[Book Spoilers] EP 207 Discussion

Ran

I never hated Cat, I actually quite like her a character and frankly I think a lot of people hate her for entirely the wrong reasons.

I only hated her a little when reading AGoT, before we really got to know her better as a character; but, even then, it was just because of how poorly she treated Jon. Her reasons for disliking him are very human and understandable, but I still find it irrational to mistreat a kid because of things that are totally out of his control i.e. the manner of his own birth. Instead of being mad at Ned, she turned all that poison on the boy and made him feel unwanted his whole life when she had it within her power to make him think of her as his mother instead.

Terrific episode, probably the second best of the season. Loved the Harren the Black reference and the shout-out to the Brotherhood Without Banners.

And an even more awesome shot of the ruined majesty of Harrenhal.

Absolutely loved how Sansa-heavy this episode was. It was a true pleasure to watch, though I really could have gone without reliving the rape scene twice (both on the "last time..." and during Sansa's dream. Argh, but is that stuff tough to watch.) I also didn't expect to see her bloody legs, that was ... really really weird. But I suppose the POV shot was more effective than seeing the stain.

Also liked her conversations with the Hound and Cersei--she fought back against the former, but kept her mask on in the latter discussion. It's interesting. I'm looking forward to Maegor's Holdfast.

I also was happy we FINALLY got the tender Tyrion-Cersei scene. They needed at least one scene where they were almost civil, and I was sad we didn't get it earlier. Good to have it now.

Don't really care about the Qarth changes, Qarth is weird (pretty, but weird).

Loved the discussion of Rhaenys and Visenya (odd that Rhaenys is pronounced "ray-knees", since the i in "nys" is short in Aerys, Daenerys, and Viserys), and a Dark Sister namedrop. Didn't care for the conversation otherwise--people keep saying we never get a Tywin point of view, but that guy's soulless. This is the guy who had a girl gang raped because she was a peasant. Come on.

Jon/Ygritte really dragged, but we finally got THE LINE.

I'm really surprised that they chose to have Sansa's flowering scene - particularly because she's supposed to be a lot older than she is from the books. Are they counting on viewers to be completely ignorant to women's reproduction cycles?

They made a point of having Cersei ask her in the pilot whether she's bled, and then Joffrey says at the end of the first season that he'll father children on her as soon as she's bled. So that ship sailed a long time ago.

Yeah, she's a bit old at 13, but history shows that girls are "flowering" earlier and earlier--so it stands to reason that it happened later during a medieval time period. Perhaps her nothern diet was lacking in the proper nutrients. :P

Edited by Dragon of Valyria

I only hated her a little when reading AGoT, before we really got to know her better as a character; but, even then, it was just because of how poorly she treated Jon. Her reasons for disliking him are very human and understandable, but I still find it irrational to mistreat a kid because of things that are totally out of his control i.e. the manner of his own birth. Instead of being mad at Ned, she turned all that poison on the boy and made him feel unwanted his whole life when she had it within her power to make him think of her as his mother instead.

Yes but even in AGOT when she encounters Mya Stone she felts a twinge of shame for how she treated Jon. Cat is not perfect, but she is self-aware enough to own up to them.

Loved the way Dagmer looked at the two boys running in the courtyard. I think it's safe to say that the scene Alfie was talking about in episode 10 is the reveal that Dagmer is Ramsay. I personally love this and have come to terms with the changes.

Waldau's portrayal of Jaime is mind blowing. Next season will be amazing for him.

New mountain did ok in this episode.

I think they had to change the Quarth storyline to keep people interested as the book Dany storyline got stale from Clash till The very end of Dance IMO so there will be many more changes in the next few seasons.

I have to say that I think Alfie is the standout actor this season. I really enjoyed Tyrion in the beginning but damn they are just doing a fantastic job with the Theon arc.

Dagmer = Ramsay makes no sense

Yes but even in AGOT when she encounters Mya Stone she felts a twinge of shame for how she treated Jon. Cat is not perfect, but she is self-aware enough to own up to them.

Like I said, I only disliked her briefly, and, even then, only for the stuff concerning Jon. Otherwise, I liked her fine.

Dagmer = Ramsay makes no sense

Yeah, I thought it did until I realized the actor that plays Ramsay is older than the actor that plays Roose.

Never really care about changes. In fact, a lot I've liked. But why change Catelyn's reason for freeing Jamie? Finding out Bran and Rickon have died and releasing him in a fit of misery makes so much more sense. Really, there's no excuse for this change.

Edited by vntrlqst

Not in a purist way, I agree. But the way the show is being handled it makes perfect sense. Reek is not in the hunt, not at Winterfell, basically doesn't exist. But just look at Dagmer's actions and reactions to Theons choices. He is mirroring Ramsay. From a financial pov it makes perfect sense to merge the characters from the ones we have already seen. Ralph is not a big name actor but overkill for book Dagmer and miscast as book Dagmer but he fits the provoking, coniving side of Ramsay. So far Dagmer has been pushing Theon into all of his mistakes. I could be wrong and I'll be first to admit it but it just points to Dagmer = Ramsay.

Look on the brighter side, at least Ramsay exists in the show.

Why can't every episode be as good as this one? This was absolutely incredible. Pitch perfect TV yet enough deep ASOIAF jargon to keep any book fan happy. Truly amazing work.

Why was Harren called "Harren the Black" ?

Cause the day after he completed his big fortress, a dragon roasted him black. Being roasted black by a dragon ended up being his legacy, rather then having an awesome castle. That was the point of Tywin's story.

Yeah, people seem to have trouble understanding the difference between Dagmer serving in the role of Ramsey in this adaptation, to Dagmer being actually Ramsey in disguise.

Agreed. He's too old, in my estimation, to be Roose's son. The actor was 41 when filming most of these scenes. They've just consolidated the characters of Dagmer and Ramsey as he was when pretending to be Reek, most likely because they didn't want to yank budget funds from "Blackwater" to pay another actor's salary when, by doing it this way, they don't have to cast Ramsey until next season at the earliest.

Never really care about changes. In fact, a lot I've liked. But why change Catelyn's reason for freeing Jamie? Finding out Bran and Rickon have died and releasing him in a fit of misery makes so much more sense. Really, there's no excuse for this change.

Except for the way I've explained it 3 times already earlier in the thread, you mean.

Edited by J.S. Crews

Man, all the changes are fine by me except Jaime killing a cousin. It really doesn't jive with how Jaime's character should/would act in that situation. I can't see Jaime, even with his pre-handchop personality flaws, killing a family member.

I liked the Tywin/Arya scenes. Don't get me wrong they definitely seemed out of character regarding Book - Tywin, ... he would occasionally threaten to smile and it was terrible to behold, but these scenes, based entirely on their own merit, are amazing and are some of the better changes from the books.

In the books he did smile a lot privately with Cersei - I believe this was a revelation by Kevan. If that makes it easier for ya for his private scenes with Arya - this is not nec a change just a side not many see.

Consolidating Reek into Dagmer would take a lot out of the character if indeed there will be a different Ramsay later

All it changes is him pretending to be Reek to avoid being killed by Ser Rodrik, which would be pretty difficult to explain seeing as how the series has never mentioned anything about him forcing Lady Hornwood to marry him, then starving her to death to get her lands, or his "hunting" of peasant girls, nor of Ser Rodrik being sent to arrest him in the first place. Ramsay can still be the same soulless, flay-happy monster as always, with or without the initial Reek deception. Very insignificant deviation.