the producers more with our beloved books. They have an awful lot of material to adapt and they're doing a terrific job of conveying the vital essence of the storylines. Sansa, at long last is finding some inner strength to compensate for losing Lady. And the final scenes with Yoren/Arya were sublime. Had to reach for a tissue.....

A shout out to Alfie Allen who almost made me feel sorry for Theon Greyjoy in this episode (that takes some doing!). I like the way they're doing the Ironborn story - it was my personal snoozefest in the books, but I'm actually transfixed by what the show has done here.

Some people have had an issue with Yara/Asha. I'd like to stick my neck out here and say she is exactly how I saw her in the book. I really never connected with Asha, and found her an unsympathetic, boastful bitch. I got to a stage where I skimmed her chapters.

But this is what's so wonderful about these books, this show, and this forum here. As readers we all have different perceptions of the characters, and how they have transformed to screen in the hands of the show's writers and producers. That is the biggest compliment I can pay to George's work, because he engages a wide range of readers who all take something personal and special away with them after reading. I think the show is doing the same service.

This is Westeros, not England. The only "correct" pronunciation is the one intended by GRRM who created this imaginary family, and I'm fairly certain I've never heard him pronounce it 'Tirrel' as show Loras does. Ti-rell or Tye-rell is almost certainly the way to go.

Edited by salt

Agree with much that's been said already I rated the episode a solid 8, loved the Theon, Balon, Yara scene with Theon bringing up the fact that his father lost his rebellion against Robert, which led to his being taken hostage, and Theon recieving a wicked backhand for this comment.

I also loved how they incorporated Arya's list, and the story which Yoren gave which gave her the idea. The only character that I am not at all a fan of the changes they made is with Shae, the aggressive manner in which she speaks to Tyrion, and also the attitude which she gave Sansa, makes no sense at all given her position. I have to believe there going to have a major twist with her character to explain this away IMHO.

The scene with Yoren and Arya was talmost tender. I liked how they sped up their getting caught and captured, and Lommy's death and being named as the corpse of Gendry worked for me.

I don't know, I really liked the Arya story after Yoren dies but before they get captured... I think it helped portray some of her growth and leadership, as well as add to the theme her plotline has of escape and being recaptured... as one of my favorite plotlines I'd rather they not tinker with it if they can help it :(

That is the biggest compliment I can pay to George's work, because he engages a wide range of readers who all take something personal and special away with them after reading. I think the show is doing the same service.

The book engages a wide variety of readers while the show enrages a wide variety of readers :rofl:

I gave it a 10, I think its the best episode thus far this season. I loved Brienne and thought the more worldly Margaery was great. Her character in the HBO series makes her actions in the books more believeable.

The girl who plays Sansa (can't remember her name) is really beautiful and is a perfect Sansa. I don't like Shae but maybe its because I know what she will do to Tyrion down the road. I really do not like that character. The Theon scenes were great but I am surprised they are giving him this much airtime considering the fact that he disappears for a number of books...how will they explain that away next season when there is no Theon? And Asha is not how I picture her, she is a bitch instead of a likable woman warrior.

Where are Meera and Jojen? I miss them, they should be around by now.....

Edited by WinterWarrior

I wasn't that keen on this episode in fact I think it was the worst of the 2 series - I gave it a 7. However so many people have given it a 10 I'm going to watch it again. I really don't like Shae. Brienne was good but I still think Lucy Lawless should have been cast in this role.

Tyrion's scenes were excellent as always but I also liked Margery. The way Tyrion's deception wa portrayed wa sheer excellence. For me the best acting was from Michelle Fairey (Catelyn).

It seems they placed an awful lot from the book into this one epsiode which is a a good thing as it makes it reasonably fast paced. You have to admit to some extent these books are hard to follow and the way it has been adapted to tv hass hed a new light on the story for me. Bernoff & Weiss have done a fantastic job.

Edited by rumple9

Straight-up goodness, with only minor nitpicks. This episode earned an eight. Finally, into things with some momentum!

Hat tip to Margaery Tyrell, who may not attract the attention of the King, but she sure had me looking!

Brienne is perfection itself. She looks like an ogre. Amazing.

In fact, I'd say it was the ladies who stole the whole show!

One beef--Hot Pie actually fought in the book :( But they did a good job of telescoping Lommy's demise. I had hoped they'd keep that in there, and they sent him up with justice while plausibly keeping Gendry alive.

I give it a 6.

The scene at Craster felt like a waste of time.

I thought all the scenes with Renly were a bit off. Especially Loras acting like a whiny bitch when Cat arrived. Where the hell did that come from? I never pictured Loras like that.

Shae was just really annoying, I can't believe we'll have to suffer more epsiodes of that.

I still don't like Asha. Sorry.

Why was Shagga replaced by some random bearded guy with an axe?

The scene with Arya, Gendry and Yoren felt so rushed. Is it me or the Lannister soldiers said they came from King's landing to bring back Gendry and then at the end they are suddenly heading for Harrenhal? I was looking forward the exchange between Yoren and the Lannisters, too bad they completely cut that out.

Edited by Leto Atreides

The scene with Arya, Gendry and Yoren felt so rushed. Is it me or the Lannister soldiers said they came from King's landing to bring back Gendry and then at the end they are suddenly heading for Harrenhal? I was looking forward the exchange between Yoren and the Lannisters, too bad they completely cut that out.

No, they were Tywin's soldiers, who had been asked by the Queen to find Gendry, presumably because he was out of reach from the City Watch. I thought they had just planned to kill Gendry on the spot (like they did with the other bastards), and then move on to Harrenhell. No need to bring him all the way to King's Landing.

It's in the books.Sorry bud.

It's in the books.Sorry bud.

The sadistic part, certainly, but we never see how his sexual life would play out (although I'm guessing he wouldn't make it to a list of "top 100 lovers of all time").

I wanna point out that I'm not complaining at the change, they could pull it off very well (and probably will, knowing Jack Gleeson's talents), just saying that it is indeed a derivation from the novels.

Edited by The Monkey

After great first season, first two episodes of season two were rather poor but this one really rejuvenated the series. Awesome episode with many great scenes: Yoren, Theon/Balon confrontation, Theon's letter and "baptism", Tyrion's scheming, Margaery/Renly. Deviations from the books this time were actually made well, no silly Ros stuff. Only major issue I have is Shea character which is written and acted horribly here.

Hopefully rest of the series will be more like this episode and not on the level of the first two.

I agree with the many above that this third episode is the best so far. It had a different director than the first two episodes and that seemed to make a big difference. The Tyrion traitor triptych--- amazingly well crafted. Also, the Yoren/Arya "how do you sleep?" scene was beautifully lit.

Hope we get to enjoy more of this director's work on the show.