What do you Collect?

Rogue Knight

Yes, sadly.

There was a gent that had 10 of the Voyager FFC slipcase editions - I think for about $140 or so. A reasonable amount, at least.

I emailed him asking if number (*) was available, as I had the MM GoT and CoK (and probably a few others with that number) by then and he responded with a picture that showed he had my number, but said that it was $250 for that number. But the other 9 were still on the website at the first price.

At first I told him that I didn't care enough to pay almost double for just the number, and he said some BS about his wife liked that number.... Anyhow, about 6 months later, he emailed me and said he would take $200, and I agreed. I was still annoyed, but a few extra bucks for the matching number was ok, and by then I had already noticed the trend of GRRM books going up in value, so bought it. Anyhow, ever since I have tried to avoid telling people my number. Maybe I am paranoid, but I don't want some jerk emailing me they have Songs the Dead Men Sing with my number and want $500 for a $250 book just because it has my number. I would want them to put on ebay, and I can win it there.

Anyhow, now that I have it, it makes my main set even more special as there cant be too many people that were able to snag the same number from Voyager as their MM sets...

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Cheers!

i don't have a cover. I have several. but I might be proudest of Saga Swamp Thing 21 "anatomy lesson" (that was about the time the world realized Alan Moore was something special), but I digress from ASOIAF.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a235/becca3969/ASOIAF_GRRM%20Collection/2291E00B-F19A-48E4-8E62-912F5A913022.jpg

AGoT
US Proof/ARC with DJ - Signed
US 1st printing HC - Signed

US 1st printing HC (x2) - no dust jackets
US reissue 1st printing HC w/ Jon Snow DJ - Signed
Barnes & Noble slipcased edition - Signed

UK 1st printing HC
UK Deluxe edition - 1st print
UK Collectible edition
UK Reissue with white dust jacket
US 1st State Unissued Trade Dust Jacket signed by Stephen Youll & GRRM (1 of 7)

ACoK
US 1st printing HC, DJ signed by Stephen Youll - Signed
UK 1st printing HC - Signed
Meisha Merlin limited edition - PC copy

US Proof/ARC - Signed

Subterranean Press Limited edition #320

ASoS
US Proof/ARC - Signed
US 1st Printing HC - Signed
UK 1st printing HC - Signed
Subterranean Press Limited edition #53

AFfC
US 1st printing HC signed by GRRM w/ non published (proof) dust jacket, signed by Stephen Youll

US 1st printing HC w/ published dust jacket
The Captain of the Guards excerpt - signed
UK 1st printing HC - signed
UK Limited slipcased edition

SP Tom Canty Sketches Chapbook - GRRM signed

US ARC

ADwD
US 1st printing HC signed by GRRM
UK 1st edition/1st printing HC

Other Books:

Rogues - US 1st - signed by Patrick Rothfuss & Joe Abercrombie

The Wit & Wisdom of Tyrion Lannister - US 1st - Signed

Pop-Up Guide To Westeros
The Lands of Ice and Fire
GRRM: A Rretrospective - Subterranean Press signed 1st
The Ice Dragon - signed 1st HC
Fevre Dream - US 1st HC
Fevre Dream - Subterranean Press Limited edition
Dying of the Light - Subterranean Press Limited edition #320
Tuf Voyaging - Meisha Merlin Limited edition
Warriors - US HC 1st - Signed by GRRM, Gardner Dozois, Diana Gabaldon
The Armageddon Rag 1st US edition/1st print HC

The Armageddon Rag - Poseidon Press Limited Edition
Dreamsongs Vol.1 & 2 US 1st print HC

Windhaven 1981 ARC - yellow

Windhaven 2001 ARC - blue

Windhaven US signed 1st - Bantam edition
Starlady/Fast Friend - Subterranean Press Signed/Limited edition

Shadow Twin - Subterranean Press S/L
Quartet - Limited signed by GRRM & Charles Vess

Songs of the Dying Earth 1st US edition - Signed by GRRM & Gardner Dozois

Old Mars - Signed by GRRM, Gardner Dozois & Howard Waldrop

The Skin Trade (Capclave limited trade edition) - Signed

The Skin Trade (Capclave limited signed/numbered edition #320)

Down These Strange Streets - Signed by GRRM, Gardner Dozois & Charlaine Harris

AGoT #1-6 Comics signed by GRRM and Daniel Abraham
AGoT #7-10 Comics signed by GRRM and Daniel Abraham

AGoT #11 Comic signed by Daniel Abraham
Mile High Comics AGoT limited Comic Con edition #15
The Hedge Knight 1st Graphic Novel - 2003 softcover

Game of Thrones Graphic Novel Vol 2 - Signed

Fevre Dream Graphic Novel - Signed

Deeper Than Swords - Texas A&M University Publication

A Song for Lya - 1st print US paperback

Dangerous Women - US 1st signed by Diana Gabaldon & GRRM

Portraits of His Children - Dark Harvest Lettered Edition

Multiple signed bookplates for my books sent to me from GRRM

TV Series:
Season 1 DVD box set with Targaryen dragon cover

Season 2 DVD box set

Season 3 BluRay Amazon exclusive set

Teefury T-shirts:

Stark brew, Baratheon brew, Ned Stark, Jon Snow, The Wall, Send A Raven, Win or Die, A Lannister Always Spays His Pets, Mother of Dragons, Ghost White Ale, Who Are You? (Rhaegal Viserion & Toothless/Drogon), Arya's List, John Snow and Ghost (warg), A Song of Ice, A Song of Fire, Winter Is Coming Forecast, Raven/Ghost/Lonclaw, Toothless Targaryen

Valyrian Steel:

Needle #1527

Longclaw (TV version)

Funko Pop Figurines:

Daenerys Targaryen, Tyrion Lannister, Jamie Lannister, White Walker, Khal Drogo, Arya Stark, Jon Snow, The Hound, Renly Baratheon, Cersei Lannister, Battle Armor Tyrion, Rob Stark, Headless Ned Stark, Regular Ned Stark, Beyond The Wall Jon Snow, Bloody Brienne, Viserion, Hodor, Tywin Lannister, Ghost, Ygritte, Joffrey Baratheon, Drogon, Wedding Dress Daenerys, Rhaegal, Grey Wind, SDCC Flocked Ghost

Funko Legacy Action Figures:

Daenerys Targaryen, Jon Snow, The Hound, Ned Stark, White Walker, Tyrion Lannister, SDCC GID White Walker

Funko Mini Figures:

SDCC In Memoriam set

Ommegang Beer:

3x Fire and Blood ale with Drogon label & 1x Viserion label, 2x Take the Black Stout

Sweet lord! becca69 seems to be cleaning up! and there is me, smitten with a signed dreamsongs audiobook! I also came into possession of a leatherman (swiss army knife type thing), it was a gift that HBO give to staff helping on set, they are pretty costly for such a simple multi-tool, but because HBO have printed 'Game of Thrones season V' on it, I shall be holding on to it!

Sweet lord! becca69 seems to be cleaning up! and there is me, smitten with a signed dreamsongs audiobook! I also came into possession of a leatherman (swiss army knife type thing), it was a gift that HBO give to staff helping on set, they are pretty costly for such a simple multi-tool, but because HBO have printed 'Game of Thrones season V' on it, I shall be holding on to it!

That sounds cool.

Did you see Pat's collection, because his is insane! (Patty113)

Those are some impressive collections Pat and Becca! Pat's list of original art is especially impressive. But... I don't see any of the GRRM coins on those lists. We've been making these under license for George since 2003, back when there were only two books in the ASOIAF series, and HBO was not even a gleam in the eye. We currently have 32 different coins on the list... stags, stars, pennies, dragons, hands and more, including the Iron Coin of the Faceless Man. These are the ones George carries on his travels and gifts to cast and crew on the sets, and as tips to bellhops etc. They're available through numerous retail channels aside from our own online store (though if you order through us and mention your forum name we'll send you something extra!)

I don't want to appear self-serving here... because it's true that I would love to sell you some coinage. But... as replete as those collections are, I don't see how any collection could possibly be considered comprehensive without at least a sampling of the coinage. What we're doing here for George is unique in all of fandom. There is nothing else as immersive or authentic anywhere, for any other author, film, or theme! The coins are struck under many tons pressure on hand-carved steel dies, some of them by world-renowned engravers. This is the real thing, and they're not very expensive, even though the silver coins are real silver. We're working on new ones all the time to bring the world of A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE to life in your hand. Editions are small by minting standards, as low as 20 pieces (the Blue Kraken) up to as many as 14,000 pieces (Garth XII Gardener Golden "Hand") but most are in the several hundred to low thousands range. A full mintage list is available here on the forum at: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/66827-game-of-thrones-coins/

As far as my own collecting habits... I specialize in collecting vintage machinery and presses, dies, and tooling as well as bars and bullion of various metals. (always willing to trade for nice pieces!) I have an extensive collection of about 5000 vintage handmade dies and master hubs dating from the late 1800s to around the 1990s when computer aided machining essentially overwhelmed traditional die-sinking methods. I also collect books by many authors, including GRRM, but I don't focus on collector grade books, because mine get dogeared and bookmarked and smeared by greasy fingers, and are used primarily for research to assist in making coins as close to canon as possible. I do own one collector grade book... a first India paper Allen and Unwin edition of JRR Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. It is pristine and sadly, I have never opened it beyond the title page for fear of damaging it, but it is a thing of beauty! Sigh! But I have worn out several paperback editions through rereading.

Have fun! Tom

Yes, the coins are great - and a great idea. My problem is I have a hard time just collecting one or two of something... ;) That is why I switched to art...I am stuck only buying one! I would end up buying 200 coins and framing them in some goofy fashion... And then my wife would make me buy her some shoes and purses... It would be an ugly scene...

I still think our collections can at least arguably qualify as "comprehensive", though! :)

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies. This is interesting to me because different collectors have different collecting habits and it is challenging to know how to present items to different kinds of collectors. Would it help if we created a catalogue and album of all the different kinds, with places to put them? Or perhaps sets of all one house or all one denomination? Do we need to develop a frameable display option? My own preference is to mix lots of coins together in a wooden chest so that I can run my fingers through them while chortling demonically! That is why I got into making fantasy coins... because I WANTED THEM my precious! But then other people wanted some also.

We have created a number of different experimental display options, including a book-like album with one coin on each "page", and biooksafes to hold sets of coins that can shelve right alongside your other GRRM hardbacks. But there are so many different modes of collecting and displaying that we are in a quandary as to how to present the options.

We'd be happy to work with you to create a display option for your collection that would dovetail nicely with the other items you collect!

Many thanks for the feedback!

Tom

I like the idea of books to store them in aswell, maybe a book per house with every coin related to that house, or a book for the different coins (stags, stars, penny's, etc), with a bit of information about that coin and the years it was in circulation etc! I too have looked at your coins and would love to get some, but the only ones I could decide on getting In the future is the golden Dragon set, I like the fact that they come in the plastic case and would be easy to display rather than seperate coins! Hope that makes sence :)

Archived