[Book Spoilers] Stannis

Thought he was OK at first. But now changed my mind. Not liking him so far. More of a whiny kid than the bad MFer from the books. Just think of the book confrontation with Renly, and compare with the show. He really looks and feels weak. And if there's one thing Book Stannis never allowed himself to look it was weak.

He doesn't even sound angry in the confrontation with Renly! He's just like "Eh".

He's getting better but still not so good in the adaptation. I'm ok with him knowing about the shadow in the show, despite getting the opposite impression in the book, but he seems to command less of a presence in the show. The actor doesn't grind his teeth, he doesn't seem strong and confident either. In the book when Stannis said he was going to defeat Renly, I believed him. In the show, despite knowing what's to come I found him to be coming off as weak and delusional.

Also, I'm glad they divulged a little of his and Davos's backstory, but they still need to spend more time on it since they are such lasting characters.

I was so disappointed with the renly scene! That was one of my favorite parts of the books! Stannis is obviously serious, but his dry sense of humor is completely lacking in this series. I wanted him to tell Renly that Margaery would remain a maiden in his bed!

I also miss some of my favorite lines of stannis, like trying a "Red Hawk"

I honestly wish they would have spent more time developing Stannis and how he feels slighted by Robert and given him more interaction with Davos, but oh well. Turning a 800 page book into less than 10 hours of television is impossible

Stannis was amazing this episode, but slightly different from what I had in mind. I mean, he seemed mostly amused at Renly when they meet, trying hard not to smile, a bit too nonchalant, really, but tired, which makes sense considering the shadow baby business. But I loved him, just as I love absolutely any character Stephen Dillane plays; there's not much of a choice here...

Also, I was surprised they chose to show that Stannis knew what Melisandre intended to do, I always assumed he only finds out after Renly is dead - but it proves nothing as far as our speculations to whether or not he knew it from the start in the book goes. I mean, they did turn those two shadow baby episodes into one, so it wouldn't make much sense not to show him aware of it. But I hope they will show how troubled he gets at what he did afterwards, how much Renly's death haunts him for the rest of his days (even if they eliminated the peach) - and maybe some comfort from Mel? ;)

He doesn't even sound angry in the confrontation with Renly! He's just like "Eh".

I think that is partly just due to his natural voice. It is a little stringy compared to some of the powerful and/or mellifluous voices we hear on a regular basis. I kind of like his voice, it is pleasant, but it isn't like many of the others which are amazing at times.

He doesn't seem very honorable to me at all...

I agree. It bothered me that he sent Melisandre in with the Shadowbaby (I know he sends her later), because it makes it so Stannis never intended to actually give Renly until morning to come to his side. That doesn't seem like the honorable or just thing to do, and I don't see book Stannis doing that.

Did anyone also strongly get the vibe during the Renly-Stannis-conversation that Shireen is back in? Wouldn't Stannis have said 'until I have a child' when he offered Renly to name him his heir, if TV Stannis was indeed childless?

Also, the fact that Stannis learned about the incest from Ned gets rid of this whole 'Eddard Stark was no friend of mine' stuff, which makes Stanns somewhat more sympathetic.

People give too much credit to Stannis for being honorable and just. His whole thing is that he sees himself as honorable, but in reality he'll throw an innocent baby on the fire if it gets him the throne. Renly had stolen his bannermen and marched to take his throne. By Stannis logic, the only right thing to do is kill him.

Did anyone also strongly get the vibe during the Renly-Stannis-conversation that Shireen is back in? Wouldn't Stannis have said 'until I have a child' when he offered Renly to name him his heir, if TV Stannis was indeed childless?

Also, the fact that Stannis learned about the incest from Ned gets rid of this whole 'Eddard Stark was no friend of mine' stuff, which makes Stanns somewhat more sympathetic.

Do you actually think this series is making Stannis more sympathetic? That particular change does, to be sure, but I'd argue other things like how he's all "Until a son is born to me *camera cuts to Mel smirking*" make him less so.

My biggest problem is that by erasing the Joffrey-Ros scene and saving the Sansa scene for a later episode, we could of easily had Storm's End, Renly's army and an actual believable follow-up to the conversation. They could have used this episode to believably explore Stannis, Melisandre, and of course, his relationship with Davos.

So, yes, Stannis has been a complete dissapointment for me so far. I do like Stephen Dilane, though.

I need to re-watch, but it sounded like Stannis knew what Meli was about to do. Does that imply that he understands the sex was for a shadowbaby? Wish that was more elaborated on. But you know, they ran out of time at 9:51 PM.

My biggest problem is that by erasing the Joffrey-Ros scene and saving the Sansa scene for a later episode, we could of easily had Storm's End, Renly's army and an actual believable follow-up to the conversation. They could have used this episode to believably explore Stannis, Melisandre, and of course, his relationship with Davos.

They're putting Dragonstone arc on the backseat so we can see Robb give Jeyne 2.0 googly eyes and Dany have really awkward conversations

I'm not sure if they need to make him this grammer cop either. It kind of tied in with his "A lie, take it out"

He may be a bit anal when it comes to justice and what is right, but I think constantly taking the high ground and correcting people would be pretty tiresom for his followers, esp Davos.

Oh right...

He's a lobster.

I like him a lot.

He might not come off as aggressive as he could but I felt his delivery was cold rather than weak.

Dillane has really grown on me and his exchange with Davos was quite enjoyable.

I did also find the scene fun and it made me chuckle, mostly because Davos had this look like "Did you really just say that?"

We know Stannis from the books, but seeing it played out in the show is still a bit strange for me. Maybe It didn't play out in my head that way when I was reading. Stannis was way more stoic and righteous for me in the books.

Didn't Renly list "childless" in the list of adjectives about Stannis? I thought I heard that, and it made me sad, because I like Shireen.

People give too much credit to Stannis for being honorable and just. His whole thing is that he sees himself as honorable, but in reality he'll throw an innocent baby on the fire if it gets him the throne. Renly had stolen his bannermen and marched to take his throne. By Stannis logic, the only right thing to do is kill him.

This. Stannis' honor is mostly a fiction, both in-story and among fandom.

Stannis didnt learn about the incest from Eddard. He and jon arryn figured it out, hence why stannis left before ned got there.

I dont like this actor as Stannis at all. There's nothing intimidating about him at all. Not his voice, looks, mannerisms, nothing. Amother problem i hve is that book Stannis is very perceptive, and wise. He's a respected warrior commander and we know this from the get go with the books.

I get none of that from this character so far. I think he's the worst character so far, and he's top 3 for me in the books.

I like him a lot.

He might not come off as aggressive as he could but I felt his delivery was cold rather than weak.

Dillane has really grown on me and his exchange with Davos was quite enjoyable.

Your dad came off as cold blooded. Totally different than the way stannis comes off imo. Roose is one of my favorites that the producers do appear to have gotten right imo.

This. Stannis' honor is mostly a fiction, both in-story and among fandom.

Stannis is much more of a calculating, hard man than honorable. But he's certainly more honorable than anyone in kings landing or renly or the greyjoys. He outlaws rapes and deals out justice more fairly than most.

Archived