When Did Daenerys Targaryen Become Your Favourite Character?

Winter's Knight

*sigh*

So anyway, Dany is my favorite character. I like her as a potential future leader of Westeros. And considering the clusterf**k that Westeros has become, I am hoping that she gains followers, if she ever gets her butt in gear and decides to head westward...(my only issue with her, really)

*sigh*

So anyway, Dany is my favorite character. I like her as a potential future leader of Westeros. And considering the clusterf**k that Westeros has become, I am hoping that she gains followers, if she ever gets her butt in gear and decides to head westward...(my only issue with her, really)

I hear you. Personally, while I am a long-time believer in R+L=J, I recognize that unless or until it's confirmed within the story it remains a theory. The same holds true for opinions as to exactly why Hightower, Dayne, and Whent remained at the Tower of Joy.

Dany's journey has been incredible, and she has been my favorite female character across all books. I just love her spirit, and her relationships with Selmy and Missandei, and it touches me whenever she's homesick for a home she doesn't have. The House of the Undying is possibly my favorite chapter ever.

I didn't care for how her story went in ADwD but the problem was more with the execution than with her. If only her chapters were tightly written or judiciously edited or were populated with more characters written well enough so we could care about them, I'm sure that the Mereen arc would have gone down far better. Overall, Mereen was meant to be a commentary on many impossible political situations, including the recent ones in the Middle East, imo. As I read it, in ADwD Martin either set many major characters on a quest which wouldn't end where they hoped (Tyrion, Brienne, Davos) or made them learn a hard lesson of paying for the mistakes they were making as leaders (Dany, Jon, Cersei). In short, no one was getting anywhere fast - and while it's debatable whether this was intentional, I'd like to believe it was.

What I'd like to see in her future is something awesome but not obvious. I'd rather see her on a dragon than on a throne, and in a confrontation with the Others than with the already embattled Westeros. Meeting with Jon and Tyrion would be an absolute cherry on top, and most of all, for her to find a home, with red door or without it.

She isn't my favourite but I try to defend her in the hate threads. She was my favourite in AGOT as her story there was brilliant, freeing herself from Viserys and then for it all to come crashing down with Drogo's death. I have also enjoyed the tour of Essos, as while many complain about it I'd be annoyed if this wonderful and mysterious continent was never explored. It's also why I like Arya in Braavos.

She isn't my favorite character, that goes to the Imp

She isn't my favorite female character, that goes to Sansa

And she isn't my favorie monarch, that goes to Stannis (or maybe Sansa soon)

However I love Dany. I don't understand where all the hatred comes from. She is the last living person of the greatest dynasty that Westeros has ever seen. She birthed dragons! She took over Essos, changed the laws, killed the false lords, etc,etc.

She may have done morally wrong, torture and crucifixion is disgusting, yet who am I reading about? Mother Teresa or the Dragon queen? I enjoy her trickery and deceit, I love reading about her blood thirstiness or her mockery of Dornish princes. I don't sympathize with the slavers or the savages that deny my Khalessi her crown.

But she isn't inherently evil. She chilled with the sick folks, and sold herself to Hzdar (sp?) to keep her people safe.

I want Sansa to claim much land, I want Rickon to hold Winterfell, I want to watch the Freys, Lannisters, Karstarks and Boltons die. But I want my Targaryen godess on the throne the most.

Dany went up to the top 3 for me when she started conquering Slaver's Bay. For all this talk about thrones and wars and 5 kings, Danny is the only character who has actually conquered... anything. Whether it's the Iron Throne in westeros, or the ebony throne in Mereen, Dany will rule the same way she forges empires, with blood and fire, and for that Danny is forever one of my favorites.

Also, Mereen was interesting to read about, however her story did slow down when she decided to wait there, at least compared to her sacking cities in the previous book. Even despite the slower pace, How could any other character be your favorite after reading that, with hair on fire and whip in hand, she tames Drogon and rides off on his back! coolest event in the books to date.

After the 20th "I hate Daenerys" thread reached its 400th post. ;)

:D

In general, I also get contrary when I see imperfect but not evil characters getting constantly picked on for pretty much breathing.

, How could any other character be your favorite after reading that, with hair on fire and whip in hand, she tames Drogon and rides off on his back! coolest event in the books to date.

I agree, that was an amazing exit.

While I still can't forgive her for not even trying to prevent her brother's death I strongly simpathise with her cause.If Young Griff is not Aegon after all she is the only rightful(Targaryen) heir to the throne(Jon Snow is a Stark born and bred,I wouldn't want him on the Iron Throne even if Rhaegar himself appointed him his heir).

Dany's not my favourite character but generally I like her and look forward to her chapters. Taking the Unsullied and burning the slavers in Astapor is my favourite moment of hers.

Meereen in ADWD did drag on a bit, but her last couple of chapters were absolute corkers and well worth the wait. I now look forward to seeing what she does in WOW.

Dany was my favourite character when I started reading AGOT, I still loved her in ACOK and even in ASOS, but she slowly became more and more stubborn and got herself in one hell of a messy situation.

I was annoyed at her for getting rid of Jorah and really mad when she chained her dragons in a dungeon.

The dragons matter made me feel that she was trying to deny who she truly was… It’s a big mistake to reject your roots and identity. Fortunately, by the end of ADWD, in her last chapter especially, I think she started to realize her mistakes and I have a lot of hopes that she will become as interesting as she used to be again.

That last POV in ADWD was excellent!

While I still can't forgive her for not even trying to prevent her brother's death I strongly simpathise with her cause.If Young Griff is not Aegon after all she is the only rightful(Targaryen) heir to the throne(Jon Snow is a Stark born and bred,I wouldn't want him on the Iron Throne even if Rhaegar himself appointed him his heir).

Really? She should have saved Viserys, so he could go on threatening to kill her and child? No offense to you, but I say damn Viserys to the deepest of the seven hells, or whatever it is.

With regards to Jon: perhaps a "Stark born and bred" on the Iron Throne is just what the Maester ordered, in terms of surviving a long winter. Nevertheless, I'd much rather see Daenerys sit the Throne.

With regards to Jon: perhaps a "Stark born and bred" on the Iron Throne is just what the Maester ordered, in terms of surviving a long winter.

I don't think Jon would want to touch the Iron Throne with a barge pole - he did refuse Winterfell which is emotionally a bigger deal to a bastard of Winterfell than a faraway King's Landing - but I think he could be a great king.

In any case, both Jon and Dany are clearly part of the Big Ending, in one role or another.

Besides her dragons, Dany is my hands down favorite. She's got the best chapters in the series. The Betrayal at Astapor was the moment she sealed the deal.

I don't want to derail, but just wanted to say that BabyMerax- your earnest enthusiasm for those dragons always makes me smile (in a completely unsarcastic, happy way)

I don't want to derail, but just wanted to say that BabyMerax- your earnest enthusiasm for those dragons always makes me smile (in a completely unsarcastic, happy way)

It's mostly because I imagine them as pugs. I actually plan on getting three triplet pugs, and naming them Balerion, Meraxes and Vhagar. But, seriously, how can you dislike a dragon?

I loved Dany my first read through up until Dance. It was a gradual slide after she creatively took the unsullied from love to unsure conflicted.

On my second read through, I still liked her a lot in Game of Thrones, and after that pretty much hated her. I found her to make intuitive short term decisions that have horrible long run consequences.

I cheered for those decisions my first read through because they were exciting, but loathed them my second run through because they were not the decisions of a ruler, more the decisions of a hypocrite. I still hold out hope.

It's mostly because I imagine them as pugs. I actually plan on getting three triplet pugs, and naming them Balerion, Meraxes and Vhagar. But, seriously, how can you dislike a dragon?

Because dragon- pugs keep tormenting my wolf at the dog park!

ETA: Winter'sNight- well done.

Archived