[Book Spoilers] Joffrey and the whores

teemo

Why do the producers keep going over the top with Joffrey? First, they made him the bastard killer, not his mother. Now they are having him torture whores. That scene was just....I don't know. Unnecessary, dragged on too long, and with the shows being annoyingly short, very frustrating. Part of me thinks they keep emphasizing how despicable he is to "off-set" how evil Cersei is, and make her more "likable," which is just ridiculous. I only got that from the fact that he killed the bastards instead of her, however. Maybe they just want to emphasize his crazy sadism on television.

I get that HBO wants T&A, but this isn't the T&A that most people are looking forward to (most) - whores being tortured by a 13 year old. Wasn't him having Sansa stripped and beaten enough to show his cruelty this episode?

I think there was too little "beating and stripping of Sansa"! It just didn't look hurtful enough to me. I wish they'd done Joff/Sansa scene properly and cut Joff/whores scene out. It was redundant and long. Well done but pointless for me.

Also working from memory here in the book ser Dontas intervenes with Sansas stripping but that didn't happen here.... where is he? he was saved in the first episode.

(by intervenes i mean he runs up to her and hits here with a melon on a flail instead of a gauntlet)

And here there was some hope he might have used that crossbow on Roz. Rid us of another pointless character that limits the screentime of those more important.

My wish was not granted.

Yeah, I was hoping more of the Sansa beating. I especially missed The Hound's line ("That's enough"), as that small moment was enough to set him apart from the real monsters. I didn't mind the whore scene, though. Thought it was acted very well, and it makes sense that they have added a sexual dimension to Joffrey's sadism, as he is older in the TV version than in the book.

I didn't mind the scene, really... but as others have said, with so much to be told in only 10 hours of show, this scene seemed a bit too long. They could focus more on Sansa/Joffrey, Cersei/Joffrey or even Tommen/Joffrey and Myrcella/Joffrey, things we didn't see in the books but would be nice little additions to the show, I think.

Iv read the books so i know how bad Joffrey is. But for my friends who havnt they are really starting to hate him. To go by their reactions id say the producers are doing a good job

I thought the belt would have been enough. The whole scepter thing was a bit much

Unnecessary, disgusting, sick to death of seeing whores in every episode. I'd heard about this before I saw it, and it very nearly put me off watching it, but what actually happened was nothing compared to what I imagined was going to happen *shudder* I have no idea why they're changing Cersei to be more sympathetic and likable, Joffrey's sick and evil enough. TV viewers aren't going to realise where he got it from, if the sun shines out of his mother's arse. Never mind. It wasn't as bad as I imagined, but it was still disgusting and unnecessary. Come on, HBO, enough of Ros. We need those ridiculously short 50 or so minutes to see the characters who are actually in the books.

Did Joffrey has sex with the whores or just let the one beat the other, that's an intresting question because he is older then 13 and don't have sex when he get an opertunity, why? Even a sadist have sex after the S&M stuff, cut thei make Jofrey impotend?

The scene added nothing to the show - we go from a scene of Joffrey threatening to kill his betrothed in front of the court to him having a KG beat his betrothed in front of the court. We remember he enjoyed showing his betrothed her fathers head on a spike. We know he killed his fathers bastards. We know he lied to his father regarding the Arya/Mycah scene. We get it...he's a douchebag.

Changes are fine...but please have them make sense and push the story forward. Give us something we don't all ready know.

Did Joffrey has sex with the whores or just let the one beat the other, that's an intresting question because he is older then 13 and don't have sex when he get an opertunity, why? Even a sadist have sex after the S&M stuff, cut thei make Jofrey impotend?

No, i don't believe he had sex with Roz after she beat the other one. That was it - just beat her and then go to Tyrion.

I don't believe book-Joffrey was all that interested in sex either. I think he's just sadistic, and they're making him out to be more of a psychopath than a sexually violent freak. The fact that he gets off enough on watching one prostitute beat another without having sex afterwards is just.. eurgh. Hated the scene.

This. It really got me scared for a moment.

I felt sick when I heard a review for it. Someone called it 'the most disgusting thing on television', so I thought it was going to be horrific. It was bad, don't get me wrong, but my imagination ran wild before I saw it, so when I eventually saw it, it wasn't that bad, if that makes sense. Still see no need for the scene though. We get it - Joffrey is evil and twisted, Ros is a whore. Stop ramming it down our throats!

I agree with the above comments. The audience already hates Joffrey's guts. There's no need to push it any further. To my mind the scene doesn't enrich the character in any way. I mean, this screen time could've been spent better. A Clash of Kings abounds in various threads. Why not take something so far unknown to the non-readers.

Archived