Best Hand of the King?

Batman

This topic is fairly self-explanatory, who would be the best candidate to rule the seven kingdoms as hand. No need to take into account the time of the series or any of that stuff, just name you choice and the reasons behind it.

It very much depends on the type of king ruling: a fresh and invested king like Aerys needed someone to spar with, so he named Tywin. An indolent king like Robert needs an eminence grise (like Ned, or Jon Arryn). And a boy king needs someone with a knack for navigating the political machinery, so one could look at Tyrion or Tywin. Finally, a visionary leader would need someone willing to do the dirty work, for which Stannis would be a viable choice.

Tyrion, Stannis, and Davos for the men.

For the women(I know this is unlikely but I don't care :P ) , I think Cat would make a good Hand and also the Queen of Thorns.

Baelor Breakspear seemed to have been the ideal hand. A Targ crown prince who actually empathises with the common people and has a bit of humility - I don't think he ever went on about "the blood of the dragon" - whilst still being a strong leader (he doesn't have the PR/image problems of his father or Tyrion). It would also have been good preparation for eventually becoming King.

In a perfect world, I think Margaery Tyrell would make a great hand. She shows in AFFC that she is extremely savvy to the ins and outs of public and political manipulation. Everything that she suggested to Tommen was smart and logical, and would have helped his rule immensely. If Cersei had been able to see that, the realm would have been much better off.

Varys would be great, since the guy is pretty much a one-man information network, a subtle genius, and just won't die. He'd make a great Hand, assuming he approves of the king in question.

"Death" seems to be the biggest problem for Hands of the king, so yeah. He's also the most savvy and dangerous viper of them all, so there's little chance of the others overthrowing him.

Depends really, is the court still the same snake pit? Are people trying to overthrow the iron throne?

The court will always be a snake pit, and people will always scheme to put themselves (or their heirs) on the throne. It's a given. You can't separate out a hand's responsibilities from his ability to navigate the treachery - that's probably the single most important part of his job.

Assuming Bloodraven is out of the running, I vote for:

1. Tywin

2. Littlefinger

3. Tyrion

4. Olenna Tyrell

Archived