Anyone just started reading AGoT?

justashadow

Well, I couldn't stop reading and finished the book…

See you in the next forum then...

Tyrion…off to Kings Landing to watch over Cersei…. Tywin knows that Joffrey isn't ruling wisely (being nice about this) and Cersei is loosing control of him. He is utterly displeased about Ned's death. He knows that Tyrion can perhaps regain authority there Poor Tyrion, he knew his father favoured Jaime. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't find his father's acceptance. With Jaimie captured, he may have a chance.

Sansa's world is falling apart around her and she has no control now. She'd been so naive and "in love" and now she is learning her lesson, not to trust anyone or believe in love. Then being manipulated by the Queen. Joffrey is cruel and no matter what she does, she is going to the learn hard way as she has learnt through Meryn Trant.

Kings Landing will be an interesting place in the next book. How will it be influenced by the war between Lannister and starck. My guess is that Lannister will make this the whole kingdom against the upstarts in the North.

If I remember right, it was the old Lannister, tywin, that was appointed hand of the King. What title is Tyrion supposed to have?

Wonder how Sansa will cope with all this.

See you in the next forum then...

Kings Landing will be an interesting place in the next book. How will it be influenced by the war between Lannister and starck. My guess is that Lannister will make this the whole kingdom against the upstarts in the North.

If I remember right, it was the old Lannister, tywin, that was appointed hand of the King. What title is Tyrion supposed to have?

Wonder how Sansa will cope with all this.

Glom, certainly willing to discuss this book still. Let me know when you get to the next forum.

My prediction is that the Lannister rule will not be nice as we saw with Joffrey at the end the of book. I think there are going to be interesting twists. There was definite foreshadowing of Reny's claim to the throne after Robert died so and Robb Stark.....going with that....upheaval, hence the name of the next book.

Tywin sent Tyrion to act as the "Hand" because he couldn't be there himself as was at war.

Sansa will still be manipulated by Joffrey,his men and the queen. I hope she finds some strength and courage to cope.

• 5 weeks later...

@ special agent punk, yes! I had difficulty getting through the prologue. I was a bit bored by it and wasn't crazy about all the details regarding the lordling's wardrobe, etc. I was actually disappointed but I forged ahead and am so glad that I did:)

I started reading a little over 2 weeks ago. I'm pacing myself and am currently on page ~600. I'm loving the book so far, but I already watched the first two seasons of the show.

I heard the second season of the show and the 2nd book are very different, so I guess I'll see what happens soon enough.

Almost finished the book and I got way too excited by the whole story that I had to buy the rest of the books too. As it's a very detailed story with lot of characters I'm reading it in Hungarian. (It's thankfuly not like The Lord of the rings or Harry Potter where even the names got translated!) and of course I'm a huge fan of the HBO series!

I'm trying not to read the spolers (IT'S SO HARD TO RESIST!)

I'm planning to start the second book in a few days.

-----Zips up flame suit to the top-----

When I first saw the promo's for season 1, I thought. "Wow, who wants to sit and watch anything about dragons and knights?" I mantained this ignorance, until one day before season 2 started, and I was watching Tv, and The first episode came on, first of an all day marathon. I reached for the remote, but couldn't find it. "Aw crap." Was the first thing that popped into my head. I decided fate was wanting me to watch this show, so I gave it a chance. I was almost immediately enthralled, and stayed awake until 5:00 am to watch them all.

I was utterly blown away. I have been obsessed ever since.

I am on my first read through, and Martin is an absolute master. Every character is completely true to themselves, and fully formed. No one feels like a "character", like they do in many books, these are real people, and we are peering into their world for a small window of time.

My favorite part is that no one is truely bad, with maybe exception of Joffrey. Every person acts only as a result of what has happened to them in the past, wether it be war, treason, rape, or just being unloved. The emotional anguish that all of the characters go through over the course of the book is really quite amazing.

They are all the sum of their fortunes/misfortunes.

My favorite story lines are Jon, Arya, Tyrion, and Denaerys.

I can tell I am a die hard fan for life now. I can't wait to get onto Clash of Kings.

I just started reading the first book Game of Thrones for about a half a week so far. Im too busy reading Star Wars New Jedi Order Destiny's Way right now :P.

SPOILERS in case

It's a little gross where that dragon girl's brother is kind of sexually molesting her when he's trying to get her hooked up with that one warrior dude. touching her boobs and trying to sex her up etc. What the hell was the author thinking?

Been a fantasy fan for 23 years now and although I think I may have come accross GRRM once or twice I never picked him up.

I started watching GOT when it came out here a few months ago (we tend to be way behind in everything down here in NZ) but never really got into it, but when the mother inlaw bought the first season on DVD I decided to give it another go and became seriously hooked. I honnestly cannot think of any TV show I've ever seen that comes close.

Am only a few chapters into GOT at the moment but am enjoying it a lot.

Decided to join here because this series seems so complex that I thought I may need a few pointers along the way.

Cheers guys.

Yeah well honestly who does that to their own sister even if its a fantasy adventure book series? You never see perveted incesty stuff like that in the Wheel of Time books. Slapping her small boobs around just so he can introduce her to that one warrior fella to continue the family line or whatever.

That's what makes this series so compelling. Other fantasy series like Lord of the Rings have "clean" war, without getting into the messy details of blood spurting from wounds and the general grittiness of the fighting. And the behavior of the common soldiers in ASOIAF is not what you would see in Tolkien's or Jordan's writings. The same is true in Martin's portrayals of relationships. Sure it's shocking to read detailed descriptions of the sex scenes in this series, but that's just how Martin is able to draw us into his world.

Well Viserys and Danaerys belong to a royal family that historically married brother to sister to maintain a "pure" bloodline. Viserys views Danaerys as his bride to be who he reluctantly will wed to Drogo in order to return to his throne. In other words, being King again is more important than getting to marry his sister.

Much of the world that GRRM has created views incest as an abomination, but some find it acceptable. Not unlike our own world.

Archived