What do you Collect?

Rogue Knight

How did you find these?

Given that I'm on my phone I can't see we'll, but is the Bolton ring meant to be vertebrae because it looks rather phallic as well.

I stumbled on it on FB - an ASoIaF group shared the photo, without a source, so I don't know who makes them... I think the Bolton one is vertebrae...

I currently have all seven paperbacks; unfortunately, I started off with the typo-ridden reprint of the first book that came out after the series began. I don't have the Dunk and Egg collection yet, because it's currently not cheap in dollars to order from Amazon and is still to come out in the UK. I also have a House Greyjoy sigil T-shirt, which I believe I rock. I can't find my camera at present, but I was thinking of putting a thread up sometime for people to show themselves off in their regalia, or maybe it can be done here.

I've seen some self-designed Bolton T-shirts on the 'Net which I can't imagine anyone wearing, but a bunch look incredibly cool.

Anyone have any experience with those Brodart book covers? Looking to get some for my ASoIaF books. The books are all 9.5" tall, so I'm guessing I should go with the 10" ones just to be safe? Are they pretty easy to use?

I'd been planning to buy the book of maps, but it's ridiculously expensive for just a bit more than you get in the books.

Iain I do believe the map book is actually quite amazing. It is most definitely not ridiculously expensive its actually quite a steal for what you actually get. It is not so much a book as a collection of twelve full poster size maps. It only costs $25 and you are basically getting 12 posters. They all look fantastic and some are quite interesting. Amazon has the book for $25

I'll wait till it goes down in price. I'm a bit of a nerd for constantly looking up and feeling like I have to memorise locations. Doing this has even put me steps ahead at times with plot events going on. My local bookstore sells the thing for about 30 odd pounds.

I would be very interested to hear people talk about why they choose the particular things to collect. I have been making coins for George under license since 2003. It's confusing to me why it is that the Faceless Man coin has seemingly gone viral, and yet the other coins I've done for the series... some of them very nice indeed, as well as very reasonably priced... seem to languish.

I recognize that I may have a different view of things. Even as a child I was intensely interested in coins and I always tried to see detail in coins shown in films. And so for me... the coins of a realm are the thing that forms the most basic tactile experience that creates a sense of place. And it was always the sense of place that intrigued me about coins. I don't rate as a "coin collector" in the usual way. I prefer worn and weathered coins over fresh new-looking ones, and enjoy imagining the story that the coin could tell. And so ten years ago, when I started making Westerosi coins for George, it was with the goal in mind of creating the immersive sense-of-place. It's easy to come up with ideas... not so easy to turn them into actual pieces of metal. But with a dozen things on the list now, I think we've done pretty well and the coins have a very high 'awesomeness' factor.

But I realize that not everybody's brain is wired the same as mine. I find it hard to understand why more fans are not buying the non Faceless-Man coins...

Is it the numbers? Do I make too many of each?... or too many different?

Is it the designs? Do you imagine the coins different?

Is it the size? Are they too small to suit modern tastes?

Is it the degree of tie-in of a coin to specific book/film people and events?

...so that there's little interest in coins of old long-dead kings?

Is it because I still haven't made a Dragon coin yet?

Is it the cost? Are they too expensive? Or... too cheap to seem like they could have value?

Is it because we missed the "h" in "morghulis" there for a while?

Is it because Instead of having "limited editions" I keep the same coin going, but keep track of the die types?

... that is information coin collectors love. But perhaps popular-culture theme collectors don't care?

There's another thread in this forum:

http://asoiaf.wester...-thrones-coins/

where I keep a running mintage list on the first page, and I announce new coins.

Seriously though, I would appreciate any feedback.

But I realize that not everybody's brain is wired the same as mine. I find it hard to understand why more fans are not buying the non Faceless-Man coins...

Is it the numbers? Do I make too many of each?... or too many different?

Is it the designs? Do you imagine the coins different?

Is it the size? Are they too small to suit modern tastes?

Is it the degree of tie-in of a coin to specific book/film people and events?

...so that there's little interest in coins of old long-dead kings?

Is it because I still haven't made a Dragon coin yet?

Is it the cost? Are they too expensive? Or... too cheap to seem like they could have value?

Is it because we missed the "h" in "morghulis" there for a while?

Is it because Instead of having "limited editions" I keep the same coin going, but keep track of the die types?

... that is information coin collectors love. But perhaps popular-culture theme collectors don't care?

Personally I have bought two of your coins, the faceless man coin and the silver stag. I would imagine those may be your best selling two. First the faceless man coin is clearly anyones first choice as it is quite a famous item in the books and not really used for purchasing as normal coins. Also everyone loves Arya. The silver stag is just mentioned so often that I chose that as the second coin. If the golden dragon had been available I would definitely have gone for that. That may be the most talked about coin I think you should create one of real gold for people like me to buy and maybe some plated for the general buyers. That would be a favorite. The rest of the coins are just not mentioned that often

Thanks for the comments Reek, and also for your purchases. So it's mostly to do with what is specifically mentioned in the books? I guess what I am trying to do is to create the mix of coinage that would exist in the pockets and purses of ordinary folk in the story. A description of the specific coins someone would carry in this place or that place is not really part of the story, but they have to exist in support of the tale.

Yes dragons are on the drawing boards! George has decided on quite a large coin though... a full 1/2 troy ounce of gold. So there will also be brass ones. No schedule for when those might be available yet... still in the sketching phase.

I have..

Harcover Books 1-5

Barnes and Noble GoT Book 1 special edition (two copies, one still sealed) 1st edition

All the individual GoT comics - up to 12 so far, 13 comes out 2/13

The GoT graphic novel Vol 1. (comics 1-6 i believe)

Two copies of The Hedge Knight graphic novel (softcover) - both found in comic shops for real cheap (don't use Amazon for these)

One copy of The Sworn Sword graphic novel (found as well in comci shop for cheap)

Legends vol 1 (hardcover 1st edition)

Warriors Vol 1 (softcover 1st edition)

The Hedge Knight individual comic 1-3 (missing 4-6)

The Sworn Sword individual comic #2,#4,#6 (missing 1,3,5)

Two copies of the maps of ASOIAF (one sealed)

All 5 audio books by Roy Dotrice

GoT offcial cookbook

Game of Thrones official card game 2nd edition

Inside HBOs A Game of Thrones

GoT Bluray special editon (one with dragon egg)

GoT Bluray (just for watching)

...and pretty much anything I can get my hands on without paying a crazy amount of cash :)

Suppose I should update:

• A Song of Ice and Fire paperback boxset, books 1-4
  • ADwD UK first edition hardcover
  • ASoS Harper Collins UK slipcase
  • AGoT Barnes and Noble deluxe edition (just bought)
  • Dreamsongs 1 and 2
  • HBO Direwolf bookends
  • Season 1 GoT blu-ray collector's edition with dragon egg
  • Lands of Ice and Fire
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones
  • Stark, Targaryen and Westeros HBO posters (Soon to receive a Tyrion one)
  • Dragon egg necklace
  • FM coin
  • Targaryen and Lannister distressed t-shirts from HBO
  • Greyjoy hoodie, Lannister, Night's Watch and The Hound t-shirts from RedBubble
  • Dany and the Hound figurines (soon to receive Tyrion I believe - a suspicious looking box has arrived from my boyfriend :laugh: )
  • Dany and Arya phonecases
  • Game of Thrones Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords
  • Beyond The Wall

Uhh. I think that's it. For now :lol:

The 5 books, the first one in frensh en the last two in english when the translators failed to follow the rythm.

Plus the hand of the king pin, targ shield keychain, and the tshirt with ned's quote "the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"which is just awesome

I'm thinking on getting the 2002 AGoT hardcover reissue with the Jon Snow/Ghost painting on the cover. Anyone know what would be a good price? As far as I know they aren't too rare, but they are OOP. Surprisingly they are hard to come by on eBay. There is one up now with a starting bid of $75, but it includes a signed bookplate. I already have the US 1st edition of AGoT with the silver foil cover, but I just think the Jon Snow cover looks pretty sweet, plus it matches ACoK and ASoS. Any thoughts?

I would try abebooks but I read a bunch of reviews about the site and most of them were negative (damaged items, extremely slow shipping, etc.), so I'd rather not chance it.

• 2 weeks later...

All books including first three dunk and egg in legends legends2 and warriors.

Stark coffee mug only used for my Irish Coffee's.

Robert Baratheon's Warhammer , which is my most prized possession.

NightsWatch Dagger set.

The game for xbox 360.

Just bought my girlfriend the cookbook( A Feast Of Ice and Fire? ? ) for her birthday, probly more of a present for me though HAR!!!

I'll probly get the hound's helm and that catspaw blade does look beautiful. Robb Starks sword doesn't do much for me at the moment.

All books including first three dunk and egg in legends legends2 and warriors.

Nice collection, I'd love to have Robert's war hammer. I'm in the process of acquiring the books containing the Dunk & Egg stories, just picked up a 1st edition 'Warriors' pretty much in mint condition for $1.99 off eBay. Hopefully I can get the rest that cheap. :D

Creating this list has made me realize that I have a larger collection than I realized, and yet I still want more:

- The first four books MMPB

- ADwD hardcover

- All the eBooks

- GRRM Signed 'Captain of the Guard' chapbook.

- Legends (for The Hedge Knight)

- Faceless Man Coin

- Eddard Stark silver half-stag

- 2 calendars

- Art Book vol. 1

- Game of Thrones comics, all the ones that have been released so far

- Game of Thrones graphic novel vol. 1

- Lands of Ice and Fire book

- Westeros Map poster

- GoT Season 1 Blu-Ray (Season 2 will be delivered tomorrow)

That's all that I can think of. I really want to get some clothing, a house banner (probably an unofficial one because I HATE the HBO ones), maybe a sword or two, some more coins from ShirePost (including another Faceless Man one that is drilled that I can put on a leather necklace and wear), the board games (even though they'd just be for decoration because no one i know is nerdy enough to play with me), I really want the graphic novels for the Dunk and Egg stories too but they're ridiculously over priced.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated 10/31/14

Got a few new items recently. This is my current ASoIaF collection:

- A Game of Thrones (1996 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print, silver foil cover)
- A Game of Thrones (2002 hardcover, 1st print, Jon Snow cover)
- A Clash of Kings (1999 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)
- A Storm of Swords (2000 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)
- A Feast for Crows (2005 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)
- (2) A Dance with Dragons (2011 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)

- The World of Ice and Fire (1st edition/1st print)

- Books 1-5 in mass market paperback editions

- Legends (1998 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)
- Legends II (2003 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)
- Warriors (2010 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)

- Dangerous Women (2013 hardcover, 1st edition/1st print)

- The Hedge Knight (hardcover, graphic novel)
- The Hedge knight II - The Sworn Sword (hardcover, graphic novel)
- A Game of Thrones - The Graphic Novel Volume 1 (1st print)
- A Game of Thrones - The Graphic Novel Volume 2 (1st print)

- A Game of Thrones - The Graphic Novel Volume 3 (1st print)

- Game of Thrones season 1 blu-ray
- Game of Thrones season 2 blu-ray

- Game of Thrones season 3 blu-ray

- GoT 'Take the Black Stout' empty bottle

- GoT 'Fire and Blood' empty bottle (all 3 versions)

- GoT 'Valar Morghulis' empty bottle

Now I just need to go to some GRRM appearances and get some of those signed!

Archived