Targaryen Question - Ruling Queens

FaelaeshioDream

Based on the succession plan put in place by Aegon II, his own son.

There's nothing keeping Dany from swooping in and establishing a Martelll like inheritance law if she chooses, just as Aegon ii did.

I'm not talking about her establishing a Martell inheritance law, I'm talking about Dany's legal claim as it stands now, and if it's as strong as she (and a lot of you) thinks it is.

And if Aegon II's son would have come before Aegon III, that only undermines the idea that the crown went to Aegon III because he was "the rightful heir's son." It went to Aegon III over Aegon II's daughters because they were daughters. And even though he made his claim through a woman, Aegon III was still chosen over male-line females. Which, unless I'm missing something, has been the entire point of discussing the hyper-Salic Targ practices and how far they go. Some people suggested that female-line males don't count, when this event shows that, yes, they do. And if Aegon II's son would have a claim before Aegon III, then the "rightful heir" interpretation falls flat. If Aegon III would have inherited regardless of whether Aegon II had a son, there might be something to that. But seeing as you yourself admit that no, Aegon II's son would come first, then the "rightful heir" thing doesn't adequately explain why Aegon III came before his female cousins.

Not sure about the canonicity of this, but here's what Blood of Dragons has to say about Aegon III's succession:

From the 129th to the 131st year since Aegon’s the Conqueror’s landing on the shores of the Seven Kingdoms, the siblings Rhaenyra and Aegon II Targaryen war with one another over their father’s throne. The war, called the Dance of the Dragons, consumes them both, as well as most of the rest of the royal family and the majority of their remaining dragons. In the end, peace is made between the survivors of the war on each side through the marriage of Rhaenyra’s eldest son, Aegon, and Aegon II’s only surviving daughter. Aegon is crowned as Aegon, the Third of His Name. His cousin dies not long after their marriage, but in later years he marries the daughter of Lord Velaryon, who served as his Regent and first Hand of the King. The last dragons dies during his reign, malformed and misshapen, and it is whispered that the king—who had witnessed one of his uncle’s dragons eat his mother alive—had had them poisoned. He is remembered as Aegon Dragonbane because of this.

Based on this quote (assuming it is either canon or semi-canon), I think Aegon III's succession should be treated as a special case. His ascension to the throne was only allowed as part of the peace deal between the rival Targaryen factions, and it was sealed with a marriage to Aegon II's only surviving daughter (who herself died not long after their marriage). I don't think we can extrapolate from this that all female-line male claimants would come before male-line daughters in the line of succession.

Archived