Tywin Lannister or Dorne? [Spoilers]

Batman

You say this even after GRRM has said that Tywin is a strong and competant hand?

Oh, yes. Did you expect otherwise? I don't read books to surrender my judgement to the author. Even if it happens to be George.

I certainly am curious about the circunstances of that statement, however.

There is a thread somewhere about how GRRM supposedly called Stannis "righteous". It turned out to be a very specific statement, blown quite out of context (the claim was that Stannis was righteous in choosing to fight in the north, despite everything, and because he was one of the few characters aware of the return of the White Walkers).

Well, I could even believe Gregor might have been even more cruel than Tywin believed he would be, but like I said, Tywin has a clear history of being sexually abusive to women.

Fair enough, although that usually involves the teaching of a "lesson" in Tywins warped mind.

Oh, yes. Did you expect otherwise? I don't read books to surrender my judgement to the author. Even if it happens to be George.

I certainly am curious about the circunstances of that statement, however.

There is a thread somewhere about how GRRM supposedly called Stannis "righteous". It turned out to be a very specific statement, blown quite out of context (the claim was that Stannis was righteous in choosing to fight in the north, despite everything, and because he was one of the few characters aware of the return of the White Walkers).

He was discussing Robert deciding to make Ned hand when there were other choices. He was saying there were other choices he could have made.

Everyone has different opinions of what a strong leader is. I see Tywin as a strong leader and you dont. Fair enough

i'll take dorne hot freak women nice wine and can be trusted more than lannisters. Tywin would just want to control everything it would not be a partnership with him he can suck my unit i don't hold hands with baby killers, and a man that hates his king (although it was justifiable i guess, despite he did make him feel insecure and went and got himself kidnapped).

i'll take dorne hot freak women nice wine and can be trusted more than lannisters. Tywin would just want to control everything it would not be a partnership with him he can suck my unit i don't hold hands with baby killers, and a man that hates his king (although it was justifiable i guess, despite he did make him feel insecure and went and got himself kidnapped).

Different kinds of hot women. Sure Arianne is hot but Elia is described as average. Cersei is hot and slightly pyschotic, but still hot. Ashara Dayne seems to be hotter than any of them.

Assuming a point of view as a Great House in Westeros I have the following answer:

As much as I like the Martells particularly Oberyn and Doran, I have to say Tywin. Tywin Lannister gave the realm peace and plenty before Aerys went nuts, also he's a competant tactician. However of greater value, he's more trustworthy and open handed when someone cooperates. He knows that his authority is based on fear of retribution AND generosity to allies. Overall Tywin is an inclusive ally, open to both a Tyrell and Dornish alliance offering his grandchildren as political marriages. Tywin never did anything to alienate House Tyrell except maybe stealing a march on Sansa's wedding. Secondly he offered Cersei as recompense, Tywin as an ally is importantly willing to share power or at least defer some of it.

The Dornish by contrast offer very little. A defensive ally that is working in secret for a Targaryen restoration. The amount of secrecy involved, very few people including his own family members are not privy to these plans. Assuming for a moment that I am privy to this information and am expected to do my part when a Targ invades he is also binding my fealty to someone I really don't know. What if the Targ is as utterly mad as Aerys? And herein is my biggest concern with a Dornish alliance is that once the Targs invade I am supposed to support them and then pledge my fealty to them. At least with Tywin I know who I'm dealing with.

Archived