How did Tyrion become such a great warrior in CoK?

Mulled Wino

Is it just me or did they overdue Tyrion's battle skills by more than half in the BoB? I was laughing to myself. On my reread it seemed like he must have cut down about 20 foe's in that battle.

I know that his opponents were retreating some and that he took the guys at the gate by surprise, but it turned into a face to face battle with multiple foes.

I saw him as more of a commander than a fighter/warrior.

He was good because he's just a smart dude. He also reads alot so he'll have learned about all kinds of military tactics and strategies.

There seemed to be a lot more hand to hand fighting than actual commanding in the scene. Like, A LOT more.

Reading books doesn't train you for that type of battle, at all.

The guy had the best armor, weapon, horse and trainer Lannister gold can buy and some pretty decent comrades. His "enemies" were mostly fleeing, only partly equipped with what little they had to begin and broken infantry.

He never fought a straight up one on one but participated in cavalry charges where he didn't stand out in the mass and got carried through by his comrades and the mass of horses.

I think his size actually was an advantage in one to one combat. He can attack fairly unprotected areas of the body (legs and underbody mostly). His adversaries will always have to attack in a downward move wich can be dodges fairly easily. i guess.

There seemed to be a lot more hand to hand fighting than actual commanding in the scene. Like, A LOT more.

Reading books doesn't train you for that type of battle, at all.

It's fantasy.

If Dany can have dragons and Jon can have a magical pet wolf, Tyrion should be able to become Mr Miyagi at will. It's only fair.

It's fantasy.

If Dany can have dragons and Jon can have a magical pet wolf, Tyrion should be able to become Mr Miyagi at will. It's only fair.

He already has a "get out of hanging free card even though you lost trial by battle", he also used his "random sellsord is thankfully present in my other trial by combat and is hanging out for no reason", he's also apparently immune to greyscale, AND dragonfire.

That dragon has better timing than even Stannis could ever hope to have.

It's fantasy.

Fantasies still need to keep to their own rules though. Tyrion has physical limitations that seem to come and go at the author's discretion.

The guy had the best armor, weapon, horse and trainer Lannister gold can buy and some pretty decent comrades. His "enemies" were mostly fleeing, only partly equipped with what little they had to begin and broken infantry.

He never fought a straight up one on one but participated in cavalry charges where he didn't stand out in the mass and got carried through by his comrades and the mass of horses.

You should definitely reread that chapter then. He did fight straight up 1-1's.

He already has a "get out of hanging free card even though you lost trial by battle", he also used his "random sellsord is thankfully present in my other trial by combat and is hanging out for no reason",

Jaime freed him in a way and for a reason that makes sense. Bronn actually went to The Eyrie on Catelyn's "side," if I remember correctly, hoping to be paid. Bronn fought as Tyrion's champion hoping to get wealth out of it. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

he's also apparently immune to greyscale, AND dragonfire.

... What?

Fantasies still need to keep to their own rules though. Tyrion has physical limitations that seem to come and go at the author's discretion.

yeah, I guess so.. but you may as well ask why didn't Luke or Han Solo get hit by random blaster crossfire. Improbable escapes are common in just about any fantasy/adventure/sci-fi/action setting.. At some point there is a suspension of disbelief.

Jaime freed him in a way and for a reason that makes sense. Bronn actually went to The Eyrie on Catelyn's "side," if I remember correctly, hoping to be paid. Bronn fought as Tyrion's champion hoping to get wealth out of it. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

Um, nothing out of the ordinary of him escaping from the black cells?

I was referring to being "rescued in the slave pits, when the others in the pit were burned up.

I've even left out an entire company of sellswords rescuing him for promissary notes, which didn't seem to be the most acceptable currency floating around at the time; AFTER his master died and he was able to escape with another dwarf.

W

yeah, I guess so.. but you may as well ask why didn't Luke or Han Solo get hit by random blaster crossfire. Improbable escapes are common in just about any fantasy/adventure/sci-fi/action setting.. At some point there is a suspension of disbelief.

for how long? at least Han and Luke were fighters.

I'd be more like Han solo spanking Yoda in a game of checkers, then taking down Mace in chess.

Archived