Best War time leader?

Batman

As some have mentioned, there are different kinds of leaders for different kinds of settings. I'll do top 3 for each in terms of who I'd want based on what we know within the time frame of the books;

As an overall wartime leader, ie the administrative leader for an entire war: Tywin Lannister, Brynden Tully, Stannis Baratheon

As a campaign leader, ie not a specific battle, but a specific phase of war: Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Brynden Tully

As a battlefield commander on land: Randyl Tarly, Jon Connington, Robb Stark

As a unit commander or vanguard commander: Adam Marbrand, Randyl Tarly, Jaime Lannister or the Halfhand.

As a naval commander: VIctarion Greyjoy, Stannis Baratheon, eh...tougher...Paxter Redwyne musters a great fleet, but nothing special other than that seen so far. Euron seems good but unreliable. Maybe Asha.

I've left out Robert because its hard to pin down exactly what kind of commander he was. I don't mean in terms of quality...he was clearly inspirational and exceptional...but the stories seem contradictory in terms of how he actually commaded. He's a battlefield commander who leads from the front, but rarely on horse. That's a pretty tough thing to do unless you're defending an established position because you can't see much and your men mostly can't see you. So I need more specifics to characterize him.

Also Jon Snow is rapidly rising as an all-arounder.

As some have mentioned, there are different kinds of leaders for different kinds of settings. I'll do top 3 for each in terms of who I'd want based on what we know within the time frame of the books;

As an overall wartime leader, ie the administrative leader for an entire war: Tywin Lannister, Brynden Tully, Stannis Baratheon

As a campaign leader, ie not a specific battle, but a specific phase of war: Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Brynden Tully

As a battlefield commander on land: Randyl Tarly, Jon Connington, Robb Stark

As a unit commander or vanguard commander: Adam Marbrand, Randyl Tarly, Jaime Lannister

As a naval commander: VIctarion Greyjoy, Stannis Baratheon, eh...tougher...Paxter Redwyne musters a great fleet, but nothing special other than that seen so far. Euron seems good but unreliable. Maybe Asha.

Your list lacks Robert.

I would have to say Robb Stark, he has shown that he can win and make sacrifice as well as still plan on how to win, his downfall was that damned wedding!

Otherwise I pretty much agree with what James Arryn wrote.

I would have to say Robb Stark, he has shown that he can win and make sacrifice as well as still plan on how to win, his downfall was that damned wedding!

Otherwise I pretty much agree with what James Arryn wrote.

Robb and Jon showed tons of potential.

Robb clearly learned from Ned, but in addition to Ned's advanced planning and immediate leaderhip skills he'd added a brilliance with fast-hitting aggressive/decisive moves. I think that part he learned from the Blackfish, but it made a pretty amazing combination.

Putting it all at risk because of a seduction would detract from how reliable you can consider him as an overall war commander, but he was just 15.

Jon's another interesting blend. Again, a lot learned from Ned, but where Robb added the Blackfish's aggression and bold campaign moves, Jon (from where I don't know...) added serious lateral thinking and progressive strategic flexibility. He's not yet good enough that I'd rely on him ahead of any of the guys on the above list in those spheres, but its also amazing that he could be considered for all of them, even overall war commander. His reforms of the NW, his advice to Stannis etc. all show an ability to see the entire field of operations.

Wich enemie did he turn into his friend?

I'll have to find the quote but during the rebellion Aerys sent two Lords to supress Robert's forces, Robert defeated their armies and invited them to the victory feast. By the end they had switched sides, stayed loyal to him through the rebellion and both even lost sons putting down the Greyjoy rebellion for Robert.

If you give up 15% of your army to be able to marry the hot girl during a vicious war, you are a terrible war time leader in my book.

It is a toss-up between Lord Randyll Tarly or Brynden Tully.

Stannis and Tywin are both ruthless, which makes them self-destructive. And it shows.

Robert is too impulsive and easily manipulated.

Ned and Robb will be better, but only because they will avoid the war entirely...

Archived