Robb Stark or Jon Snow?

Greatjon_umber

Wasn't it mentioned in one of the books that , in retrospect, Eddard said that Jon was the better swordsman out of the two?

That seems to be the notion I've gotten so far. What about mid-war? Robb had a lot more experience in battle, and Jon had some experience off beyond the wall.

From what I can remember Jon was better with a sword and Robb was better with a Lance. They would make an extremely good combo had things worked out well. They are both two amazing field general's in the making (Robb was but that was cut short).

Jon if they were fighting one-on-one, practically without a doubt. If they were both commanding opposing armies, it would be really close imo. Robb's obviously a fantastic commander (I really don't think he was over-hyped like some people apparently do) but I give Jon major props for commanding the night's watch - especially the battle on the Wall. Plus Robb had men, resources, power, etc. at his disposal whereas Jon had next to nothing.

Jon if they were fighting one-on-one, practically without a doubt. If they were both commanding opposing armies, it would be really close imo. Robb's obviously a fantastic commander (I really don't think he was over-hyped like some people apparently do) but I give Jon major props for commanding the night's watch - especially the battle on the Wall. Plus Robb had men, resources, power, etc. at his disposal whereas Jon had next to nothing.

True, but Robb was fighting a professional army that was equipped far better then his own, and like Jon, Robb was also outnumbered the majority of his battles. Where as the wildlings are anything but a professional army, not that I question their skills, I'm sure surviving beyound the wall is a chore in itself, but a poorly equipped army of cilivians, or a army that's equipped by the wealth of the West, and lead by actual commanders.

Considering they received essentially the same training from the same teachers, I'd imagine it was pretty close. Personnally, I think the difference in the training yard at Winterfell was a matter of the large and stocky Robb having a strength advantage over Jon.

BTW, I thought the "better sword/better lance" discussion was about Garlan/Loras Tyrell.

True, but Robb was fighting a professional army that was equipped far better then his own, and like Jon, Robb was also outnumbered the majority of his battles. Where as the wildlings are anything but a professional army, not that I question their skills, I'm sure surviving beyound the wall is a chore in itself, but a poorly equipped army of cilivians, or a army that's equipped by the wealth of the West, and lead by actual commanders.

I completely agree. That's why I think it would be really close, Robb would probably even win actually. I just have to give Jon credit for what he was able to do given what he had to work with, since nobody really seems to dispute Robb's skills.

Considering they received essentially the same training from the same teachers, I'd imagine it was pretty close. Personnally, I think the difference in the training yard at Winterfell was a matter of the large and stocky Robb having a strength advantage over Jon.

BTW, I thought the "better sword/better lance" discussion was about Garlan/Loras Tyrell.

In the first Jon chapter in AGoT, Jon tells Benjen

Robb is a stronger lance than I am, but I'm the better sword

Inspired by Apple Martini's selflessness and commitment to research, I hereby undertake to test the spear handling skills of Ygritte and Val. And the Dorneishwomen too, I understand they're big on that sort of thing...

In the unlikely event of Jon and Robb fighting each other, I'm going to back the guy who still has his own head :P

Archived