[Book Spoilers] Theory on Ros

Hello. Long time reader, first time poster.

I've been noticing that a lot of people are complaining about the inclusion of the prostitute Ros in the show. I can understand that - the character seems to come out of left field.

However there is one character in the books who was mentioned in A Game of Thrones and REALLY became important in A Dance with Dragons, even though she doesn't get a lot of 'screen time'. And that is Jeyne Poole.

My theory is that they have excluded Jeyne Poole and added this Ros character so that the Theon storyline will be even more poignant.

Given that Theon is castrated, and his relationship with Ros during Season 1, his willingness to overcome his fear of Ramsey Snow is given an extra needed push.

Thoughts?

Are you trolling?

If not, I suggest you go back and read the season 1 threads and then go through the season 2 threads. I'm sorry but it's not a new theory nor have is been collectively decided a plausible one.

It could work, but I think that part of the tragedy of Jeyne Poole's character was that she was a young, innocent girl who suddenly got thrown into a nightmare. I think the effect of the viewers would be diminished if it was experienced by a whore instead, even though obviously it's the same level of horror for the actual person.

That made my sound like a cold-hearted bastard, but I hope you get my point.

Welcome to the forum, Librarian of Lannister.

I've seen this theory before and I strongly disagree with it. Ros is way older than Arya and looks nothing like her at all. Nobody would be fooled which totally defeats the point. Jeyne Poole in the books is similar age to Arya and was raised in Winterfell and knew Sansa, Arya, and everyone in the castle well, and probably received good education too since she was a noble and a close friend of Sansa. None of this applies to Ros. Why would the Boltons accept her, they'd be better off taking a random peasant girl Arya's age for that role instead, at least then they'd have a chance to fool someone.

I've heard this before but that she would pretend to be Sansa as they both have the red hair.

Sansa is legally married to Tyrion at that point. She cannot marry Bolton as well.

Another argument against this theory: ADWD, when we learn about Jeyne Poole's fate, was released after they have already shot the first season. They could not be thinking that far ahead, because they did not even have the necessary information.

Some theories are terribly far-fetched.

It does seem like that's the way the show is heading though I don't think they've made any definate plans that far ahead. It would be totally unrealistic and not keeping with the books but no more I guess than a noble woman treating soldiers alone on the battlefield after victory by her enemy.

Is she a noble woman? I don't remember it being mentioned. And she isn't on the Lannisters side, she is from Volantis.

Jeyne Poole is in the first series very briefly but doesn't have any speaking parts that I recall so it seems unlikely that they'll have that same actress come back to play the roll. I did think she had some resemblance to the actress who plays Arya though so it is possible they'll bring her back.

That you all for replying. And the short answer is no - I am not trolling. Although I did search through some of the season 2 threads, I didn't see this addressed or mentioned. So I wanted to bring it up. I apologize if I've annoyed anyone. It may be hard to believe but I just don't have much time to go through all the threads.

I agree that it doesn't fit with the books at all and there are multiple reasons why it doesn't fit with Martin's vision.

However, I'm trying to think about what makes sense in an HBO series and where the producers of the SHOW might be going.

In the books, it is at the very least implied that Jeyne Poole was kept in one of Littlefinger's brothels as a whore during her time in Kings Landing. Thus the whore aspect of Jeyne is there. Add that to the obvious connection with Theon during season 1 and it does appear to me that Ros as a replacement for Jeyne Poole is at least plausible.

Also, in the books pretty much everyone who was close to the Stark family and knew them well enough to know them personally is dead - courtesy of Theon and Ramsey Snow. Just because someone worked at Winterfell doesn't mean that they would be able to identify one of the Starks after several years and going from child to adult.

If Ros does not end up being the replacement for Jeyne Poole, then the build up of her character makes NO sense and should be killed off. In which case, I too hope she goes.

I was only trying to figure out a reason for featuring Ros as much as she has been so far.

Ros doesn't exist for any storyline reason. She exists for one and only purpose: to strip. When/if she grows tired of stripping or becomes too old to make virgin teens horny she'll die (no doubt naked) and be replaced with another stripper. I don't understand why so many people keep discussing the storyline value/deeper meaning of these T&A scenes. Love them of hate them at least be honest with yourself about what they're there for.

Ros doesn't exist for any storyline reason. She exists for one and only purpose: to strip. When/if she grows tired of stripping or becomes too old to make virgin teens horny she'll die (no doubt naked) and be replaced with another stripper. I don't understand why so many people keep discussing the storyline value/deeper meaning of these T&A scenes. Love them of hate them at least be honest with yourself about what they're there for.

Silly and fairly sexist thing to say, ofc she is there for story line reasons; just because you don't like the reasons or the storylines doesn't mean they magically aren't there.

I hate to say it, but I think they will use Ros for something like this. GRRM has stated that he has told D + D his general endgame ideas, this could of included some things from book 5 before it was published so they could of been planning using Ros as a Jeyne type thing from the start. I don't like the idea of it, but it would make the character make way more sense overall.

I don't think her being Arya would work, but if they did away with the Tyrion / Sansa marriage her being used to be Sansa would be semi reasonable. I do think the imposter Stark daughter story is a bigger thing in the books then the Tyrion and Sansa get married but they don't consumate it and it really doesn't do anything but further get Joffrey to antagonize both of them.

I don't want this to be what they do, but I could see it happening and it would explain some of the so far confusing choices made on the series.

I really don't see how they could use her as a Jeyne Pool stand in. We did get a shot of Jeyne Pool at the feast for King Robert in the very first episode, and I am pretty sure Sansa mentioned her by name too.

I'm as annoyed as everyone else by the Ros character. I wondered this year whether she would be taking the Chataya/Alayaya roles, but that would only make sense if they'd gone along with Shae hiding in her brothel. They may still drag her into the Tyrion beating Tommen if Cersei harms Ros (Alayaya) sideline, but I think that would be a bit pointless too. They have far too much story to cover. I really think her role lies within Littlefinger's future storylines. I did read on a blog somewhere that D & D said she was going to be very important this series. We're still waiting, Dan and David. We're still waiting....

I cannot believe that they might leave out the Sansa/Tyrion marriage . This is far too important for describing both characters, apart from that the wedding night is a sophistically written psychological study, embarrassing, sad and awkward at its best, simply good writing - nooo ..... don't leave that out!

And, sorry, I think that the Ros actress is not bad. I do not mind nudity and sex as long as as it's not only the women that get presented and as long as it truly promotes the story. :) But then I am European (sorry couldn't resist :) )

And I am aware that undressing may not be part of the contracts of the more important actors. But since people need not be stereotypically attractive and young to be sexy and charismatic I would definitely like to see the sex scenes between the characters as they are in the books, as beautiful, ugly, cruel or awkward as they are.

Archived