Anyone just started reading AGoT?

justashadow

Hi! Hope you're enjoying the book :)

Yes, I am actually...Even though I watched the first season without having read the book, it's like a fresh start for me to get understand the storylines better. I'm finding the chapters short but lots of content..i'm constantly rereading parts to understand what's going on to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Picked it up after watching first season too... Did anyone else have a hard time reading the Prologue? As someone who has never really been interested in the fantasy genre or a reader of fantasy/scifi, I was almost going to stop reading, even after the first couple of chapters.

Then I got to Eddard's chapter, Jon's, Tyrion, and the rest is history.

So I am the point where Catelyn and Ned have met up in KL. I think Ned realizes that he has made a mistake becoming the Hand...he truly feels uncomfortable.

I had to reread Bran's chapter where he is dreaming, it was confusing at first for me and still kinda is.

I find the secondary characters interesting especially Varys and Littlefinger. I can see right through his greed but Varys....it's so hard to tell. I can see how they weave their "webs" so to say.

Welcome! You're in for an incredible journey. Some of the information will become clearer as you read more. Other things we're still waiting to understand even after book 5. LOL

Just a warning, spoilers are EVERYWHERE for these books. Especially now with the series beginning again. I recommend staying to the forum of whatever book you're reading at the time here and don't look anywhere else. Also, don't look at comments on YouTube, don't go to IMDB and read the forums there (DEFINITELY DON'T DO THIS!!!), and just be careful in general of looking online about the books. I managed to stay unspoiled for my entire first read and it was such a great experience.

Welcome! You're in for an incredible journey. Some of the information will become clearer as you read more. Other things we're still waiting to understand even after book 5. LOL

Just a warning, spoilers are EVERYWHERE for these books. Especially now with the series beginning again. I recommend staying to the forum of whatever book you're reading at the time here and don't look anywhere else. Also, don't look at comments on YouTube, don't go to IMDB and read the forums there (DEFINITELY DON'T DO THIS!!!), and just be careful in general of looking online about the books. I managed to stay unspoiled for my entire first read and it was such a great experience.

Thanks, I have noticed that the spoilers are everywhere!!! I'm keeping to here and the episode no spoilers just because I don't want to know as tempting as it might be.

Hello All!

I have just begun reading the book and would love to join. Although to be honest I did attempt to read GoT a few years ago but could not get past the first Bran chapter. Guess I just wasn't in the right place then, however now I am enjoying it very much.

I found the prologue intriguing, especially the way the principal characters were written. It felt real, the class difference was so vivid, and the complete disdain that the officer had for the other men's unease and fear made me feel that these men were facing something they were completely unprepared for. Then it happened. Loved it.

Hello All!

I have just begun reading the book and would love to join. Although to be honest I did attempt to read GoT a few years ago but could not get past the first Bran chapter. Guess I just wasn't in the right place then, however now I am enjoying it very much.

I found the prologue intriguing, especially the way the principal characters were written. It felt real, the class difference was so vivid, and the complete disdain that the officer had for the other men's unease and fear made me feel that these men were facing something they were completely unprepared for. Then it happened. Loved it.

Welcome!!!

I found myself rereading the prologue a couple of times because it happens so fast. It's quite an opening to the book and it just sets the stage of what is to come.

Can't wait to discuss more!!

I really like how Ned sees his daughters...he has such love for them. I think he sees the fighter spirit in Arya and letting her train instead of being at court. He is also showing a very neutral, honourable side at Kings Landing even though he doesn't like it there...he is trying to do the right thing.

Also, I liked the intro of Sam Tarly and how he got to the Wall...Jon is really coming into his own there..he is maturing which i think will add depth to his character.

I still think Littlefinger is not to be trusted..and things seem to be picking up in Kings Landing..

Dany's chapter - I think she finds refuge with Drogo somehow as she can get away from her brother..hope to catch another chapter soon.

Thoughts???

Littlefinger is perhaps the most interesting character in the entire saga. Keep a close eye on him. He's fun.

:)

His conversation with Ned was certainly interesting however, knowing his history with the Tullys, I wonder....there has to be a certain amount of jealously.

Ok so I have finished the tourney chapters and Catelyn finding Tyrion.

Varys had a interesting chat with Ned....he was disguised too...hmmm...he seems to be the one to trust instead of Littlefinger.

Read about the Hound and the Mountain...I feel for Sandor...his history with his brother and I bet he can't stand being called the "dog" by Joffrey.

I think trying to remember who all these bannerman are and their names and which houses they serve is a job in itself.

Picked it up after watching first season too... Did anyone else have a hard time reading the Prologue? As someone who has never really been interested in the fantasy genre or a reader of fantasy/scifi, I was almost going to stop reading, even after the first couple of chapters.

Then I got to Eddard's chapter, Jon's, Tyrion, and the rest is history.

Somehow I agree, I don't like fantasy and magic myself (in books and movies, exceptions: HP and LoTR, etc) but I got so invested in the story that I got used to it and made myself to like it.

I started reading Game of Thrones after finishing season 1 recently. I loved the Prologue but I like fantasy/magic. I've even taken to saying Ser Waymar's line of "Dance with me then" to my co-workers!

And I'm a fan of Tyrion in book and tv show forms. He's the only Lannister I could love.

Ok..so I'm at the part where Cat has made it the Eeyrie.....I think she completely overprotective of Robert and probally took him away from Kings Landing. She has terrible hate for the Lannisters and really makes Cat feel unwelcome. I think those years made her very resentful. I think her original letter to Cat was the beginning of some plot.

Ned seems to be happy to be heading home...he seems so disallusioned with the Seven Kingdoms...I guess he thought it would be different. And he knows he can't trust anyone.

I loved Arya chapter where she ends up in the tunnels and overhearing Varys and Littlefinger although she doesn't know who they are.

And the plot thickens...

Wow..the read is going so fast now.....

Ok so what's with Little Robert? Is he just a mommy's boy or what? There was questions of whether he was going to Castlery Rock or Dragonstone? I would think that Stannis would be a better to teach him than the Lannisters. I'm sure that Jon Arryn would have preferred that. Definitely needs to get away from Lysa...I think Cat lost some faith in her sister.

Have to say that Tyrion's battle at the Eyrie was a fanstatic scene....admist all the angst, he maintains his wit. I'm surprised that he hasn't put it together that he is being blamed for everything that happened with the Starks.....does he ever realize this.

Jon is growing up so fast..he is making a good leader for the Wall..I can see why Ned sent him there. And even Rob for saving Bran from the wildings.

The heat is on in Kings Landing....I love the fact Ned defended his wife for taking Tyrion against Jaime Lannister...but just as he about to leave the South...he has to stay on because King Robert orders him. It's sad to see how such a friendship has survived but the people have changed. So much background info from the past especially Ned's take on Lynna.

Poor Viserys, I don't think he realizes it's going to be a long wait for him until he has a chance of getting an army together. He reminds me of Joffrey, both arrogant and viciously tempered. Perhaps they are related.

and now back to the book....

Archived