[Book Spoilers] EP 205 Discussion

Ran

I think Rockroi's post was spot on. Jon has many things handed to him and we cheer him for it. Take off the blinders, indeed.

Yep, my second read through (of seven) I actually like the character of Jhn less. He seemed an angsty, whiny teen to me.

Edited by Balefont

I have to say i loved everything in this episode but did not know what to make of Quaith ( forgive the spelling) the masque was strange. i hope she will talk to Dany though.

Love A man, handsome looking ,and those eyes and lips.... more please.

No sex scene was a plus

I really do not like this Stannis even more than the book one.

Brienne was brilliant, i was very glad the see Q Halfhand, thought he was not cast so can i hope for my Reed?

Dragon and of course my Ghost Amen!

Aryan did make me laugh when she could not remember the house sigil ( I thought poor girl she must be wishing she had paid more attention at Septa's lesson.) thank the gods Tywing gave her a second chance.

Love qarth it did look very rich and beautiful.

Bronn and tyrion +++++

Edited by ghost the direwolf

... it seems that no one has told you that using the word "retarded" facetiously is hurtful. Your language seemed especially careless when it came on the heels of your pedantic denunciation of the use of "Viking" as a noun. While controversial, it is in common use in that fashion, even among prominent scholars of Norse history. David Wilson provides an excellent examination of the problems with narrowly defining the term here: http://www.archeurop...the-term-viking. I congratulate you on your precision; please just try to be compassionate when you're throwing around terms that label human beings.

Thank you.

Wow. Okay. You and all others here have my apologies. But, for the record, I would argue that getting offended by the use of a word is a bit more PC than most people on this board have ever seemed to come across in the time I was a lurker even before posting.

I'm in a wheelchair; I don't call myself "physically challenged," because I find that pretentious and annoying and I'm a grown man. I'm crippled, thank you very much. Words are only hurtful is you take yourself too seriously and allow them to hurt you. That said, it won't happen again.

As far as being "pedantic" goes, you apparently missed the whole "J/k" and the "LOL!" in my message. I was just trying to share a historically-pertinent fact. I'm sorry if you or others were offended.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Shadow dude looked like the bad thing from Fern Gully, and I wish the death had been more bloody, like a SWORD to the throat.

Brienne tearing it up was awesome.

I don't really understand how Loras and pretty much everyone else were like "oh yea, Stannis totally did it." what?

Loved seeing Roy Dotrice as Hallyne

Bran taking Jojen's dream; what does that mean? D:

I love Qarth, it reminds me of a Star Trek planet.

I really do not like this Stannis even more than the book one.

Yeah... honestly, it's hard for me to like him in the series, either. In the books... I don't know, he was just different, especially in how he talks to Davos. His line about "grieving Renly" felt half-hearted and tossed in there when in the books, he has a few very heart-wrenching lines to Davos about it, and I earnestly believe he does not know that he killed Renly. The whole thing with Mel saying she'll give him a son and then him ordering Davos to go do the shadowbaby was very, very, very poorly written, there has to have been a cut scene somewhere between one and the other. I'm earnestly surprised there hasn't been much complaining about it, but I guess no one really likes Stannis like I do. The show writers certainly don't - Dan Weiss said that Stannis would make a terrible king and that he lacked humanity, which - forgive me if I'm making a broad assumption here - I don't think George R. R. Martin believes. In an interview, he had said that Stannis was "a righteous man, in spite of everything else". Meh... I'm depressed.

Stephen Dillane has probably been doing a good job with what he's been given, but am I alone in thinking that the writing for Stannis' character so far has seemed very schizophrenic? Please tell me I'm not.

I do agree that book Stannis is more sympathetic than show Stannis, but then again most of the people who like Stannis didn't like him in the books until after he showed up at the wall, and gave his "duty before claim" speech. So maybe we should give show Stannis some more time.

Edited by The Scabbard Of the Morning

Maybe this has been brought up, I checked back a few pages and didn't see anything on it, but the part with the vault... Valyrian stone? Was this material ever mentioned in the books?

Yes, George speaks of various Valyrian building materials, not sure he mentions 'stone' but talks about roads and buildings a number of times. Seems the Valyrians not only were Dragon masters and steel masters, but also engineers with who used some mysterious mojo magic in making things. Did stuff nobody seems able to do anymore.

Edited by boojam

Another great episode. I loved all new locations and sets: Fist of the First Men and Qarth are amazing.

Renly's death and Drogon's Breath were awesome.

All scenes were great, but my favourite is Brienne swearing oath to Cat.

Pyromancer Halyne, Quaithe and Pyat Pree, Quorin were spot on.

I dont mind changes from the book.

I wonder how non readers reacted to shadowbaby killing Renly and did they figured out that Greyjoys will attack Winterfell.

I have to ask everyone to the topic of Jeor giving Jon Long Claw:

Doesn't the oath of the Night's Watch implicate that everyone saying the word only got the watch as family henceforth?

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come. "

To me, this is spot on solemnly a reason to give the sword to Jon since it's already clear that he is being "groomed for command" even before Jon saves the Old Bear, and to that actually saving Jeor's life. I don't find this whole "Jeor giving that super-precious sword to a greenboy" weird at all.

There's still plenty of time to find the dragonglass in the next episode, they haven't left yet.

I got some vague memory of that Half-hand sees himself in Jon.. Could have mixed it up with Jeor or even a coming part of the ranging itself.

Edited by Goodbrother

In terms of directors Alan Taylor was around last year,Alik Sakharov has directed one of the best episodes this season, and David Petraca did a fine job of E5. Not sure I know who David Nutter is. We have a lot of Alan Taylor this year. Neil Marshall is supposed to be an A list film director.

I have this personal experience (I'm going to share) almost everytime that I've been surprised of how good directed some episode of -insert series name here- was, It was directed by Tim VanPatten, last season he had the pilot (the second shoot, the first was with Taylor) and the second. This season I loved the Sakharov episode (Theon burning the letter) but I didnt like the directing of rest (clarification: I liked the episodes, but if you have this production and those AMAZING actors you have to be really very bad not to do a good episode...you came to the set with half the work done).

Alan Taylor doesn't do it for me, he delivers very efficiently but lacks "pepper" (I can't find a better term). This season seems heavily leant in the work of the actors. I went to imdb to see if we'll have a Tim Van Patten this season and, no, no this season.

I think the skill of the director add a subtle + capably to make an episode from good to excellent...how a certain framing and lightning can convey a climate, how to enhance the acting (noticed how out of timing was the expression of Littlefinger when Margaery tells him she wants to be "the" queen?... Aidan Gillen was very good, but the directing and editing was slacky. The same with the Tyrion/Lancel scene last week Dinklage is very skilled but Eugene Simon had a performance more apt to the theatre than the camera. He was good showing the desperation and fear of foreboding Joffrey's reaction, but came out a little cartoonish...that is not the actor's fault, is the direction

I think any problems have been with the teleplays not the directors.

I think the problem is the directors are occupied more with bringing the teleplay to life than with their craft

I don't like that Tyrion didn't catch that they were calling him the little demon monkey, Bronn would never have to tell him that if Tyrion heard the guy talking. Tyrion is smarter than that.

Yeah, I didn't buy that either. Also, Tyrion being upset that the smallfolk viewed him as pulling Joffrey's strings. With the exception of removing Janos Slynt for his role in the bastard massacre, we really haven't seen Tyrion doing much for the smallfolk.

I was just glad they finally starting playing up the civil unrest.

Please don't call them Vikings. LOL! J/k but that is a nitpick of mine. Viking describes an activity, not a people. People called Danes went viking i.e. raiding i.e. pillaging.

Okay, we won't call them Vikings, since that is etymologically suspect. But why can't we call them Norsemen or Old Norse? There's more to the vikingr than Danes.....

I agree for the directors matter... I miss one hell of a director too... they're all good, but they give just what is enough... I'm missing a real good one !

As for Lorch, I guess, that yes, we saw him at the table, not sure but I would guess so.

Edit: Yeah, checked again, I'm quite sure it's him, one of the men at Tywin's council.

Edited by Arkash

Yes, George speaks of various Valyrian building materials, not sure he mentions 'stone' but talks about roads and buildings a number of times. Seems the Valyrians not only were Dragon masters and steel masters, but also engineers with who used some mysterious mojo magic in making things. Did stuff nobody seems able to do anymore.

They crafted Dragonstone. Nobody knows how.