[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

People calm down about Tywin dying/it being unrealistic if he doesn't die.

Charles Dance has explicitly stated there is a scene(his favorite) where the girl that keeps trying to kill him(Arya) gets a slight insight to his humanity. This clearly means she briefly views him as human, uses her kill elsewhere(true to character as she's an impulsive child) and then regrets it.

I actually like it better this way, because personally I think this will make it even more believable she didn't kill him than in the books, if done well, which I'm sure isn't in question considering its Dance.

What are you talking about!?

Over all I was disappointed with the episode. I felt that the Renly's death sequence was clunky... Westeros' analysis hit the nail on the head--it seemed rushed. I liked the two-dimensionality of the shadow in the books, it almost made me think of Peter Pan's shadow gone horribly wrong.

I am also very disappointed with Qarth--we got a glimpse of the grandeur of the city as the doors open at the end of 204, but I expected so much more than a garden party. The warlock did look great, however.

Overall, my main complaint with the season is the lack of intrigue and originality. Many of the new characters seem to be occupying archetypes (for example, Margery = scheming, ambitious, sex as a weapon/tool female). Petyr is running around doing Tyrion's bidding and baring his soul to Cat? Robb's getting lectured by a battlefield nurse? One thing GRRM's characters never do is fit nicely into some fantasy (or other) troupe. He likes to turn such conventions on their ears. I thought the first season did a good job of this, but it seems that the character's complexities are suffering due to the complexity of the story and each is becoming a means to an end.

Didn't Arya kill the Tickler herself? I guess they had to get him out of the way, but I forgot who her first ordered hit was against.

It was Chyswick, who she overheard telling a repulsive story about Gregor. Chyswick has clearly been cut from the show, as has Weese.

The Tickler going early makes sense, even if it does suck. That actor, or any actor for a part as small as the Tickler, would most likely not be available for work two seasons down the line, so they took him out early. Regrettable, but I understnad why it was likely done.

I'm curious who she'll kill next. My money would be on either Polliver or Amory Lorch.

I'm sort of worried that they haven't mentioned Lord Beric Dondarrion more often. I know in the last episode the Tickler mentioned "the Brotherhood" but I thought a Tywin council scene could have mentioned the threat Dondarrion poses to the Lannisters. Viewers need to know that Ser Gregor killed Dondarrion but that he still seems to be causing the Lannister army problems.

The Tickler going early makes sense, even if it does suck. That actor, or any actor for a part as small as the Tickler, would most likely not be available for work two seasons down the line, so they took him out early. Regrettable, but I understnad why it was likely done.

I'm curious who she'll kill next. My money would be on either Polliver or Amory Lorch.

I vote for Lorch, because he killed Yoren.

However, they still have the problem of needing to retain a super-minor actor for a very long time if they leave Polliver.

I’m betting she somehow gets Needle back sooner than two years from now.

I agree. And he just can't be so naïve as to take that stare from Arya after she had just gotten done saying "anyone can die" as anything but a threat to his person.

I agree, but Tywin isn't cruel. He knows his cupbearer is a northerner who speaks highly of Robb so it would be no surprise that she would want to see Tywin dead. But he wouldn't kill someone over that.

The death scene was sooo awkard.. And completely unemotional or climatic...

Qualithe was stupid...

Pyat pree was done well, samr with qhorin..

Dagmer is a nice addition...

The scene with tywin and arya was amazing... Im kinda annoyed about the tickler but thats one of my favorite scenes in the book

Also it look like we can kiss reek/ramsey goodbye since ser rodrick cassel will be dying with the ironborn

The Nit-Pick with Cersei and Tyrion: How come every idea that involves death either originates from Cersei or Joff? IN the books, wildfire was always Tyrion’s idea. Why not keep it that way? Why make Cersei leap up and start that race? Tyrion can have bad intentions too, you know? That doesn’t make him a bad guy

In the books the wildfire was Cercei's idea. It was just poorly thought out, poorly planned, and likely would have resulted in Kings Landing being burned down. Tyrion organized it and started people training with empty pots.

But how did Cassell get from Oxcross to Winterfell in like a week?

It was mentioned in episode 2, when Robb was sending Catelyn off to treat with Renly, that he was sending Cassell to Winterfell. That was two full episodes of traveling, which I think is reasonable.

Also i thoufh i made a thread about this but i guess it was deleted...

The whole shadowbaby thing was stupid... It shoulda ended last week with renlys death.. The way it started with it was stupid and kinda just seemed outta place at the beginning an awkward..

Also what was the point of focusin on renlys shadow on the tent wall if they were gona make as corny as possible...

Also brienne? Kilin the guards instead of loras? And then he dont blame her?

Wtf did they do to that scene....