Best Hand of the King?

Batman

Id pick Davos. He's an extremely reasonable person, isn't influenced by anything else, and is unbeliavably loyal. Best of all, he tells it like it is. When it came to Ned to tell Robert about his sons on his deathbed, he couldn't do it. He also is able to weave in and out of situations, like convincing Saan to use his ships for Stannis and convincing Manderley to bend knee to Stannis.

I did like the job Kevan was doing, until we saw Varys off him. He was doing a pretty good job tending wounds and damage controll, and I think he would have made a great mentor to little Tommen. I always perceived him as less harsh than Tywin. I never saw how killing him and letting the kingdom continue its downward spiral was "for the good of the realm."

I love Ned, I really do, but as the Hand he was a fish out of the water. Always multiple steps behind, misplaced trust, inability to see a few moves ahead... He was predestined to be outplayed. Davos shares a lot of Ned's qualities and he would fail pretty much the same. My choice is Tyrion, because he was a much better player while still loyal to the Crown (if not exactly filled with love to the King or Queen Regent). Not Tywin, because I'd like to see a Hand with at least some rudimentary morals.

Strangely, I'd like to see Ned on the Iron Throne. If he had a competent Hand, he could very well become someone known in history books as "Good King Eddard". That's how his vassals from the North see him, anyway. But Ned as the Hand? A recipe for a disaster.

I don't know what made Tyrion such a great Hand. Because he was able to outmaneuver Cersei and Pyclle? He still made a huge mistake in sending Myrcella to Dorne and believing it would make them allies. And despite his best efforts at the Battle of Blackwater, he still would have lost had it not been for the Tyrells showing up. Also, he still didn't figure out Varys was conspiring to install a Blackfyre in power. It seems as soon as Tywin took over, the Northern rebellion was ended and things started looking better for the Lannisters. It went a lot further than what little Tyrion did to preserve the throne. Also, Kevan's damage control went overlooked. He got so far and things looked like they were really shaping up, and the Lannisters could have pulled through.

Davos is different from Ned. I believe he is more aware of what's going on and would be able to pick up on things. I don't remember a time he was oblivious to something. Also, he's gifted in talking to people and persuading them. His greatest gift is being able to reason with Stannis, the most stubborn Lord in the seven kingdoms. We can't tell how he would of dealt with Littlefinger, Pycelle, and Varys but in all likelihood he wouldn't have had to as Stannis would have decorated the wall with their heads in Kings Landing.

Id pick Davos. He's an extremely reasonable person, isn't influenced by anything else, and is unbeliavably loyal. Best of all, he tells it like it is. When it came to Ned to tell Robert about his sons on his deathbed, he couldn't do it. He also is able to weave in and out of situations, like convincing Saan to use his ships for Stannis and convincing Manderley to bend knee to Stannis.

I did like the job Kevan was doing, until we saw Varys off him. He was doing a pretty good job tending wounds and damage controll, and I think he would have made a great mentor to little Tommen. I always perceived him as less harsh than Tywin. I never saw how killing him and letting the kingdom continue its downward spiral was "for the good of the realm."

What sort of Hand do you think Stannis could be?

• 4 months later...

I would honestly put a vote for Ned - he was good at the job itself, afterall. Not at the fancy smancy game, but at the job. I know I know, knowledge of the game itself is important and whatnot, but just not interested in pursuing. Just would want a good honest Hand at my side.

Queen of Thorns

Tyrion

Davos

Brienne

Marcella (As a grownup!)

...Would be other options for me. Would never be able to consider someone like Varys or LF. Could never trust them! :o

Ned and Jon arryn were great choices, the problem was the rest of the counsel and having the Lannisters anywhere near the throne. Although I will say Tyrion did a good job given he survived the same small counsel that chewed up Ned and Jon.

Out of the ones we have seen in the books:

Tyrion Lannister, as he is shrewd enough to be hand of the king on that poisonous council. Tywin (but he puts Lannister needs over the rest of the Kingdom). Kevan seemed pretty good (and not a complete muppet like everyone thought)

Ned would have been amazing if the rest of the council had the smallfolk and stability of the kingdom on their agenda, also an ounce of honour would help too. Jon Arryn seems like Ned (surprised he lived so long to be honest)

Future hand of the king:

If the small council is changed for actual good do'ers:

Davos Seaworth

With the current poisonous council (and buffoons)

Queen of the thornes (try messing with her)

Stannis. He's an experianced war commander, he's got a strong sense of justice, he doesn't have to be liked in this role, and hes had experiance running multiple castles. Also his ability politically is very underrated. Yes his people skills get in the way sometimes in the 1-on-1 political sense but he's shown he can be clever in the "big picture" sorta way. He managed the situation in Storm's End during the siege which had to be very difficult, his integration of the Free Folk gives him an extra supply of troops and will bare fruit for him in the future IMO, had Jon accepted his idea to give him WF and the Stark name it would have been one of the best political moves in the books since it'd have instantly got him EVERY northern lords support outside maybe House Bolton's key allies (Dustin, Ryswells), he took Deepwood Motte from the Ironborn THEN gave it back to the Glovers to gain the Northmens respect and get them to join his cause, it seems that in WoW he'll use the captured ravens to send false information back to WF detailing his defeat and death in order to catch the Boltons off-guard (unconfirmed but likely given what we know), and he seems to be a very good judge of character as shown by the trust and respect he shows people like Jon and Davos who are looked with distrust by most lords because their a bastard and an unworthy lowborn. I think Stannis was made for the position honestly and it's too bad he seems to be stuck on going for King or bust because it'll most likely end in his death. Theres a crackpot theory that at the end of the series Jon will be on the throne with Stannis as his Hand and while I don't see it happening it'd still be awesome IMO!!

• 5 months later...

Well there is always room to debate. Tywin was really a good Hand of the King for 20 years, that´s true; but Barth was hand over 40 years and it was considered one of the best Hands. I will pick Barth as my favourite Hand with any doubt. Not only because his good actions as a Hand, also the books he wrote about dragons. A really interesting character.

Well there is always room to debate. Tywin was really a good Hand of the King for 20 years, that´s true; but Barth was hand over 40 years and it was considered one of the best Hands. I will pick Barth as my favourite Hand with any doubt. Not only because his good actions as a Hand, also the books he wrote about dragons. A really interesting character.

If he was able to find funds to feed all those dragons and keep the Kingdoms at peace then his case is very strong.

Archived