[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

I don't think Renly's death will be in a castle, but in his command tent, as we see in the preview Brienne is fighting in his tent. So why did Davos go in the cave...? We'll find out in a few hours, I guess.

Yeah that too. I'm sure it will be explained. I'm also excited for some Jaqen! :drool: I can't wait to see more Jaqen and Arya interaction. Hopefully we get more Theon tonight, as well.

I wonder if Jeyne will return this episode?

The only really confusing thing for me is going to be, why would Arya not ask Jaqen to kill Tywin? In the book, she later regretted not choosing him, but there was nothing weird about it since he was not right in her face, as it is going to be in the show…

I don’t know what HBO will do about that…

I think it'll be because, though he's an enemy, he won't be needlessly cruel in her presence. Tywin is ruthless, but very intelligent, and rarely cruel (except with respect to Tyrion's emotions and other isolated incidents). Even with something as heinous as the kiling of Rhaegar's children (which he believed was necessary, in order to prove House Lannister's loyalty to Robert), he was aghast at how barbarically it was carried-out.

It won't be until later that she'll realize what a chance she missed to strike a blow in the war.

Why... ? I don't get the desire to change things that don't need to be changed. Renly wasn't a very sympathetic character, no. Please don't make him one for no reason, HBO.

Because it makes for a better story! Conformity to the book is not the be all and end all. In the book it really doesn't matter whether Renly was North-friendly or not, but in the series it makes a more compelling story if he expresses his willingness to ally with Rob and then gets murdered.

So excited for Brienne to go all nuts in this episode. She's gonna kick some arse!

As for Arya not picking Tywin, I think it will still happen in a similar way to the book - like she'll see someone (not sure if they'll stick to the same characters as the book) doing something bad and instantly pick them, because it's at the forefront of her mind. She's still a child, after all.

Jaqen can very well be a follower of the Lord of Light, or any other God however. Jaqen is not a faceless man. Jaqen is the persona that a faceless man wears. When that faceless man, whatever his name is, if he even remembers it, removes the persona of Jaqen, then yes, we would expect him to follow the religious orthodoxy of the FM. We should not expect that of the character he is 'wearing' at any one time. One could argue that he'd be a bad FM if his characteristics carried over in fact.

I disagree that this is part of his disguise because he refers to him as "the Red God". If he were a worshipper of R'hllor, I think he would refer to him as R'hllor or the Lord of Light. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure only people outside the religion refer to him as the Red God and his worshippers the Red Priests.

I'm of the opinion personally that Jaqen is not a disguise because of how upset he gets when Arya names him as her third death. If 'Jaqen H'ghar' was just an assumed name, he could easily have changed his face right then, said "There. Jaqen H'ghar is dead. Our debt is fulfilled," and then taken off to the Citadel.

You guys do realise that Arya isnt aware that jaqen is a master face-changing assassin yet, right? From Arya's pov a random mysterious stranger, who has already been caught once, has offered to kill 3 people for her. Consider all the guards and security Tywin Lannister will have compared to the other lesser men. It would be really easy to have Arya not pick him and portray it as a decent decision. Better Cheswyck (sp?) and co. than no one.

Archived