[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

Like I said before he wrote that that book before Arya got to Braavos and her stay at House of Black and White, I think George would write it differently if he had the FM planned out, but he does not work that way.

How the heck do you know how Martin works and how his writing panned out ? I think you're talking out of your ass.

This didn't make sense, actually. She had been in the stockade for a couple of days already and would have needed to relieve herself. There was nowhere to hide there, so she should have been revealed - like in the books.

Well, we see the prisoners sleeping in the rain, getting all soaked anyway. So there is no need to undress to relieve herself... :ack:

So about the Jaqen not speaking in third person, on WiC.net, Bryan Cogman commented on one of the links and gave a quote from the book that he doesn't always use his specific speech pattern. Here's the quote: “Three lives you shall have of me. No more. No less. Three and we are done.”

PS: Welcome to the board, ashagreyjoys! :cheers:

Ah, thank you!

It's not cut out. One of the ever-so-brief clips repeated often in all the promo videos since the first of the year was one of Brienne inside a tent, drawing her sword and lunging toward...something off camera. That's gotta be her reaction shot to the shadow Stan.

Yeah, I figured as such. I have a feeling we'll have a scene with him, or a couple of minutes of screentime before Catelyn enters. Then, of course, the shadow shall strike and mayhem will ensue. Or so I hope.

I hope Catelyn talks with Renly about Robb's offer, before he gets his throat cut. Otherwise her whole trip there would seem a bit redundant. They could even make it so that he accepts Northern independence, just so his death is a big more tragic. In the books, with his line "I want you to stay and watch when I destroy my brother, so that you may tell your son what I do to traitors" (or something to that effect) made him seem much more unsympathetic, and his death less tragic.

I hope Catelyn talks with Renly about Robb's offer, before he gets his throat cut. Otherwise her whole trip there would seem a bit redundant. They could even make it so that he accepts Northern independence, just so his death is a big more tragic. In the books, with his line "I want you to stay and watch when I destroy my brother, so that you may tell your son what I do to traitors" (or something to that effect) made him seem much more unsympathetic, and his death less tragic.

+1

It will make it all the better if it looks like Rob and Renly will ally

Can’t wait for Renly to die...

It's nothing against him, but this is going to be a great scene and the aftermaths are going to be fantastic to watch.

In the preview, I think we saw Brienne kicking some ass… Can’t wait for that also!

The only really confusing thing for me is going to be, why would Arya not ask Jaqen to kill Tywin? In the book, she later regretted not choosing him, but there was nothing weird about it since he was not right in her face, as it is going to be in the show…

I don’t know what HBO will do about that…

I imagine this episode will begin with the aftermath of the pregnancy.

My guess is the episode will start with Cat visiting Renly in his castle or tent, with Brienne there. (can't imagine Davos would need to row beneath the bowels of the tents?) They'll have their chat, and then shadow baby strikes, causing Cat & Brienne to flee. They'll then flash to Davos & Mel rowing out from where ever they were.

+1

Why... ? I don't get the desire to change things that don't need to be changed. Renly wasn't a very sympathetic character, no. Please don't make him one for no reason, HBO.

Why... ? I don't get the desire to change things that don't need to be changed. Renly wasn't a very sympathetic character, no. Please don't make him one for no reason, HBO.

agree and that will make viewers hate Stannis not that they probably already don't. (i feel like i'm in the minority in being someone who's enjoyed this Stannis character)

The Tickler wasn't that memorable here so if they do her inn scene later non-fans will probably forgot who he was...

That sort of thing is EASILY fixed with those "Previously on Game of Thrones" sequences they put at the beginning of each episode. The people who only torrent the show to watch it might miss out on that (assuming the torrentable versions don't include that part), but do we really care about them??

+1

Which will just further bludgeon us with Martin’s super-annoying idealism that good guys always lose and nice guys always finish last. Leave the stupid politics out of it. It’s tedious, preachy, and unrealistic. It’s also pretty fucking depressing.

Is that the idealism? Assuming (and it is an assumption) that at the end the good guys end up surviving, isn't the idealism that really bad stuff will happen to good people, at really bad times, but that doesn't mean that evil will win in the end? Isn't that a reasonably realistic point of view? I don't even think Martin is that cynical, if we take the likes of Jordan, whom nobody would claim to write that kind of cynicism, both authors are willing to put their characters through similar emotional and physical trauma, it's just that GRRM kills some of his major ones. The underlying implication is that it willall end up OK in the end for both

I'm wondering if Renly will die immediately, too. I mean, what's the Shadow Baby been doing the whole time if Renly is not killed immediately? Playing solitaire in the cave?

I'm still not convinced show Loras is this skilled swordsman, so I would also like to see him rage and cut down some fellow knights. That would be a very cool added scene that we never got to see in the book.

Archived