[Book Spoilers] EP 206 Discussion

Ran

Glad to hear Ramsay will be in it. But as a purist, this season has been painful. The show only uses the books as a guideline now. Don't say it's because of "budget." Last season stayed very close to the books, and a lot of plots/scenes have been added. Most of the dialogue in the show now never happened in the books.

Are you thinking of Rickard Karstark? Rodrik gets half his arm cut off by Ramsay when he shows up with the Dreadfort garrison and is killed as the Boltons begin attacking the rest of the Stark-loyal men.

The botched beheading happened in the books too, I think, just not with Ser Rodrik obviously. Also, it wasn't shown, IIRC. I seem to remember Theon inwardly raging about beheading somebody and it taking more than one stroke and making him look bad.

This is so wrong. We're not going to see Dany's visions, only DRAKARIS and boom, no more Pyat Pree. Disgusting. I'm not angry because of the theft, just because of what it origined. I wanted to see Rhaegar, the Blue winter Roses and the Red Wedding. I don't want to HBO to kill every handmaid.

At least Ramsey is in. Good, I want to see him dead in the books and in the series. And there's hope for Jojen and Meera, that's very, very good. And the King's Landing scenes were great.

The botched beheading happened in the books too, I think, just not with Ser Rodrik obviously. Also, it wasn't shown, IIRC. I seem to remember Theon inwardly raging about beheading somebody and it taking more than one stroke and making him look bad.

Yeah, it was Farlen, after the hunt for the boys. I edited that post but with the server the way it is, it took an hour or so to go through.

It is now a given that there are going to be big deviations from the books. I judge on whether they make the series better, worse, or just different. Tonight it was all better for me.

Shae/Sanza

Kidnapped dragons

Both improved the show. With all the serious action and excitement in the 7 kingdoms, Dany needed a thrill/ excitement boost to her storyline. Otherwise it can drag in this book.

Do we know for certain that Irri is dead? If so they're really reducing her Khalasar to a handful of people.

Also, the reason I was so happy to hear that Roose's "bastard" hasn't been cut (even though he was never cast) is because it gives us hope that the Reeds will turn up next season too. I imagine this season must somehow end with Bran and Rickon emerging from the crypts and we'll just see a helmeted Ramsey "take back" Winterfell.

This is so wrong. We're not going to see Dany's visions, only DRAKARIS and boom, no more Pyat Pree. Disgusting. I'm not angry because of the theft, just because of what it origined. I wanted to see Rhaegar, the Blue winter Roses and the Red Wedding. I don't want to HBO to kill every handmaid.

At least Ramsey is in. Good, I want to see him dead in the books and in the series. And there's hope for Jojen and Meera, that's very, very good. And the King's Landing scenes were great.

I'm pretty sure that whoever stole the dragons is going to the house of the undying, so she will probably pick them up there.

Glad to hear Ramsay will be in it. But as a purist, this season has been painful. The show only uses the books as a guideline now. Don't say it's because of "budget." Last season stayed very close to the books, and a lot of plots/scenes have been added. Most of the dialogue in the show now never happened in the books.

I definitely agree with this. I can't say I dislike this season because it has been amazing at times but I feel that they are just diverging from the books way too far this season compared to last season. I hope they pull it back a little closer as we get further in the season but I really doubt it will!

Stolen Dragons! Those damn Warlocks! Great twist away from the books. I also love the Arya and Tywin interactions their personalities mesh and this is an improvement from the books in my opinion. I'm also interested to see if Ramsey burns Winterfledt as soon as he takes it over or Robb's marrying that foreign girls springs it. It's also interesting they aren't setting up Tywin using the Westerling Daughter to drive a wedge between the north and the Frey

Stolen Dragons! Those damn Warlocks! Great twist away from the books. I also love the Arya and Tywin interactions their personalities mesh and this is an improvement from the books in my opinion. I'm also interested to see if Ramsey burns Winterfledt as soon as he takes it over or Robb's marrying that foreign girls springs it. It's also interesting they aren't setting up Tywin using the Westerling Daughter to drive a wedge between the north and the Frey's.

This was by far my favorite episode of the season. I give it 9/10, but only because I don't think anything can be truly perfect.

The Good:

-Ygritte - I could not stop saying throughout the episode how much I liked her. What a great casting, I'm absolutely stunned. I found it a little strange for Jon to be separated from the other Nights Watch brothers, but I'm sure it'll work itself out in the end. As long as they don't change the real reason for Jon killing the HalfHand (Following orders) then I am completely fine with it

- Arya/Tywin/LittleFinger -I love those scenes, I really do, and even though I know LittleFinger never recognizes Arya, because it never happened in the books and would have been very difficult to explain, it was still nerve-wracking. It was done extremely well. (I say it could never happen, but considering Dany lost the Dragons, I suppose anything can happen?)

- Robb/'Talissa' - So we're setting her up to be a spy then, and actually probably is Jeyne Westerling? I'm fine with that, it makes sense to me, I enjoy it.

-Theon - Wow was that opening scene great or what? Just the facial expressions from Theon when deciding about Roderik, I couldn't help myself from feeling some strong sorrow and even, maybe, sympathy?

- The Riot Scene (and before) - More or less straight out of the books, correct? The anger from Tyrion, the stupidity of Joffrey, the savior-ness(?) of The Hound, and the fear from Sansa were all portrayed wonderfully. When the Septon got torn apart... wow (Speaking of which, Theon cutting off Roderick's head was awesomely gory and a good juxtaposition to the man Ned executes at the beginning of season one

- Dany's first scene - Names escape me, but where she is requesting the ships - That man is wonderfully deviant and quite funny, and a little fierce too, when he wants to be. I think it was one of her best scenes in the show as well.

The "I'm not sure yet"

-Pretty much just the dragons at the end. I don't have a problem with it, and it makes it interesting. It certainly adds more to the House of the Undying, yes?

The Bad

-None?

The Interesting:

I think all the back-and-forth editing took away from the impact quite a bit. But did like the focus on all the Starks.

1. Sansa beaten, almost raped and rescued by Sandor.

2. Arya spotted by Baelish, Lorch and rescued by Jaqen.

3. Bran and Rickon held captive by Theon and rescued by Osha

4. Robb beguiled by Talisa and rescued from temptation (for now) by his mom.

5. Jon beguiled by Ygritte and rescued from temptation (again for now!) by the cold.

About the dragons -- I loved seeing two of their tails twitching as they were carried up the steps. And, like someone else just said, I can't wait to see Drogon burn the bad guys to a crisp.

I wonder if the person who betrayed Dani is Doreah. Whoever it was it, am guessing The warlocks have them and that's the reason she goes to the house of the undying. Big departure but makes sense, always wondered that no one tried this in the book.

Yes, this was a big, big shock. Can't believe Irri is dead - Great idea about it being Doreah. I never thought of that, but it was absolutely set up in the last episode.

Just like most have said, big, big changes from the books. I think I can operate in both realities, though. This show was great!

I let out a "woot!" when Roose mentioned his bastard son.

The riot scene was intense. Dismembering the High Septon was a bit much, though; I think the disembowelment and near-rape of a young girl was quite enough, thank you very much.

One change I didn't like was killing Ser Amory with the poison dart. It was a well-done scene on its own, but the great thing about Weese's death was that you were left scratching your head at how he got the dog to go nuts and kill his own master.

I'm pretty sure that there was nothing that indicated no visions. All the scene was meant to do was to get Dany to the HOTU in an exciting way. Once she gets there Pyat Pree can tell her that if she wants her Dragons she can do what he says. Then she drinks shade of the evening, has visions and gets the Dragons back...then dracarys. Dead warlocks.

Also, killing handmaids=not paying those actors next season which means money to pay other actors. No need to waste budget dollars on Irri, who plays no role in the book other than waiting on Dany, when you can use that on Edmure or Jojen or Meera or Ramsay.

First, it must be said. It is thee biggest elephant in the room. I saw Tonks' boobs. Stupefy.

I LOLed at how unimpressed Bran was when Theon, with his chest puffed out, gave him his wake up call. It was like Bran was two seconds away from hitting the snooze button and telling Theon to come back in 10 minutes. "God's help you Theon Greyjoy," indeed. RIP Ser Rodrik.

I enjoyed this episode. I'm waiting for the uproar over the Arya/Tywin bond, though, and how Tywin would never, ever, befriend a cup bearer, because he's Tywin and has no time for charming family anecdotes or unnecessary bowel movements -- once a day is plenty. Personally, I can't say I mind that Tywin is being humanized...even made likeable. I think it adds to the grayness of the show. And, the smile Arya let slip when complimented was also something I liked -- I think Arya got a rise out of being complimented by someone as capable as Tywin. She may hate him, but she respects him.

Also, I like how they're going about excusing her three choices...it's shades of the old "wasting 3 wishes" gag. "Damn it, Genie...I wish you would just shut up so I can think...wait, no, I don't wish that!" She was forced to use that "death wish" because of the situation. Littlefinger's appearance in this episode added some decent tension. And, I fully believe that he recognized Arya...and, just chose to keep it to himself. Why would he out Arya when knowledge is power, and outting Arya is giving up power? Can't wait to see where this goes.

Also liked the little tweaks to Ygritte/Jon's meeting. It feels a little more, I dunno, believable that Jon wouldn't allow Ygritte to leave...he just can't bring himself to kill her, so he'd rather try and carry her around as a prisoner. I think Rose Leslie will do well with the role.

Another Joff slap is always fun...add that to the reel. I will make this into a drinking game one day. Also, I like this friendship they're developing between Sansa and Shae. If nothing else, it will give Shae something to do...maybe even turn her into a better character than she was in the books. It'll make her later choices more difficult.

Heh, the Qarth Spice Merchant is good times. I'm sorry, but I kind of enjoyed how condescending he was to Dany. She needs it every so often. The dragon theft was an interesting non-book development...guess this is the GoT crew trying to invent things for Dany to do since she's pretty absent for so much of Clash.

We also got pretty good confrmation that Talisa is indeed a liar and most likely Jeyne. Did anyone see the letter Arya found on Tywin's table? Is Jeyne spying on Robb and sending intel to Tywin? It looks like she's up to no good. Oona Chaplin is hot.

And, thank you, Roose, for confirming that your psychotic bastard, Ramsay, will grace us with his fuckery. Can't wait.

Edited by Bastard of Boston