Best Hand of the King?

Batman

Septon Barth sounds like the best hand. He was hand under King Jaeharys I. That was when all the roads were built and the 7 Kingdoms became dependent on a the capital politically and economically, allowing the Targs to stay in power even after their dragons were gone

Tywin, he get's stuff done and doesn't care about getting his hands bloody.

Tywin has big wraps for his supposed great job as Aerys' Hand.

Yet he caused/suffered a Tax Revolt that had his King held captive and taunted daily for 6 months.

I don't think he was as good a Hand as is made out (much like his great military reputation and weak military performance).

OTOH, that is one incident in 15 odd years?

Bloodraven ran shit, and still does.

My thoughts exactly. Although like many people pointed out it really comes down to what type of king is in power. I think Bloodraven is one of the few who could adapt to any king, but if the King was extremely power hungry and wanted to run the kingdom his way or the highway. Bloodraven might have some issues. Overall hes the best choice tho, just choosing one person.

But John Arryn let Robert whore his way into a giant debt owed mostly to the Lannisters.

In terms of actual performance I'd say Tywin. If he's shitting gold for the crown, then the king will be in a good place (unless of course, he's also insane and facing the combined wrath of Houses Arryn, Baratheon, Stark, and Tully)

Bloodraven (not that I'm prejudiced or anything) for badassery, or the complete opposite, Davos, for humanity and common sense.

This Bloodraven seems to be the most competent and not a complete bastard (figuratively). Davos will call you out on your crap. Something most other hands lack.

My main candidates are Stannis and Kevan. Either would do, both would serve well in wartime aswell as in peace. They are both loyal, if the cause is right, and not ambitious to the same extent as men like Tywin. The problem with Kevan of course is whether he would be controlled by Tywin or not, could he be loyal to the crown if that should conflict with his loyalty to the Lannisters? I am hoping that he could. They are generally well respected and experienced, either would do.

Other candidates: Mathis Rowan. Tytos Blackwood. Bronze Yohn. Forley Prester etc. They are all good men, and all would make for an able Hand.

While I like Davos I think his background would hurt him, he wouldnt get the respect needed given the society in Westeros. Ned is to inexperienced with the things that goes on at court, he lacks the cunning and ruthlessness as has been shown..

I think that I'd pick Tywin as I don't know how good Bloodraven is with handeling the peace time administration, only that he was pretty good in a war. Maybe introduce some new post in the Small Council like Master of Banners to handle the crown's military matters?

Tyrion. He was just learning the last time around, and he has just suffered so much. He will do better this time around....

Seriously though, I think it depends on who you have on the rest of the small council positions. Bloodraven's skillset was very effective, but he had a useless king, and ineffective PR. Everyone feared and blamed him for what was happening.

If we only had people still alive as options, I would advocate for Tyrion as hand, Bran as Master of Whispers, Sam as Maester, Maegery handling PR etc, and Doran as Master of coin. Tyrion has a sharp mind but is amoral, Bran would parallel Bloodraven, Sam is pretty wise and would counter Tyrion a lot, Maergery is well loved, and Doran has a long term mindset. Combined they would be effective, but chosing just a Hand without consideration of the rest would be a mistake.

I'd say Davos. He is a just man, honorable and humble at the same time, and you could hardly call him stupid. He views the title of Hand of the King as a duty that he has to live up to, will always tell you the truth, even when the truth is unpleasant to hear. He is a good person, and with the right king seated on the Iron Throne he would make a good Hand.

Archived