Underrated Characters

eyeheartsansa

Wait, is Wyman Manderly underrated? How so? Everyone knows what he is capable of, how can he still be underrated?

Honestly, I think he is underrated on some level. I don't think that anyone could have predicted how cunning he actually is....I mean not only did he rid himself of enemies, the man baked them in a pie and took great satisfaction in eating that pie and feeding it to more of his enemies. I don't imagine that anyone that knew him would thought he was capable of that. ;) I can't wait to see what his next move will be!!! :)

Honestly, I think he is underrated on some level. I don't think that anyone could have predicted how cunning he actually is....I mean not only did he rid himself of enemies, the man baked them in a pie and took great satisfaction in eating that pie and feeding it to more of his enemies. I don't imagine that anyone that knew him would thought he was capable of that. ;) I can't wait to see what his next move will be!!! :)

Right, he was underrated, but no more, that was my point. How can he still be underrated?

I also really hope we get to see much more of him :)

how many people did he lost? It's a single digit number and his objective is simple the dragons back

I thought Doran's objective was to take Revenge on Tywin Lannister? His Brother, His son. Almost his daughter. That's more than the Lord Protector of the Vale of Arryn Baelish and Lord Paramount of the Trident.

I also think Doran Martell is underrated. Everyone likes Oberyn, but Oberyn is hot headed, while Doran is patient and calculating. I think he is very capable.

How do you know? What is he attempting to do? It depends in on what Doran's objective is. If actually trying to play the game of thrones, then he's overrated. If he's trying to keep his people safe and out of it, then he's underrated.

Gendry Waters. I love that boy to bits. I hope there are great and epic things in store for his character.

Rodrik "The Reader" Harlaw. When I first read his character, I just loved him. He's got the sea in his blood, but he's so far from most Iron Born.

Ser Hyle. The guy's a jackass, but I hope he survived the hanging.

Beth Cassel. I'm sure Ramsay killed her, but I wanted her to live. She was such a strong girl, even when Theon was threatening to kill her so Rodrik Cassel wouldn't attack.

Podrick Payne. Best squire ever.

Devan Seaworth. Second best squire ever.

Asha Greyjoy. I never realized she was underrated since I loved her so so much!

Edmure Tully! Ugh. He's just... Edmure for king?

Rickon Stark. NOPE. Rickon is going to be king. He'll be half a wildling.

Thank you eyeheartsansa for showing your appreciation for Damphair. I'm a Damphair fan myself! So many people dislike him and find him boring, but I found him so interesting. I even missed him in ADwD. :leaving:

I have a feeling Aeron is going to do something totally boss in the upcoming story. I don't know what....

I think all the ironborn are pretty underrated. Even though Vic is vicious brute, I can't help but be totally entertained by his pov.

The Martells are another. Especially Doran and Arianne. At first I wasn't to fond of Arianne, then she grew on me. There's definitely more to Doran than he is showing us. I'm very curious as to what they are plotting.

Catelyn Stark. Yes, I said. :P

I second Pod. <3 Poor lad, I hope he's all right. The only one who was ever truly loyal to Tyrion. And I also second Old Nan. She's the sweetest old lady ever with all the awesome stories. And she just goes on knitting and knitting. <3

My favourite underrated/minor character is Yoren. But he might not be underrated anymore since he was well-liked in the TV series. Still, he was badass and took no shit from anyone.

Maester Cressen. He lasts only one prologue, but it's so heart-breaking. Poor, poor old maester, I just wanted to hug him.

GRRM himself said that take all of the prophesies with a grain of salt, but to believe every word of what Old Nan says.

Citation needed.

[referring to the dude baptizing Theon on TV]

who else would it be??

Bizarre as it seems, that is not supposed to be Damphair, but just some other priest. That came out in the press releases about the casting. I assume they have found some other wonderful actor to play him and will spring him on us when his scenes come up.

Bizarre as it seems, that is not supposed to be Damphair, but just some other priest. That came out in the press releases about the casting. I assume they have found some other wonderful actor to play him and will spring him on us when his scenes come up.

interesting!

To me he looked just like damphair would look, only blonder.

Ser Vardis - He was honourable and refused to take Tyrion back to the sky cell when Lysa refused his plea for a trial. I came to really like him on a re-read.

Good one! He had to die only to let one of the main characters live. He was a good, honourable man.

This may not quite fit with this topic, but Mirri Maz Duur is an absolute boss.

Dany kissed her sun-and-stars gently on the brow, and stood to face Mirri Maz Duur. "Your spells are costly, maegi."

"He lives," said Mirri Maz Duur. "You asked for life. You paid for life."

"This is not life, for one who was as Drogo was. His life was laughter, and meat roasting over a firepit, and a horse between his legs. His life was an arakh in his hand and his bells ringing in his hair as he rode to meet an enemy. His life was his bloodriders, and me, and the son I was to give him."

Mirri Maz Duur made no reply.

"When will he be as he was?" Dany demanded.

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Dany gestured at Ser Jorah and the others. "Leave us. I would speak with this maegi alone." Mormont and the Dothraki withdrew. "You knew," Dany said when they were gone. She ached, inside and out, but her fury gave her strength. "You knew what I was buying, and you knew the price, and yet you let me pay it."

"It was wrong of them to burn my temple," the heavy, flat-nosed woman said placidly. "That angered the Great Shepher."

"This was no god's work," Dany said coldly. If I look back I am lost. "You cheated me. You murdered my child within me."

"The stallion who mounts the world will burn no cities now. His khalasar shall trample no nations into dust."

"I spoke for you," she said, anguished. "I saved you."

"Saved me?" The Lhazareen woman spat. "Three riders had taken me, not as a man takes a woman but from behind, as a dog takes a bitch. The fourth was in me when you rode past. How then did you save me? I saw my god's house burn, where I had healed good men beyond counting. My home they burned as well, and in the street I saw piles of heads. I saw the head of a baker who made my bread. I saw the head of a boy I had saved from deadeye fever, only three moons past. I heard children crying as the riders drove them off with their whips. Tell me again what you saved."

"Your life."

Mirri Maz Duur laughed cruelly. "Look to your khal and see what life is worth, when all the rest is gone."

You tell her, Mirri! Destroy that hypocrite! Does Dany learn from this? No, but hey. . .at least we see some form of justice for Dany and the khal killing and conquering, and the false sense of mercy Dany gets from "saving" those she sees being raped gets demolished and shown to be merely selfish care for her own sensibilities - she doesn't want to think about the horrible things she's encouraged, as opposed to not actually wanting to do horrible things. Mirri even tried to save Drogo's life with her healing and warned Dany how horrible blood magic was. She never encouraged Dany's folly, she merely facilitated it when it was demanded of her.

It seems that many consider Mirri Maz Duur a villain, but she's a paler shade of grey than most characters, I'd say. Certainly paler than Dany, at least at the end of GoT.

Old Nan!

Meera Reed!

Jojen Reed!

Gendry!

Hot Pie? (OK, maybe not Hot Pie.)

Agree on Catelyn, even though she's a major character. Made some mistakes, but a lot less thick than her husband, and a lot of people would still be alive if her eldest son would have listened to her, several times over. Might not have been as much of a story, though.

Probably Satin; we'll see.

He's over rated. You have people like Queen Cersei I out there saying he'd make a better Over Lord than the Blackfish. As if being a nice guy is some sort of redeeming characteristic in any position where you have responsibility for anything besides yourself. I hear George W. Bush is a nice guy.

But what failures of his need redeeming? I haven't read through the books much since ADWD, but my recollection is simply that he didn't get enough screen time to have caused any major problems.

And he's only had responsibility for others since Hoster Tully died, and in that brief period he repelled the Lannisters at Stone Mill, and then got captured by the Freys. Again, what has he done wrong?

Archived