[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

Also it look like we can kiss reek/ramsey goodbye since ser rodrick cassel will be dying with the ironborn

Ramsey's gone for this season I assume, maybe a we'll see him in season 3? I'm hoping in the last episode we'll have some sort of unexpected revelation involving Ramsey, not sure how they'll advance the Winterfell arc without him, just hoping they wont f it up too bad,

Edited by TheTrueMithrandir

Loved the epi but I am VERY disappointed about the Tickler. They didn't really play up the "is there gold in the village" line in the previous episode so it was not likely that a TV audience would remember it two seasons from now (if they break up Storm then season 3 will probably end with the Red Wedding). But Arya killing the Tickler and shouting about gold in the village was one of my fave moments from the books. Totally bummed. The Tickler is also supposed to be part of her prayer and of course that's out the window now. I'm starting to get worried a bit about Arya's story line. If the Northmen don't take Harranhall then how the hell do we get weasel soup... especially since the name weasal would make no sense at this point???

I agreee with those who said Stannis really started to feel like Stannis in this episode.

For some reason Rickon bashing those nuts really cracked me up.... no pun intended.

I'm wondering if Jon's story might dip into book 3 since it seems like he might have to do away with Quorin sooner rather than later.

Pyat Pree was good. Looking forward to the house of the Undying.

Overall it's a great adaptation, I just hope they don't continue to mess with Arya's story too much.

Renly did accept the King in the North, as long as Robb pledges fealty to him as High King, that was from the books.

His conversation with Cat made them sound like equals fighting together. He did say Robb would need to pledge loyalty to him, but that clashed with the rest of his sentiments. I felt like show tried to make it seem that had Renly not been killed at that moment he and Robb would have teamed up and saved the day. In the books I never got the impression that they were that close to making a deal that Robb would ever support.

I loved the episode. I think people are going to need to suck it up and accept that there are going to be changes. It was a fantastic episode from start to finish. Also, who knows maybe those two orphans will end up being J and M (yes I know they gave Bran his dream). But you know giving Bran the dreams made for good TV. Better than if Jojen had them to be honest. Its too bad Bran doesn't have a lot of screen time, b/c the kid who is playing him is near Masie's level.

Better for them to be cut them alltogether then butchering the characters down from Howland Reed's children to orphans. After giving Bran the greendreams and Theon coming fast I've made my peace not expecting the Reeds anymore. They've got a pretty big actress playing Osha and there's no way they're going to have her go off and disappear for who knows how many more books with Rickon unless she has to stop doing the show.

Loved the epi but I am VERY disappointed about the Tickler. They didn't really play up the "is there gold in the village" line in the previous episode so it was not likely that a TV audience would remember it two seasons from now (if they break up Storm then season 3 will probably end with the Red Wedding). But Arya killing the Tickler and shouting about gold in the village was one of my fave moments from the books. Totally bummed. The Tickler is also supposed to be part of her prayer and of course that's out the window now. I'm starting to get worried a bit about Arya's story line. If the Northmen don't take Harranhall then how the hell do we get weasel soup... especially since the name weasal would make no sense at this point???

I agreee with those who said Stannis really started to feel like Stannis in this episode.

For some reason Rickon bashing those nuts really cracked me up.... no pun intended.

I'm wondering if Jon's story might dip into book 3 since it seems like he might have to do away with Quorin sooner rather than later.

Pyat Pree was good. Looking forward to the house of the Undying.

Overall it's a great adaptation, I just hope they don't continue to mess with Arya's story too much.

I don't know how much of Jon book 3 we will get since Mance hasn't been casted afaik, but we do see Ygritte with Jon's sword but that might just be after he turns turncloak.

His conversation with Cat made them sound like equals fighting together. He did say Robb would need to pledge loyalty to him, but that clashed with the rest of his sentiments. I felt like show tried to make it seem that had Renly not been killed at that moment he and Robb would have teamed up and saved the day. In the books I never got the impression that they were that close to making a deal that Robb would ever support.

Well it depends,, if renly would have lived Robb might have gone with it since he loses so much of his forces in the next book

This is a great example of why I have a problem with the writing on the show vs. the book. It seems the writers on the show struggle with effectively stressing and pointing out strong parts of storylines and even characters. A lot of things seemed to be brushed aside and don't really stand out.

Asha- I couldn't agree more. I love love love her in the books, she is one of my favorites. "Yara" is a completely different character. She looks nothing like how Asha is described and just comes off as a spoiled brat. Granted, Asha does have some bratty moments in the book... But I feel like they are really portraying her wrong and it bothers me.

Of course I'm sad about no Jojen and Meera, but I think I can live with it... I really like Osha in the show.

(null)

I am just glad that after a really dark and depressing episode last week this episode had such a light and humorous tone, with NO sex scenes of any kind. I'm glad the D&D recognized that you can't just have a relentless depressing show and expect the audience to stick with it. I think it was very important after last week's episode that we have a non heavy episode to keep the casual viewers interested, and it's good that the show producers recognized that.

I know it's probably mentioned twenty times already but...

Why cut Jojen and Meera?! How would they progress Bran's story later on? Will he go north with just Hodor? Madness!

ETA: 3-eyed-raven?! I guess it could've been worse ... could've been 3-eyed-Hodor...

Edited by Solmyr

My thoughts about this episode.

First off, I am surprised they managed to do an episode without any nude scenes.

I didn't like how it was Brienne's idea to escape through the back of the tent, opposed to the front, in the book that was Catelyn's idea. Brienne had just got done saying she would not leave Renly's body, and then next second her mind is composed enough to know to go through the back, where they were less likely to run into anyone. I just don't think that made any sense, we are suppose to believe Brienne's whole world just came crashing down right in front of her eyes, and she just killed two people, which is something she has never done. So it is not very believable that she would come up with that idea, especially when she didn't think of leaving. That's why I think the book makes much more sense, having Catelyn be the level headed one.

The next thing I did not like, and that was them making Jon sound like a total brat, he is not Joffrey, or Edmure Tully. Jon would never brag by saying, "I fought and killed a Wight, how many Rangers can say that". Especially not to Lord Commander Mormont. I really hate what they are doing to Jon's character this season. In the books, Qhorin wanted Jon to go, because Jon had just had a "wolf dream" about the Wildlings, and he saw what they were doing. Qhorin also knew Jon was a Warg, and that's why he wanted Jon with him, because the "old powers were awakening", and Qhorin knew it might be nice to have a Warg with him that is a son of Winterfell. All of that is some great stuff, why would the show want to change it?

I mean I am not totally against change, but that's only if it's for the good. For example, in the show, when Ned was about to lose his head, he walked past Yoren and said "Baelor", letting Yoren know that Arya was there, at the statue of Baelor, and Yoren then knew to take care of Arya. That was never in the books, but even GRRM said that was a great change, because it was almost like one last gift Ned could give to Arya, and GRRM said "why didn't I think of that". So changes like that are great, I have no problem with good changes like that. The change with Jon in the scene where he says he wants to go with Qhorin, that change was the opposite of the change with Ned saying "Baelor" to Yoren. Why are they making so many nonsensical changes like that? I really don't understand it, they are changing things that are golden in the books, to make them shit in the show, this season. Why change the names of the guys that go with Qhorin? They kept Stonesnake, but why change Squire Dalbridge and Ebben? I could have heard the show wrong, one of the names might have been Ebben, but I know I did not hear the name "Squire Dalbridge", when Qhorin named the men that would be going to kill Mance Rayder. I loved Squire Dalbridge, and the history with his name(because he was once Squire to a King). Qhorin still had four people go with him in the show, including Jon, so why change the names, if they are going to have the same amount of people go with Qhorin as in the book? It's like they are changing things just to be different, and that's what I do not agree with.

Another dumb change, why make Theon not know who Dagmer Cleftjaw is? This is the guy who first put a bow in Theon's hands, he basically tought Theon how to walk, he was more of a father to Theon than Balon ever was. That history is way more interesting, than not having a history with Theon at all. Oh, and Dagmer's jaw was not cleft???

Why did they have Loras thinking it was Stannis that killed Renly, instead of thinking it was Brienne? I mean I know it was Stannis, but I swear they are trying to make Stannis out to be way worse in the show, than he was in the books. The great thing about the books is, you start out not liking a character, but as the books go on, you find yourself starting to like them. Thats how it was for me and many others when it came to Stannis. I am afraid though that they are making Stannis to unlikeable.

That's it for now.

Edit.

I am still not sold on Yara. At all. Everytime she "smiles"(if you can call it that), I want to cut my eyes out.

I will say though, I am very pleased with Dany's Qartheen wardrobe, it looked appropriate, and it made Daenerys look stunningly beautiful. I swear that is the most beautiful Emilia Clarke has ever looked, and that's saying something because I love Emilia Clarke, and I think she looks beautiful in everything. I never thought I would get over not getting to see one of Dany's boobs when she should be wearing a Tokar in the show, but in this wardrobe it is almost ok, because she just looked that good this episode, IMO.

Edited by Ghost714

My thoughts on the orphans is that they are going to get killed as "Bran and Rickton". Just wanted to give the audience an idea of who they were after we find out that they really aren't dead.

Edit: Haven't had time to read whole thread so don't know if that was brought up yet.

Edited by Dru

My thoughts on the orphans is that they are going to get killed as "Bran and Rickton". Just wanted to give the audience an idea of who they were after we find out that they really aren't dead.

Agree, I think it's clear the orphans given to the farmer are going to become the miller's boys.

Someone over at AV Club kept mentioning that D & D have said they aren't cutting out many characters, only shuffling around a lot of things, so it's possible Meera or Meera and Jojen will emerge in time to tell the stories and walk North with them.

I think it would be silly for Osha to have fled so fearfully from the North and then to decide to take Bran up past the Wall when he needs it. She's definitely need on Skaagos.

Edited by NymeriaLives

Good episode, but Renly accepting a King in the North :bs:. They're really going out of there way to make Stannis look bad and erase everything resembling a negative trait from Renly.

it's from the books, Renly would have accepted a king in the north under him as king of all of westeros

I still have this feeling Osha is going north with Bran. She is too withholding of any information and skips over the subject too easily. Bran will get his info from her and she will bite the bullet and return north as his guide. Lewin will end up with Ric in Skaagos. Just what I think the writers are hinting at. I'm ok with it.